Alvis, I gotta' say that your builds ALWAYS, and I mean every single time, get me back to the workbench and building more. Thanks!

In today's 1/18 JMNs diorama (for which I would love to see you enter in a contest and stick a teeny-tiny microphone to pick up judge talk) I have a question, though. Now to be sure, I spent twice as much time trying to decide if I want to know the answer as I spent trying to figure it out... lol! I have been to a few contests... entered less... overheard some of the JMN judges pick apart what I thought was a fantastic build...

.. yet I don't recall a one of them hoisting a ballpeen hammer around... Losers get smashed? I suspect there is a backstory, as there almost always is, and am giving you carte blanche and a topic to tell it... or make it up.

Maybe the Canookian judges are even tougher than the ones here?

Over, out. :thumbsup:

~ Tracy (and yes I am aware it is bloody 0430 in the morning and all sane folks would be asleep while I am tapping away... insomnia sucks.)

Edited by Clumber
Alvis, I gotta' say that your builds ALWAYS, and I mean every single time, get me back to the workbench and building more. Thanks!

In today's 1/18 JMNs diorama (for which I would love to see you enter in a contest and stick a teeny-tiny microphone to pick up judge talk) I have a question, though. Now to be sure, I spent twice as much time trying to decide if I want to know the answer as I spent trying to figure it out... lol! I have been to a few contests... entered less... overheard some of the JMN judges pick apart what I thought was a fantastic build...

.. yet I don't recall a one of them hoisting a ballpeen hammer around... Losers get smashed? I suspect there is a backstory, as there almost always is, and am giving you carte blanche and a topic to tell it... or make it up.

Maybe the Canookian judges are even tougher than the ones here?

Over, out. :thumbsup:

~ Tracy (and yes I am aware it is bloody 0430 in the morning and all sane folks would be asleep while I am tapping away... insomnia sucks.)

I can't speak for Alvis, but years ago IPMS-Dallas did a hilarious video on how to judge at model contests. It opened with the judges being led into the room by a goose-stepping Nazi type, and while the commentary was legitimate, the video showed the judges smashing losing entries with a hammer! We found out later that the "contest models" were donated soon-to-be-scrapped models done by club members, so the video certainly wasn't done at a real contest.

The only possible inaccuracy that I could see was that the typical JMN's I've seen at contests were far more out of shape than the well-conditioned JMN's in the diorama! Nonetheless, I had many, many, laughs from this presentation! It should become a classic at whatever contests it is presented at live.

Andy

The ball peen hammer has, to my knowledge, never been issued to JMNs, so yes Clumber, you caught me out. It's completely innaccurate! :blink:

I am a failure at modelling....I'm going to take up knitting or raising dogs as a hobby instead! :worship:

In all honesty, the lil guy in green needed somethiong to grasp in his left hand, and a hammer was easier to build than anything I could come up with. However, I once did a video newsletter for my local model club that was being over run with obnoxious types, and one of the articles was "A new High Speed Judging System" which involved my and a claw hammer taking out models. It was actually funny to watch the car guys laugh until I started hitting cars, the plane guy laugh when I started hitting cars, and the armour guys only laughing when I wasn't hitting tanks.

Alvis 3.1

I, for one fail to see the humour in any of this. Why, even an infant can tell that there is serious social commentary at work here.

Al Petrie, you are my hero. A Gawd among Gawds.

Now if you will excuse me, I am off to listen to my newly-digitized version of "Springtime For Hitler."

Toodles.

I, for one fail to see the humour in any of this. Why, even an infant can tell that there is serious social commentary at work here.

Al Petrie, you are my hero. A Gawd among Gawds.

Now if you will excuse me, I am off to listen to my newly-digitized version of "Springtime For Hitler."

Toodles.

That's the one where all the nazi references have been edited out and happy faces put in their places, or was I thinking of the new Spielberg Director's cut?

Alvis 3.1

That's the one where all the nazi references have been edited out and happy faces put in their places, or was I thinking of the new Spielberg Director's cut?

Alvis 3.1

You've seen it!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

You know, Alvis, the sign on the table says 1/48 scale, but in 1/18 scale those 1/720 scale planes only work out to 1/40 scale.

What? What'd I say?

Hey guys, put down those X-acto knives.

Guys? GUYS?!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:wasntme:

Seriously, thanks for the laughs, Alvis.

My bad, they are actually 1/16th, not 1/18th! That's what happens when you do write-ups at 2AM, instead of wakey time hours! At that scale, the lil planes work out to 1/45th, so I figure that's close enough for a kit assembler like me!

Alvis 3.1