Shading panel lines/plane is all black

How would you go about shading the panel lines (raised) on a plane that is painted entirely flat black?

What's the aircraft?

You might want to pre-shade straight balck and then painted the plane with a slightly lightened black. Straight flat black never looks realistic in scale.

I agree with Joe. A more "realistic" scale effect would be to use various shades of dark grey, or your flat black lightened up a few degrees in various places, etc. For your raised panel lines, I would perhaps spray a dark grey along the lines. If you want panel lines to show up on light surfaces, you make them darker. If you want them to show up on dark surfaces, you make them lighter. That is the general rule of thumb. Why not play around with some different shades on some scrap plastic and see what effects you come up with, and then decide which you like best? In the end, it has to please you, anyway. Just out of curiosity, what are you building? A Black Cat Catalina, by any chance?

HTH,

I agree with Joe. A more "realistic" scale effect would be to use various shades of dark grey, or your flat black lightened up a few degrees in various places, etc. For your raised panel lines, I would perhaps spray a dark grey along the lines. If you want panel lines to show up on light surfaces, you make them darker. If you want them to show up on dark surfaces, you make them lighter. That is the general rule of thumb. Why not play around with some different shades on some scrap plastic and see what effects you come up with, and then decide which you like best? In the end, it has to please you, anyway. Just out of curiosity, what are you building? A Black Cat Catalina, by any chance?

HTH,

This is gonna sound crazy, but I am into "what if" schemes, just to make things interesting, the aircraft is a monogram B-52D and possibly an XB-70 that I have in my small stash. Just geting ideas. Thanks for the info. I saw some photos on the research pages of an all black AC-130 and thought that would look awesome on BUFF.

I've started using Tamiya 'Nato Black' rather than flat black for large area coverage. Its more a very very dark grey/green under the right light. Mixing it with flat black and light grey you can post shade it lighter/darker as much or as little as you need.

DetailLower.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Believe it or not, i've seen some black aircraft models with lighter grey for the panel lines and it looked great. after all, panel lines are just a representation of the way the light breaks up at a panel separation, sometimes the light causes a highlight on dark surfaces instead of a shadow. anyway, just a suggestion.

Bill

I paint Flat black the pre-shade and INTERIOR black the rest. Interior black is a very dark gray, almost black, and you can notice the difference.

Take Care

Thanks for all the tips guys. Who makes the interior black?