Cranked Arrows Over Afghanistan

The subject of my Group Build entry is based on the question: What if the USAF had chosen an XL based design over the F-15E? My goal is to build a Block 50 F-16F depicting how she might have looked providing Close Air Support in Afghanistan during OEF.

Although this is a What-If build and we have free reign to mix in whatever we want, I wanted to specify the following details:

• Block 50 -F's carry both Sniper XR Targeting Pod and LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod.
  • Block 50 -F's have both WAR HUD and HUD Repeater in the cockpit (differing from other Vipers in the Block 50 family)
  • CFT's were used to free up wet/dry stations (2, 16).
  • Avionics Dorsal Spine was added to allow more room for upgrades.

The following design points are out of scope and not addressed in this build. These were some of the negative points that the XL had during the design competition.

• Shelf life of the composite airframe components out in the field.
  • The fact that the XL was single engined (compared to the dual engined Strike Eagle).
  • Maintenance/spare parts availability between the XL vs. F-15.
  • Although the XL did have the heavyweight landing gear, another solution would eventually be needed to support the increased weight of the XL and its' loadouts.

The Build

• Hasegawa F-16CJ "Misawa Japan" Kit# V10.
  • Cockpit and canopy from Hasegawa F-16DJ kit #9352.
  • ATTIC Aircraft Two Seat F-16XL Conversion.
  • CMK Avionics Dorsal Spine
  • CMK Conformal Fuel Tanks
  • Royale Resin Antenna Upgrade (Nose, CCIP, Antenna).
  • Royale Resin Block 50/52 Wheel Set.
  • Legend ACES II Ejection Seat Set.

The Loadout

This is subject to change, but my current selection is shown below. Station number shown in parenthesis.

Sniper XR AN/AAQ-33 Targeting Pod (10)

LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13 Navigation Pod (8)

Left Wing

1xAIM9 Sidewinder (1)

1xGBU-31 (2)

5xGBU-38 (5F, 5C, 5A, 4F, 4A)

Right Wing

4xGBU-12 (13F, 13A, 14F, 14A) *Not sure if I can make two -12's fit inline at 14F and 14A.

2xCBU-103 WCMD (15F, 15A)

1xAGM-65 Maverick (16)

1xFACE Pod (17)

Forward Missile Pylons

Empty (6, 12)

Rear Missile Pylons

2xAIM-120 AMRAAM (7, 11)

Paint/Markings

I initially was thinking of using some OEF Mountain Home paint/decals. However, I am still debating whether or not it is "inappropriate" to use Strike Eagle markings. My current feelings are that they would be fair game given that the USAF had chosen the XL in this What-If scenario.

[update - 02/22/09]

I've decided to go with a Strike Eagle paint and markings:

Afterburner Decals sheet #48-031:

Well, there it is. Hopefully I can get started on this thing and get some pictures posted. Stay tuned!

--Will

Edited by PolymerAddict

First read through I was thinking "what, he's doing an F-15XL?? That would be SWEET!" then I realized it's a Viper XL, which is equally cool, and I love this thing. That might well wind up quite an expensive build in total though, with all the resin. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks guys! I will use it as motivation once I start chewing on that ATTIC resin and wonder what I've gotten myself into. I have the ATTIC wings and fuselage halves somewhat cleaned up, but they still need work.

Anyway, to clear up a few questions:

- ChernayaAkula

There might be other names for it (and I am no where near "in the know" so I apologize in advance) but from what I understand a FACE pod is used to aid communications between the pilot and those on the ground in areas where line-of-sight conditions are not ideal (like the mountains of Afghanistan). I am not sure if they are currently being used, but A-10's and F-15E's did carry them during OEF. A sample loadout can be seen here at the f-15strikeeagle site.

- Sauragnmon

I hear you on the build cost. I did pick up the ATTIC two-seater specifically for this Group Build, but I had most of the other CMK and Royale Resin pieces sitting unused in the stash. I recently found the Legend seats for 4.99 on ebay, so that wasn't too bad. Especially for a closed pit. I think my wife will be happy to see the resin stash decrease :thumbsup:

I was flirting with the idea of providing the weight breakdown of resin vs. plastic parts in the build, but we'll see. Given the weight of the ATTIC wings my XL will need its' own special heavyweight gear MLG.

--Will

I was flirting with the idea of providing the weight breakdown of resin vs. plastic parts in the build, but we'll see. Given the weight of the ATTIC wings my XL will need its' own special heavyweight gear MLG.

--Will

You could do what SAAB did with the Gripen NG, you could build fairings a little farther back than the original MLG wells, on the wingroot there and have F-14 legs or something.

<...> a FACE pod is used to aid communications between the pilot and those on the ground in areas where line-of-sight conditions are not ideal (like the mountains of Afghanistan). <...>

Ah, I see! I think I read about them in some magazine (or someone here on ARC told me) and that they basically contain mobile phone technology. :lol:

You could do what SAAB did with the Gripen NG, you could build fairings a little farther back than the original MLG wells, on the wingroot there and have F-14 legs or something.

Actually a pretty nifty idea! :wasntme: You could have them rotate into the old wheel wells. Or something along the lines of what the Flanker uses...

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe it has been over a month since my first post. The day job has been keeping me pretty busy. Any free modeling time I had went to finishing up a 1/48 Revell F-14D and a 1/72 Hasegawa SR-71. Now that those builds are just about fully baked, I should be able to move on with this one :woo:

Although barely anything has been done I thought I'd throw up some pictures to give the project some semblance of a pulse.

fuselage.jpg

Figure 1: ATTIC Fuselage Halves and Hasegawa Donor Kit Tail.

In Figure 1 you can see the areas of the fuselage that have been cleaned out (outlined in red).

• The top half of the fuselage came with both the front and rear cockpit areas filled in with a light resin flash.
  • The bottom fuselage half had a thicker resin "plug" where the intake goes. Since I have a seamless sucker intake I needed to hollow this area out to make it fit.
  • To the right is the rear portion of the XL that had to be cut from a Hasegawa donor kit :thumbsup:

wings.jpg

Figure 2: ATTIC F-16XL Wings.

In Figure 2 the ATTIC wings can be seen. Nothing major has been done with them yet.

• I've removed the casting blocks and trimmed off excess resin at the wingtips (both shown in red).
  • The flaps have been cut out as I plan to show them dropped in this build.
  • I am still debating whether or not to cut out the area indicated by #1. I have seen pictures showing that area of the leading edge pointing upward (like a flap). It will be a little tricky to get it right, but I am leaning towards doing it.

Other than that, progress has been pretty slow. I plan to at least get started with the cockpit this week. On a positive note, I received my decal sheet from Afterburner Decals, so there is one less variable to worry about. I went with their "Gunfighters" Strike Eagle sheet.

Oh, and to answer some of the previous questions on the thread:

• I had planned to keep this build closer to what "stock" Block 50's are configured with. Which for me means the -129 engine, no canards, standard landing gear setup, etc...
  • I plan to use the standard Strike Eagle paint job. Especially now that I've finally settled on the markings.

--Will

Edited by PolymerAddict
  • 1 year later...

Thanks to the Mods for moving the thread to this forum. As you can see, it has been stalled for quite some time but I hope to get going on it again soon. There has been *some* progress over the last year. Here is a more recent picture I've taken of the build:

1037899029_WHyGM-M.jpg

Black Box pit is in, fuselage halves and Hasegawa donor section are assembled. The rest of the pieces are just held on by blu-tack or tape for the mock up photo. Still a long way to go for this build ;)

I'll get more updates posted when I have them.

--Will