Hasegawa 1/48 F-14B (VF-32)

Hi guys... well, it's time for another project. This time for the Tomcat GB 2.0.

Gonna build the 'gawa 1/48 F-14B. I think I'm over my fear of this monster ;-) I'll be using Fightertown's excellent VF-32 sheet for the decals and stencils and Steel Beech's bomb racks which also come with the cockpit changes for the F-14B.

IMG_3152Medium.jpg

Dry test fitting:

IMG_3161Medium.jpg

IMG_3160Medium.jpg

IMG_3162Medium.jpg

Some needed enhancements to the ejection seats:

IMG_3168Medium.jpg

IMG_3169Medium.jpg

Work on the pit done thus far:

IMG_3183Medium.jpg

IMG_3180Medium.jpg

IMG_3181Medium.jpg

Thanks for looking. And as always, any advice or comments are most welcome.

Best,

-Greg

Edited by lgl007

"Fear of this monster"? :D Dude, you tackled the Heller/Edurad Miarge 2000 and made a fantastic job of it. :thumbsup: This ought to be smooth sailing, in comparison! :D

Nice to see pilots in the it! In-flight or still on the ground?

Pilots we don't need no stinking pilots.

Just kidding. Nice job on that cockpit painting.

I just needed a laugh.

Greg you should join the Tomcat GB. If you haven't already.

Jim. I am going to get started sooner rather than later. I hope.

Edited by jimz66

Cheers guys...

Mortiz... haha ya that Mirage was a PITA for sure... but there is just something about the sheer number of bits in the box the scare the crap out of me when it comes to 'gawa F-14's.

Yup... I love to keep pilots in the pits... especially as the Fightertown decal sheet comes with shoulder, chest and helmet decals :-) And yes, it will be parked on the ground...

Jim: yes, I've already joined the GB... =)

-Greg

Hey guys... firstly thanks for the great comments...

ooritz10: Stripes on the ejection handles... just freehand with a fine brush... I have a pretty steady hand ;-P

Mist: For all my interior bits I use Citadel acrylics... they are just so easy to use... dry quickly and rock hard. So it makes painting such fine details like the ejection handles a real breeze...

I was going to add color to the control panels, but when i look at real pics and I squint my eyes, the various colors just don't show up. So I figure when you shrink the detail even further the color would wash out even more. So the panels are just black and gray drybrush really... except for the screen which are very dark gloss with future on top to give em some shine. I do take more time with the ejection seats (color wise) as they really do stand out and are really the first thing you see when you look into a pit... 'cept if you have pilots... the helmets will be the focal point ;-) Should be nice... I'm hoping they turn out as good as my A-7 driver ;-)

IMG_0914Medium.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a couple of the new helmet heads for the pilots (thanks to Shawn 'Phantom' Weiler) since the ones that come with the kit are those worn up to about early or mid 1980's. So for the F-14B they will be like the one's I did on my F-4G project but in white...

IMG_1641Medium.jpg

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

Got a small update to post. Haven't had too much time to work on the project over the last few weeks... but making slow progress none the less.

Needed to spruce up the back wall in the pilot's section of the tub. It was a bit bare...

IMG_3185Medium.jpg

Made the panel covers to look more like leather using the usual tissue paper method...

IMG_3184Medium.jpg

IMG_3190Medium.jpg

Also used the tissue paper method on the side walls and added a few details...

IMG_3192Medium.jpg

Finished up the pilots...

IMG_3191Medium.jpg

IMG_3195Medium.jpg

Here's what the pit looks like so far...

IMG_3189Medium.jpg

IMG_3188Medium.jpg

IMG_3187Medium.jpg

Question: The Fightertown VF-32 Swordsmen sheet comes with these really great decals for the back of the helmets of the pilots. Does anyone have any pictures of the VF-32 helmets with these great grafics on them? I want to see how far the lines extend in either direction from the back where the squadron logo is...

Thanks for any help you guys can provide and thanks for looking. As always,comments and recommendations welcome :-)

Best,

-Greg

Thanks for all the great comments gents.

Brian: thanks for the helmet photo - U ROK! You got any more? Looks like there is also a dark area on TOP of the helmet that I don't have on my pilots... got other angles of the helmet?

limyc: the 'tissue paper method' is quite simple to simulate folded leather/material in scale. Take some thin tissue paper... crunch it up alot, cut out a relative size for where you are going to place it. Then mix what glue with water (about 50/50), brush onto the area and apply the tissue paper. Then with the glue/water mixture apply some more with a brush on top.. make sure to keep the folds in all the 'right places' and such. The glue will harden. Trim off the excess tissue paper, paint and weather... looks the charm! Whoever came up with this idea was a genius... hehe... certainly wasn't me ;-) Certainly makes it look more like the real thing.

-Greg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The black patch is a piece of Velcro so you can just paint the area black and it will work fine looking awesome Erick

Thanks for all the great comments gents.

Brian: thanks for the helmet photo - U ROK! You got any more? Looks like there is also a dark area on TOP of the helmet that I don't have on my pilots... got other angles of the helmet?

limyc: the 'tissue paper method' is quite simple to simulate folded leather/material in scale. Take some thin tissue paper... crunch it up alot, cut out a relative size for where you are going to place it. Then mix what glue with water (about 50/50), brush onto the area and apply the tissue paper. Then with the glue/water mixture apply some more with a brush on top.. make sure to keep the folds in all the 'right places' and such. The glue will harden. Trim off the excess tissue paper, paint and weather... looks the charm! Whoever came up with this idea was a genius... hehe... certainly wasn't me ;-) Certainly makes it look more like the real thing.

-Greg