1/72 Fujimi Grumman F-14A Tomcat

While the "aggressor" Fulcrum still needs some finishing touches I decided to start my next project - a Tomcat. Revell's old 1/144 F-14A was my first model ever so I've always had a soft spot for this beautiful aircraft.

The reason for the vagueness of the topic description is simply that I really can't decide which markings to choose. If I had decals for VF-143 (Pukin' Dogs), especially for the CAG bird, this would get even more complicated. A fifth option would be VF-142, but luckily I've only got three set of markings to choose from. :thumbsup:

Special thanks for JackMan for the VF-32 markings!

9-13-1.jpg

Edited by janman

I intend to use PE side panels from Hasegawa's F-14D kit (which conveniently also includes PE parts for F-14A), while the seats will come from Aires.

The aft cockpit's rear bulkhead should have a recess behind the seat but as it will be blocked by the seat, I gave up doing it. Instead I scratched some hose detail, modified the turtle neck behind the seat, added the air vents on both sides of the seats and scratched a map case for the pilot and the circuit breaker boards in the aft cockpit. More will follow.

9-13232.jpg

9-13234.jpg

Hase PE parts were also used on the afterburners.

9-13233.jpg

Thought you said you were going out of the box on this one. Dont look OOTB to me. Cant wait to see more though.

Did I say so? :D Maybe I meant that this kit doesn't need such excessive modifications as the previous one did.

Seems OOB is an unknown concept for me nowadays. I need more details. :thumbsup:

hehe Jan. Maybe I can find some decals for you aswell - Colourful ones :D Oh and I think the little lady will come faster than you will be able to finish this one - as much OOBish you wanna go with it :thumbsup: If I were you I'd start piling up a stash of HB Easy Kits :D

hehe Jan. Maybe I can find some decals for you aswell - Colourful ones :D Oh and I think the little lady will come faster than you will be able to finish this one - as much OOBish you wanna go with it ;)

That WILL truly happen, I have no doubt about that. Ahh, and which markings would you possibly have, mate..? :popcorn: Hail to the hi-viz kitties of the early 70's!

If I were you I'd start piling up a stash of HB Easy Kits :D

Get the heck out of here, Seb! :D

9-13279.jpg

One thing with the Fujimi kit that has always bothered me are the two air conditioning system ducts near the intakes. The mesh parts covering the ducts are way too rectangular compared to the real things.

I drilled out the original part and made new ones from PE. The only mesh I found that at least somehow resembles the 1/1 parts come from Studio 27's PE set for Hasegawa 1/24 Lancia 037 Rally. The mesh was meant for the backside of the radiator but as it shouldn't be very visible on the finished car, I was forced to sacrifice it.

I also lenghtened the part in front of the duct since it's a bit too short on the kit. Looking quite rought at this stage.

9-13280.jpg

The scratched fan that was supposed to be seen through the mesh - just like in the real thing.

9-13283.jpg

...but it doesn't show much since the mesh is a tad too thick. :thumbsup: Well, at least I tried. :thumbsup:

9-13286_edited.jpg

hehe I don't recall anyone dealing with this meshes before... especially in 72nd scale! But I wouldn't expect nothing less from you ;)

PS: will search for some colourful decals this evening ;)

Thanks, Seb! If you have some hi-viz era Pukin' Dogs or Freelancers markings, I'll gladly accept them - if you don't need them. Unfortunately it will make my life extremely hard since I can't decide which markings to choose!

Hi!

Great job on those fans! They can´t be more than 2-3 mm apiece. ;)

One more thing, dunno if you´ve thought about this before, but included in some car models there is nylon mesh supplied that is very finely woven.

Should you desire some for future projects, I might have some untouched sheets in my spares box. ;) Not that there is anything wrong with the one you have, no critique at all. :)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Emil

Revell's old 1/144 F-14A was my first model ever so I've always had a soft spot for this beautiful aircraft.

I know what you mean. I fell in love with this aircraft when, as a boy, I watched "The Final Countdown". Those 70's/ early 80's schemes really get me excited :D

Then, a few years later, I watched "Top Gun" and suddenly fell in love with lo-viz schemes. Then I happen to clean my book shelf & found my old book, "The Cutting Edge" by Heater 'Heatley' and fell back in love with hi-viz Tomcats again :cheers:

Special thanks for JackMan for the VF-32 markings!

Always a pleasure, my friend. :bandhead2: Looks like you managed to get rid of most of the yellowing. :) I'm just glad they went to a good home. Good luck, I'll watch this build with interest.

Always a pleasure, my friend. :bandhead2: Looks like you managed to get rid of most of the yellowing. :cheers: I'm just glad they went to a good home. Good luck, I'll watch this build with interest.

Some of it, yes, but not all. The problem is that the weather's been quite cloudy for the past weeks and even if the sun was shining, it's so low compared to the the zenith that the apartment buildings nearby block the straight sunlight for the most of the day.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I hope to see those Indian Flanker decals soon on your model!

Hi Janman,

it's looking good so far. I too was inspired by seeing Tomcats in "The Final Countdown", so i'm also a strong advocate for the 1970s early paint schemes.

I'm doing a high-vis bird in VF-41 markings, but its not a high priority.

It's kind of tough, but a really nice paint scheme worth considering is VF-211 "Checkmates" in the original delivery scheme. Somehow it looks so much nicer on a Tomcat than it did on the F-8.

Finally, the Fujimi kit goes together pretty well, but be careful not to squeeze the air intake trunks together too much while gluing or you may have a problem filling the gap along where they butt against the flat lower fuselage segment. Also, be careful when filling around the forward-aft fuselage splice point. Fujimi put the "break" right where the angle change is in the lower canopy sill. You could run into fit and gap problems if you choose to depict the canopy closed, if ye play things too fast and loose in this area.

Aside from that, Fantastic work. FLY NAVY!!

Cheers,

david

This is looking good already Jan :thumbsup:

How'd I miss the start of this build? :wacko:

I like what you've done with the A/C ducts. They're quite an improvement on the kit parts. Great minds think alike as I'm planning to try something similar.

The flameholder rings also look great.

I'll follow this build closely now that I've found it :lol: .

Please keep us all updated.

:thumbsup:

Be aware that the cockpit tub in that kit is mounted about a quarter of an inch too far forward, which is very visible if you look at it in side view with the seats in place. On my ones I simply remove the areas behind the rear bulkhead and locate the tub back against the rear fuselage deck part. Also means removing the plinth the RIO's panel locates on and moving it similarly. Five minute job and huge improvement.

Still a better model than Hasegawa's kit!

^ Might be too late now. Thanks anyway, hadn't noticed it. There are some other inaaccuracies as well, for instance the Phoenix pallets seem to be too short. I'll probably add an extra piece in front of the aft ones since the gap between the pallets appears to be too long. I also added some rivets on the pallets, which otherwise look reasonably well executed.

9-13303_edited.jpg

The cockpit needs a wash but is otherwise quite ready. I made a pair of ejection tubes for the cockpit bulkheads but since the seat will cover them completely I'll probably leave them out. The throttle console is scratched as are many other details. The photo etch side panels come from the Hase F-14 kit and so do the smaller panels on both sides of the main instrument panels (not added yet).

9-13292_edited.jpg

9-13293_edited.jpg

9-13294_edited.jpg