1/72 Fujimi Grumman F-14A Tomcat

I suppose the rear part of the front gear well (the narrow trench) is mostly empty without any hydraulic lines etc.? I haven't found perfect photos of it, but it seems the only details would be some odd rows of rivets inside it.

I suppose the rear part of the front gear well (the narrow trench) is mostly empty without any hydraulic lines etc.? I haven't found perfect photos of it, but it seems the only details would be some odd rows of rivets inside it.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/vodnik/f-14a_walk_1.htm

Right, only some rivets. Hope this helps.

I guess I've never seen a finished P&W TF30 engine provided with Fujimi F-14 kit. I decided to give it a go.

The engines don't seem to be perfectly accurate when compared to photos of the real thing. There are shapes that I haven't found on a 1:1 engine and some of the piping isn't accurate either, not to mention the accessories below the engines. Having said that, I'm naturally no expert on P&W engines but I'm sure with some scratch-building I should have a decent replica of the ill-fated P&W TF30 turbofan.

f-14A033.jpg

f-14A034.jpg

the engine looks great.will it be posed inside the kit or it is just meant to be displayed on a rack or something?

Thanks, Dragan. Both engines (I'm building only one) have their own engine dollys on which they are meant to be placed. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

I have missed this one because of the obvious reasons.... :P

Great work so far Jan, but remember, Russian Mafia will never forgive you if you work as hard as you do with Russian related kits! :D (i know, really long sentence...)

Is it now i am supposed to come out of the closet, and admit that i have always liked the looks of F-14? :D

Hoi Jan,

That is a nice kit that looks much nicer with what you are doing to it. Sweet job!

And congrats on the upcoming addition!

later

Ruud

(father of two beautiful daughters)

Thanks, Ruud! Both for your comments - and this particular kit!

Is it now i am supposed to come out of the closet, and admit that i have always liked the looks of F-14? biggrin.gif

Berkut, be a man and do it! :cheers:

:yahoo: Fantatsic work as usual!

<...>

Is it now i am supposed to come out of the closet, and admit that i have always liked the looks of F-14? :D

All of this is futile until you give in and accept the sheer awesomeness of the F-4 Phantom II! :D :lol:

The wing glove pylons didn't fit very well so I had to add an insert between the glove and pylon. Another area with less than stellar fit are the vertical tails. A lot of sanding and dry-fitting was needed for a good fit.

f-14A047.jpg

Panel lines on the fuselage are now rescribed (restored the old ones and added some new ones) so what the whole thing needs is some paint.

f-14A050.jpg

f-14A051.jpg

Just sprayed the white. As paint I used "Pure White" from Tamiya's rattle can line.

I must say I really liked the paint. It covers quite well, doesn't smell that bad for a spray paint (okay, I have a flue now so it might explain something) and it even seems to dry quite quickly. Until now I've used generic spray paints in big cans and the fumes have been a real problem. Tamiya's spray pattern is rather fine compared to large cans so the paint goes where it is supposed to go.

f-14A052.jpg

f-14A054.jpg