F-16N - ALQ-188 question

I have a question to Viper gurus!

Used this equipment ever by naval adversaries or not?

Unfortunately i didn't found any photos of this combo...anyone have some preferences? :thumbsup:

Thank for your replies and Happy New Modeller's Year for everyone!

Joe

Edited by fintajoe
I have a question to Viper gurus!

Used this equipment ever by naval adversaries or not?

Unfortunately i didn't found any photos of this combo...anyone have some preferences? :thumbsup:

Thank for your replies and Happy New Modeller's Year for everyone!

Joe

Never used by the Navy Vipers, past or present.

Never used by the Navy Vipers, past or present.

Fuji, not trying to step on toes, just to clarify because of the way these things have been marketed in AM sets...

Joe, the AN/ALQ-188 pod, sometimes referred-to as the "Dead Gecko" is used by USAF Aggressor squadrons (AK and Nellis F-16s, and also on Nellis F-15s IIRC), and typically found mounted on the aircraft centerline pylon. Looks a little like a small drop tank, with four 'leg-like protuberances' (antennae) - two forward-facing and two aft-facing, that are usually tilted downward, giving it the resemblance to a, well, dead gecko. These pods as Fuji stated above, have never been used by the Navy. HOWEVER, in each of the AN/ALQ-188 pod resin AM 'sets' issued by: AIRES (1/32); Cobra Co (1/48); and most recently by WolfPack Designs (also 1/48) (...don't know of any available in 1/72, sorry!), along with the 'Gecko', you also get the Viper-specific "Intake Cheek" pods...A pair of forward-facing antennae that are mounted one to either side of the F-16's intake. These are sometimes used in conjunction with the Gecko pod on USAF F-16 Aggressors (hence, why they are part of these sets) BUT the pods were also used on the original F-16Ns. (Although they were added sometime shortly after delivery from GD to the Navy). They are not/have not been used by the current Adversary Viper F-16As/Bs at NSAWC to my knowledge. SO, if you're wondering if the AM sets are appropriate for an F-16N Adversary, the (long-winded!) answer is YES. IF you're using the Hasegawa F-16N kit (1/48 for sure, I think 1/72, too), the parts are already in the box, as well as an ACMI pod (normally mounted on a wingtip missile launch rail). IF you're talking 1/48 Tamiya, my suggestion would be to wait for the new Aggressor/Adversary version to be released in a couple of months. It should have all the right bits included in the box, too. If you are talking 1/32, the old Revell F-16N release includes the chin pods and ACMI pod, and most of the other 'stuff' that is F-16N appropriate. For all other kits/scales, I don't really know...

Hope this helps-

Harv

Not stepping on my toes at all, all he mentioned was the ALQ-188 so that's what I limited myself to. You brought some some good info on the after market offerings. I hadn't looked that far beyond the initial question. Keep at it, I got your six!

Harv

Not stepping on my toes at all, all he mentioned was the ALQ-188 so that's what I limited myself to. You brought some some good info on the after market offerings. I hadn't looked that far beyond the initial question. Keep at it, I got your six!

Thanks, Fuji - I know I was probably reading too much into it, and your straight forward, to the point response is 100% concise and correct; but was trying to figure out why one would consider the ALQ-188 and the F-16N together, since the Navy didn't ever use those. The whole multi-pod AM set situation is the only thing I could come up with, especially having recently purchased multiples of each in both 1/32 and 1/48...

Dear Harv

I completed for resin master of 1/72 ALQ-188 at last year.

It will be availble soon.

And NSAWC Aggressor F-16A equipped AN/ALQ-167 Jamming pod.

I will make it. (1/32, 1/48, 1/72)

Click this link

Best Regards,

Gustav Jung from Wolfpack-Design

http://www.wolfpack-.docm

Fuji, not trying to step on toes, just to clarify because of the way these things have been marketed in AM sets...

Joe, the AN/ALQ-188 pod, sometimes referred-to as the "Dead Gecko" is used by USAF Aggressor squadrons (AK and Nellis F-16s, and also on Nellis F-15s IIRC), and typically found mounted on the aircraft centerline pylon. Looks a little like a small drop tank, with four 'leg-like protuberances' (antennae) - two forward-facing and two aft-facing, that are usually tilted downward, giving it the resemblance to a, well, dead gecko. These pods as Fuji stated above, have never been used by the Navy. HOWEVER, in each of the AN/ALQ-188 pod resin AM 'sets' issued by: AIRES (1/32); Cobra Co (1/48); and most recently by WolfPack Designs (also 1/48) (...don't know of any available in 1/72, sorry!), along with the 'Gecko', you also get the Viper-specific "Intake Cheek" pods...A pair of forward-facing antennae that are mounted one to either side of the F-16's intake. These are sometimes used in conjunction with the Gecko pod on USAF F-16 Aggressors (hence, why they are part of these sets) BUT the pods were also used on the original F-16Ns. (Although they were added sometime shortly after delivery from GD to the Navy). They are not/have not been used by the current Adversary Viper F-16As/Bs at NSAWC to my knowledge. SO, if you're wondering if the AM sets are appropriate for an F-16N Adversary, the (long-winded!) answer is YES. IF you're using the Hasegawa F-16N kit (1/48 for sure, I think 1/72, too), the parts are already in the box, as well as an ACMI pod (normally mounted on a wingtip missile launch rail). IF you're talking 1/48 Tamiya, my suggestion would be to wait for the new Aggressor/Adversary version to be released in a couple of months. It should have all the right bits included in the box, too. If you are talking 1/32, the old Revell F-16N release includes the chin pods and ACMI pod, and most of the other 'stuff' that is F-16N appropriate. For all other kits/scales, I don't really know...

Hope this helps-

Edited by gustav53
Dear Harv

I completed for resin master of 1/72 ALQ-188 at last year.

It will be availble soon.

And F-16A equipped AN/ALQ-167 Jamming pod.

I will make it. (1/32, 1/48, 1/72)

Click this link

Best Regards,

Gustav Jung from Wolfpack-Design

http://www.wolfpack-.docm

Glad to see someone is doing the "Bullwinkle" Pod and I'm doubly glad its you. I have pics for you of the AWW-13 Data link pod I have to scan and some of the SLAM-ER Missiles too

Gustav, thanks for the update (and corrections) As I stated, the Navy wasn't using those types of pods to my knowledge. Also, I don't normally do 1/72, so my knowledge of available kits in that scale, much less any AM stuff, is zilch. Lastly, the 3 sets of 1/48 AN/ALQ-188s I just picked up were your stuff, and they look outstanding. Looking forward to the new items for my NSAWC F-16s.

Edited by Harv
If you are talking 1/32, the old Revell F-16N release includes the chin pods and ACMI pod, and most of the other 'stuff' that is F-16N appropriate.

Doesn't this kit have a P&W F100 nozzle only.?

Cheers,

Andre

Doesn't this kit have a P&W F100 nozzle only.?

Cheers,

Andre

From my earlier post: "If you are talking 1/32, the old Revell F-16N release includes the chin pods and ACMI pod, and most of the other 'stuff' that is F-16N appropriate."

Was trying to remember off the top of my head as I couldn't check the stash, and didn't want to go down another rabbit hole tangent...Believe you might be correct on the PW nozzle, Andre, but that kit does have the appropriate small-mouth (NSI) intake, albeit with niether internal trunking nor an engine face, PW or GE.

Edited by Harv

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpfull answers to everyone on this topic. :)

My future 'victim' is the powder puff F-16N on the FTD48-021 decal sheet. I want to build it from the Hase 48 kit. I already bought the Wolpack's ALQ-188 set. Because of this I was curious about the experts' opinion.

Unfortunately I saw only chin pods on the F-16N pics.

:yahoo:

Joe

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpfull answers to everyone on this topic. :woot.gif:

My future 'victim' is the powder puff F-16N on the FTD48-021 decal sheet. I want to build it from the Hase 48 kit. I already bought the Wolpack's ALQ-188 set. Because of this I was curious about the experts' opinion.

Unfortunately I saw only chin pods on the F-16N pics.

:woot.gif:

Joe

Joe, this thread went all over the place! With a little more data, it is much easier to refine your answer... Building a 'power puff' F-16N using the FTD sheet, you just need to make sure you have the 'classic' F-16N items (to be accurate). You mention 1/48 Hase, but not which one...If you're starting with the specific F-16N, then everything is in the box as I stated earlier in this thread. More-or-less F-16C cockpit, (I defy anyone to show me photo proof of anything else); NSI (small mouth) intake with the intake cheek pods on either side, lightweight (early style) landing gear; GE engine nozzle, delete the small intake scoop from the leading edge on the base of the vertical stab; ACMI pod on the wingtip missile rail (can have a captive carry sidewinder on the opposite wing). No underwing pylons (Navy didn't have any for these aircraft), and normally no center line pylon or tank if configured for ACM (with ACMI & CATM on the wingtips). No 'beercan' ECM pods on the leading edge of the wings (not in the early Hase kits for sure). Unfortunately, you don't need the Wolfpack-D AN/ALQ-188 set for this build unless you're not using the F-16N specific kit. But, that just means you've got the stuff to do another cool aggressor like the Cow scheme or one of the Nellis Aggressors. Good luck!

Edited by Harv
From my earlier post: "If you are talking 1/32, the old Revell F-16N release includes the chin pods and ACMI pod, and most of the other 'stuff' that is F-16N appropriate."

Was trying to remember off the top of my head as I couldn't check the stash, and didn't want to go down another rabbit hole tangent...Believe you might be correct on the PW nozzle, Andre, but that kit does have the appropriate small-mouth (NSI) intake, albeit with niether internal trunking nor an engine face, PW or GE.

Yup, you are correct. I think the RoG kit even has the F100 nozzle displayed prominently on the box top, so at least they don't pretend it's in there (unlike the Plastyk "Sugar Scoop" AH-1G which didn't have the sugar scoop...).

Cheers,

Andre