1/32 Revell-ogawa Spitfire Mk. I

I started on the cockpit with a thin coat of MM British Interior Green. I painted the seat in Tamiya Red Brown. Some questions on the some other colors and details I was hoping you all could help me with.

-What color should the fire extinquisher bottles be? (I painted them red per instructions)

-What color should the headrest be (painted black for now)

-Rudder pedals? (I painted Aluminum)

-Oxygen Bottle (I painted white)- should this have a oxygen hose and mask comming out of it?

IMG_5376.jpg

A known flaw in this cockpit is the floor- which the real Spitfire didn't have. Not much I can do about it- I might just not worry about it or put the pilot figure in and close the cockpit to hide it.

A known flaw in this cockpit is the floor- which the real Spitfire didn't have. Not much I can do about it- I might just not worry about it or put the pilot figure in and close the cockpit to hide it.

Scratch it out of a couple of pieces of stock rod! :rolleyes:

I think the red bottles should be aluminium or interior green (I've seen both). Rudder pedals should be interior green, but well worn usually (so basically aluminium anyway!). Headrest is right in black, and oxygen bottle I would suggest interior green - you'd be amazed how much of the inside of a Spit was green! A few more of your sidewall boxes should be black, too, though which ones is a bit hard to describe without pics. Anyone got non-copyrighted ones they can share?

Edited by thom
Scratch it out of a couple of pieces of stock rod! :thumbsup:

I think the red bottles should be aluminium or interior green (I've seen both). Rudder pedals should be interior green, but well worn usually (so basically aluminium anyway!). Headrest is right in black, and oxygen bottle I would suggest interior green - you'd be amazed how much of the inside of a Spit was green! A few more of your sidewall boxes should be black, too, though which ones is a bit hard to describe without pics. Anyone got non-copyrighted ones they can share?

Thnaks for the advice- I will re-paint the double canisters aluminum. The Revell instructions seem to be pure ficiton!

Yes on the black boxes- havn't go around to them yet.

Considering the age of the 1/32 Revell Spit, it's not too bad. I took a look at the one I have in the stash and considered building it but the decals are trash, so I figured I'd save it for another day when I can do it justice.

I look forward to following your progress.

:popcorn:

Mark

-What color should the fire extinquisher bottles be? (I painted them red per instructions)

They are Oxygen bottles, so they should either be silver or interior green.

-What color should the headrest be (painted black for now)

Black is fine, however i would use dark green (same colour as the seat back rest)

-Rudder pedals? (I painted Aluminum)

Some are painted green, with a leather strap accross the top.

-Oxygen Bottle (I painted white)- should this have a oxygen hose and mask comming out of it?

Only oxy hose would be connected to the bottle, the mask would be part of his helmet.

Spitfires do have a cockpit floor... It's the skin of the aircraft.. So i wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps,

Mat.

Edited by Hurricane363

Aaargh! Stupid me. I put a enamel wash over enamel paint in the cockpit and guess what happened?

Oooh I suppose I could strip all the paint and start over, uuuhh. It's not too bad unless you look directly at it, I think 'll just put the pilot figure in and do it cockpit closed, maybe in-flight too.

• 2 weeks later...
Qeustion to all: I'm doing a white/night colored bottom on my build so- what color should the landing gear wells, inside doors and struts be?

This is where Spits get rather complicated. I think that they would have been silver out of the factory. If you ask in Props Edgar or Graham Boak will probably be able to give you a more definitive answer. The problem is that they were often repainted after work was done on the Spit, so that could be underwing colours, or left silver, or maybe even interior green! Ok, so I've probably not helped there... sorry...

This is where Spits get rather complicated. I think that they would have been silver out of the factory. If you ask in Props Edgar or Graham Boak will probably be able to give you a more definitive answer. The problem is that they were often repainted after work was done on the Spit, so that could be underwing colours, or left silver, or maybe even interior green! Ok, so I've probably not helped there... sorry...

Yeah- you pretty much left me where I started :thumbsup: . No problem, I like hearing a little brainstorming as well.

I'd probably go the underside color for the wells and aluminim for the struts and door interior barring some definetive answer.