Virulence-class Star Destroyer scratchbuild

Well ARCers, I've started on my first total scratchbuild.

While collecting references for the Executor Super Star Destroyer and reading through the Star Wars Wookieepedia wiki, I got an idea. What would an upgraded successor to the Imperial Star Destroyer look like? I envisioned a ship with more rounded edges, with more "powerful" looking engines, turbolaser mounts on both upper and lower surfaces, and a revised superstructure. It will resemble a Star Destroyer, but with a definitely-unique look to it, I hope.

So far, I've drawn out some blueprints for the main hull and started cutting plastic. I cut the upper hull surfaces and one of the interior skeleton formers out of sheet styrene (not sure what thickness since the sheet wasn't marked when I bought it). I want to get the main hull together quickly, so I can get started on the detailing and designing/building the superstructure.

Enough of this chatter, on to the good part: PICS!

One side of the upper hull and the one interior former I've got done:

SANY0631.jpg

The two sides of the upper hull taped together for a mock-up:

SANY0633.jpg

The upper hull sides taped with the interior former taped in place:

SANY0634.jpg

Another shot of the hull mock-up:

SANY0637.jpg

As always, comments, critique and suggestions are very welcome and encouraged. Thanks for looking! :cheers:

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by illithid00

Thanks Andre!

Progress! I cut out the bottom hull plates, including cutouts for the hangar bay:

SANY0642.jpg

And added some detail plating:

SANY0655.jpg

SANY0658.jpg

I also started work on the hull skeleton to help keep the hull rigid and unwarped; I had to make a cutout for the hangar bay on that piece too:

SANY0644.jpg

SANY0652.jpg

SANY0653.jpg

And here's all the parts together in one shot, including the half-built hangar bay:

SANY0651.jpg

Thanks for looking! Critique/comments are appreciated and welcome!

Cheers :salute:

EDIT: Sorry about the crappy pics. I need a better camera and more experience with taking pics.

Edited by illithid00
EDIT: Sorry about the crappy pics. I need a better camera and more experience with taking pics.

The effect looks like simple camera shake. Try a tripod, even a cheap table-top miniature one will help. A beanbag or something similar could also be of use, nestle the camera down on it, set the self-timer to prevent hand movement, and let 'er rip! :thumbsup:

Well ARCers, after another hour or two hard at work, I've got another update.

I spent some time on the hangar bay, figuring that if I can get that assembled and finished, it'll give me some incentive to finish the rest of the ship. It's not done, but I've added some details from styrene strip and sheet, along with some spare sprue from a Monogram 1/48 P-61 kit. There's still plenty of work to do, but it's getting close.

Pics of the hangar bay:

SANY0662.jpg

SANY0666.jpg

SANY0667.jpg

SANY0670.jpg

Pic of a protrusion I added on the starboard lower hull plate:

SANY0669.jpg

And a final pic, of all that I got done tonight:

SANY0661.jpg

The effect looks like simple camera shake. Try a tripod, even a cheap table-top miniature one will help. A beanbag or something similar could also be of use, nestle the camera down on it, set the self-timer to prevent hand movement, and let 'er rip! :woot.gif:

Thanks for the advice. I did what I could to steady the camera this time, and the pics turned out a bit better. I'm going to invest in a tripod as soon as I can.

As always, thanks for looking! Comment and critique are appreciated!

Cheers, :shoot:

Looking great!!! :woot.gif: Areally nifty looking hangar bay!

Any thoughts yet on how the bridge structure will look?

Thanks! I'll probably build a more rounded version of the original Imperial Star Destroyer bridge. I'm thinking of using marbles or something for the shield generator domes, but we'll see. I do like the predatory look of the forward-swept ISD superstructure, so I want to incorporate that if I can.

I do know that this thing will have around 12-16 quad-turbolaser stations. I think I may have to dabble in molding and casting for that though. Building those would get really repetitive after a while.

Thanks! I'll probably build a more rounded version of the original Imperial Star Destroyer bridge. I'm thinking of using marbles or something for the shield generator domes, but we'll see. I do like the predatory look of the forward-swept ISD superstructure, so I want to incorporate that if I can.

I do know that this thing will have around 12-16 quad-turbolaser stations. I think I may have to dabble in molding and casting for that though. Building those would get really repetitive after a while.

Why not slaughter a battleship kit? might end up cheaper.....

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings ARCers!

I've been a bit busy with my MiG-31 whif, so I haven't been working on this as much as I should be. I've been doing a lot of scribing on one half of the lower fuselage and I'm working on building up part of the superstructure.

Tonight I used some masking tape to partly assemble the parts I've got temporarily.

Pics:

SANY0716.jpg

SANY0718.jpg

SANY0725.jpg

You can just barely see some of the scribing I've done. It's not totally sanded down after the scribing, but it'll be done soon enough.

Thanks for looking! Comments/Critique are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I'm tentatively calling this the Virulence-class, but the name isn't finalized just yet.

Edited by illithid00
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

I haven't been working on the Virulence as much as I'd like, but I do have some progress. I've decided to scrap the ventral hangar bay. I wasn't happy with how it turned out, and after working on the ship concept a bit, I decided to drop the requirement for a hangar bay.

The Virulence-class will instead be designed entirely for orbital bombardment and taking out enemy capital ships. It's got an ion cannon mounted in the bow for punching through shields and destroying ships, and a heavily armored reactor where an Imperial-class Star Destroyer would have a docking bay.

Two shots of the superstructure mocked up on the hull.

SANY0732.jpg

SANY0733.jpg

Underside of the hull, showing the scribing on the starboard side.

SANY0735.jpg

SANY0736.jpg

The protrusion on the upper hull just aft of the bow-mounted ion cannon.

SANY0739.jpg

Forward shot, showing the bow-mounted ion cannon.

SANY0740.jpg

The bridge, built from styrene strip/sheet and an exhaust stack off the Tamiya 1/350 USS New Jersey.

SANY0741.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments/critique always appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

:( Ayup.......folks he's has finally succumbed to the dark side. He's even building ships for them :rolleyes: . This is going to be fun to watch....let us know when you start the Death Star so we can get stocked up on :cheers: and popcorn; Loooookeeng great!!.

Edited by Angels49

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

I've got another quick update with a few pics. I've been doing some major greeblie-fying lately. So far I've used parts from a 1/48 Monogram F-106, 1/48 Monogram F-18, 1/72 Revell-Monogram SR-71, 1/72 Academy F-18, 1/350 Tamiya USS New Jersey, and tons of sheet styrene.

I've got some thoughts on a backstory that I'll be posting soon. The more I work on this, the more the whole concept I've got for it changes.

On to the pics!

SANY0756.jpg

SANY0757.jpg

SANY0758.jpg

SANY0760.jpg

SANY0761.jpg

The superstructure and the two blue/white parts are just taped on, not glued yet. I've still got to finish the upper hull scribing before I glue very much on.

Thanks for looking! Comments/critique are appreciated!

Thanks AWan! I'm in the middle of scribing all the upper hull right now. I'll probably get as intricate with it as I can. Symmetry, on the other hand, might be a problem, though. It's already made of sheet styrene, so I don't know about skinning it again. I'm running out of sheet.

I'm still not sure how I'll paint it. I'm thinking basic Star Destroyer white/gray, maybe with the Empire logo on one side of the hull.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Janne! :deadhorse1:

UPDATE TIME!

I haven't been working on the Virulence very much recently; I've had a bit of modeler's block going on. I have managed to get some work done on the bridge and main engine, though.

So far, the engine is built from part of a Coca-Cola bottle, with some sheet styrene and a prop hub from the Mono 1/48 P-61.

SANY0763.jpg

SANY0771.jpg

SANY0772.jpg

After trying about 10 different bridge configurations with everything I've got in my spares box, I finally settled on this. Most of it is built from parts of the Tamiya 1/350 USS New Jersey superstructure, with some sheet styrene details added in. It's not totally finished, but it's close.

SANY0764.jpg

SANY0766.jpg

SANY0767.jpg

SANY0768.jpg

SANY0762.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments/critique are definitely appreciated!

To my eye, there is a somewhat odd juxtaposition of curvatures and chunky. The original hull layout had almost Babylon 5-ish organic curves, but now harsh edged, chunky greeblies...I'm just not quite seeing how it all pulls together.