Can 3M Acryl Blue Glazing Putty be found in an auto parts store

I've heard great things about this product as a filler:

putty.jpg

but I'm not quite sure where the best place to find it is and I haven't had a chance to look yet. Will a standard auto parts store have it or do I need to go to some type of auto repair shop? Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure about this acrylic version...but "Spot Glazing Putty" works like a charm.....dries fast...no shrinkage...and pretty cheap....seems like I paid about $8 for the tube...and that was years ago...

HTH...

Good to go,

Jim

Hi David, I use this stuff all the time. You will most likely not find it in your average auto parts store. I'd go to some place that sells auto paint supplies.

Great stuff, lasts forever and sands out very smooth and feathers out beautifully ....and a lot easier to sand out than CA.

Bob

Most NAPA stores don't carry it, but they should be able to order it through their warehouses. It can also be found at most auto refinishing and body repair supply houses. And stick with the Acryl Blue as opposed to Acryl Red, Green, or spot glazing putties. The grain is extremely fine and can actually be polished up to a point with buffing pads.

Might be hard to find online. Body shops and those who supply them have it. One tube will last a lifetime.

Thin it with either lacquer thinner (fast and aggressive), SC125 (Tenax and most other solvent cements)(aggressive but slower drying), or 90% isopropyl alcohol (non aggressive and medium drying).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

edit: turns out I can get it online afterall:

http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?sku=3M-5964

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/index...05964&frm=g

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/showproduc...productid=15650

The price seems to vary quite a bit though. I ended up going with the lowest cost/shipping combination.

Edited by David Walker

I'll keep that in mind as I'm hoping this tube last me a really long time.

And I just received notice that it shipped and should be here in four to five days. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Filling in airliner windows is a pain and I'm hoping this will ease the process.

Edited by David Walker

After seeing all the buzz about this I decided to hunt it down. NAPA Auto supply stores has the green version (much more course) so I decided to ask. They special ordered the blue and I got it in less than 24hrs. So, try NAPA, you will probably have to ask at the desk.

One word of warning. It costs some pretty money. Mine was $28. But, the upside is if it works as advertised on this site, that tube should last me for MANY years.

Mark

Be careful of the cap as they tend to break easily.

That's right. Any time you find a cap you think might work, grab it. These things break and crack for no good reason at all, and the Acryl Blue will dry out at the end. It can be carved out of the tip until you hit the fresh stuff again. But it's just a pain to do. If the tube sits, just check the cap every couple of weeks because the cap will crack even when it's not being used. One tube, I've had for over 15 years, and used less than 1/4 of. But I've replaced the cap at least 10 times.

How long do you guys normally wait until you start sanding it?

M

It depends greatly on how thick you put it on. Something real thin you can go after within the hour. Thicker stuff, you need to wait overnight at least. The thing about Acryl Blue is that it will soften the plastic. If you go after a thick coat too soon, and you hit the soft plastic with the sand paper, it will gouge out the soft plastic. Basically, if the putty is hard, so is the plastic. You can test for this by pressing the edge of your fingernail into the putty. If it easially leaves an impression, it's not ready.

Part II of the testing process. This stuff is AWESOME. Dries hard, does not shrink, sands extremely well and it does not have little air pockets in it like the Tamiya stuff tends to have. I tested it on an airliner, covering up the window holes. Worked like a charm. Part III of the testing will be shooting a layer of paint on it to see what that looks like.

Mark

Part II of the testing process. This stuff is AWESOME. Dries hard, does not shrink, sands extremely well and it does not have little air pockets in it like the Tamiya stuff tends to have. I tested it on an airliner, covering up the window holes. Worked like a charm. Part III of the testing will be shooting a layer of paint on it to see what that looks like.

That sounds like great news as that's exactly what I plan to use it for. Thanks for the updates.