Avro Arrow 1/48

• 4 months later...

After putting this aside for a few months, I'm gonna try to git 'er done for the NATS.

What's that term for "losing modeling enthusiasm"? It seems waiting those 50 days for plastic tubing really took the wind outta my sails.

Anyway, here's what I've been up to the last 2 weeks.

This is the scratch built Iroquois engine, dry fit into the dolly. It just needs a couple tweaks and some more weathering. Help me out a bit here guys ... the dolly, with no weight on it, has developed a warp ... one corner is off the ground about 3/8". Besides breaking it down and regluing, any ideas on how to get it level?

A1-iroquoisateyelevel.jpg

A1-iroquoisinstand.jpg

The North Star clamshell canopies are being detailed a little.

A1-Clamshellcanopies.jpg

Some wiring in the cockpit.

A1-cockpitwiring.jpg

Some preshading

A1-preshadeonground.jpg

I've still a got some work to do on this one. The MLG needs some detailing and attaching to the aircraft and an application of Future and decalling and weathering.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

This one's done too!

Lotsa scratchbuilding, lotsa new things to learn, and try out, resulted in a really nice looking model ... from a distance. What's that expression ... Good looking from far ... but far from good looking!

I've built and weathered the Iroquois engine, it's dolly, the palette and it's dolly, the nose radar, the ladder, the weapons bay underneath, the MLG and detailed the NLG. The cockpit is from North Star and I've augmented it with some cabling. And the windscreen was scratch built, yesterday, too.

I am, however, disappointed in that I wanted this to be an excellent model. Showing the aircraft as I've not seen it before. But there are too many flaws, too many little tiny corrections that I just got tired of fixing.

So, I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm still gonna take it down to the Columbus NATS just to show it ( but, Hey you never know, there may not be any other 1/48 aircraft ;-D

Here it is ...

Aug17-ongrnddiorama.jpg

Aug17-diofront.jpg

Aug17-ongrnddiorama.jpg

Aug17-ongrdsidewpalette.jpg

Aug17-MLGb4doors.jpg

These are the kit MLG doors and I've installed the standoffs, which'll attach to the MLG.

Aug17-MLGdoorsandstandoffs.jpg

Aug17-MLGbaywiring.jpg

Aug17-ongrdunderside.jpg

Aug17-underside.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek guys.

Pete

It´s absolutely gorgeous...it would be a shame not to enter it in a competition!

There´s probably zillions of other jets in 1/48th scale...but I bet a very few this unique and creative!

Cheers!

Yowzers ! This one is even better than the first ! Unbelievably good, really....Just need a mirror cut into the base so folk can easily see all the work you put into the underside.

Cheers !

Thanx very much guys!

I entered it into this year's NATS and it got a 3rd place in the 1/48 diorama category! To say I'm pleased, is an understatement! (This was my first NATS and ho-lee kow! What a terrific collection of miniature replicas! Over 2500 models and the quality of 'em was extremely high! How they do it, I don't know but at the very least I know where I stand!)

I think I'm gonna add some ground equipment to this diorama, as well, for some of the local shows coming up.

Pete

• 5 weeks later...

Congrats on the placing.

I was wondering while looking at your model if you had done any alterations to the external features of the plane, I recall hearing that the kit is not entirely accurate. The reason I as is because a friend of mine is intending on using the kits instruction manual as blueprints for a 1/200 scale model. Does anyone know if they are accurate enough for this endevour?

Again Pete great model and congrats on the placing.

WOW!! Congratulations on your 3rd place BUT if I was the Judge then you'd be NO:1...

I have never seen such a beautifully built model and such FANTASTIC, AMAZING TOP CLASS scratchbuilding..

Every little detail have been perfect and I have thoroughly enjoyed yor build....the wheel, weapons bays ,

the cockpit et al... ARE STUNNING ...{That extra care and attention to those little detials eve if they are hidden from our view is BRILLAINT too} }.....and the model is simply STUNNING...

HOLMES <_< :worship::worship::worship:

Apologies for not answering sooner, I haven't checked this page for a few days.

The drawings on the kit instructions sheet look quite accurate. If you use those drawings, the 1/200 will look just fine! The kit has a few inaccuracies, but the drawings look accurate!

And thanx very much for all your comments. As frustrating as this kit was, the sense of satisfaction on completion made it all worthwhile. I'm really enjoying this hobby! And exhibiting at shows and getting awards for it ... well, is just the icing on the cake!

Thanx again lads!

Pete

This kit was one of my false starts in getting back into modeling. I just got so darn depressed with the crappyness of this kit, I threw it out... that was 2 years ago! Im glad to see that in the right hands, it can look AMAZING!

I had the opportunity to see the 1:1 replica at the Toronto Aerospace Museum last summer, and wow, that is one big bird! I had seen the replica they used in the Arrow movie, but I dont remember it being nearly as big (mind you there was 10 years between seeing the two :jaw-dropping: )

I am planning on attempting the 1:72 hobbycraft kit some time in the foreseeable future.

I am planning on attempting the 1:72 hobbycraft kit some time in the foreseeable future.

In comparison the crappyness is greater in the 1/72nd kit than the retooled 1/48th kit. If you tossed the big one 2 years ago, save your money and find an ASTRA VAC FORM kit in 1/72nd scale. I picked one up for $20 bucks a couple years ago on ebay. MasterCasters also makes an aftermarket 1/72nd Cockpit set for the HC kit which will probably fit the Astra kit too.

Personally having built the Little one and Big (old tool) I could live with the big kit. The little kit is good for spare parts for the Astra kit.

:)

Emil