Completed 1/72 RA-5C

Here's the Trumpeter RA-5C in 1/72. I built the kit with Eduard's PE and Super Scale decals for RVAH-11. This was quite a learning experience for me in terms of using washes, as well as using a full set of PE. My biggest problems were the fuselage shape (much like the 1/48, but less pronounced) and the lenses for the flash pods (I'm still trying to get them to fit). I used a spare Hasegawa pilot for the rear seat, and I may do a standing pilot next to the plane. I had a lot of issues with the PE hinges for the main gear doors (I lost a hinge as well as the wires I cut for the doors, and I don't think I'll replace them). Now I can see a lot of things I would change- perhaps a 1/48 build down the line... Your observations and comments are welcome. Oh, and the reason I referred to a "dirty bird" is because I think I went overboard on the wash. I don't think a carrier-based bird would get this grimy.

DSCF0293.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg

Sebastian, the biggest problem areas in terms of fit were the fuselage halves and the flash pods.When assembling the fuselage, try to use something to press the top and bottom out flat - mine has a slight bow inward on the top. I also suggest placing the clear lenses in the pods as you assemble the halves and then mask them off. The Eduard masks were terrific. Other than that, the wings, cockpit and other items went together like a charm. I had some minor sanding to do on the forward canopy, but the windscreen and everything else almost fell together.

Great build!!! Just gotta love that Viggie!!!

About the braces....I´ve seen ppl get away with just plasticard bracing inside with good result! it´s really only that rear section of the viggie that is troublesome and in 1/72 I don think you need the whole bracingset as the one for 1/48th scale

I filed a square of sheet plastic roughly to size, shoved it into the fuselage half, squirted glue on it. Repeated for the other side. Cheap, easy, took about five minutes.

ra5c4s.jpg

It was a surprise gift for a former RVAH-9 maintenance guy, I figured he'd prefer it clean.

• 3 years later...