Engine nozzle set for Academy 1/48 F-22A

Sprue Brothers has it in stock as well. In my case, I think I'll stick to the Crossdelta set (which is included in this), but this resin set might also be useable to correct a basic shortcoming found on the Italeri kit as the engine petals on that kit are much worse then the Academy ones. The dimensions appear to be close enough based on the set that I inspected that I could make it work.

The resin parts might be worth it, if they add the rippled surface like the real thing on this pic. Too bad the pics of the wolfpack stuff don't show that side.

f-22exhaust.jpg

No it looks like the replicated that detail with flat stainless, parts #(9).

Curt

I've seen the back end of two Raptors up close (less then 10 feet away and kept from coming closer by a rope off) and it is indeed flat back there, so the streaks you see are staining and possibly some artifact introduced by the digital photo. Of course I have been pondering whether or not to add some sort of surface peeling to one of my models as one of the Tyndall jets I saw had what looked like paint peeling on one of those flat plates, probably due to the age of the jets and the number of hours on those petals.

No it's most definitely faceted, and not flat.

I don't know what Rapter you were looking at, but only the early motors had a flat panel, which were only installed in ship 1 and 2 from what I've seen. it must have been a long time ago if you saw a flat surface on one.

Curt

f-22exhaust.jpg

AF-2220ship220Oct0512.jpg

Edited by Netz
Hi,

as far as I can see the exhaust outlet is actually flat and it is the staining that makes it look 3D. The qualtiy of the Wolfpack items is outstanding - I have bought a great deal of them and not been disappointed:

Tom

F22exhaust.jpg

Even Tom's pic shows the faceted surface of the exhaust. Yes it is stained, but at the same time you can see the faint straight lines that form the faceted surface, as well as the triangles that are formed coming from a flat into faceted ones.

This pic from the F-22 book by Jay Miller/Aerofax show it in better detail. As you can see from the angle of the light falling on the lower petal and the shadow produced, it's a dead giveaway of the faceted nature of it. More proof are the four very faint triangular shadows cast between the red beam & upper petal. So looking at it all, can you still say it is flat?

f-22exhaust2.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor

Weird. But yes I can see it and now that I know what to look for, I also checked my own photos of the plane I saw and it has them this way as well. Looks like the angle changes are very very subtle on that pattern so from some angles it looks flat unless the sun hits them just right. I don't think Wolfpack molded them properly either since the Crossdelta pieces designed to stick over them are flat as well.

Edited by Jay Chladek
I bet they went away from flat panels to keep them from cracking, makes sense to me. I think they are not flat by the way.

Curt

That makes sense to me as well. So these would be some kind of expansion joint to allow the panels to keep their shape on the edges while expanding and contracting in the center? Considering the heat loads from the exhaust, those panels would take a lot of heat over time. As such it would be something like the grooved panels seen on SR-71s in a sense.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michae...66_13_of_85.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo's that are not in direct sunlight, but heres one with a RBF Flag laying over a facet, and the angel is clear to see. The flat panels were only used till the faceted ones became flight approved.

Curt

Netz pic with the RBF tag shows again it's faceted. The RBF is twisted, but if the surface were flat the whole section with the FLIGHT label would sit flat & straight, but next to the I & G letter you can notice it's bent around the corner of the facet.

Another pic taken from the F-22 book, here you can see the old flat surfaced petals and how the design is different.

f-22exhaust3.jpg

Finally a pic from the YF-22 exhaust and how the surface has curves instead.

yf-22exhaust.jpg

I'd keep on uploading pics backing my statement that they're faceted. Some of the pics from the F-22 book show brand new engines, pretty clean, no staining and yet you see the light and shadows produced by the faceting. Lol, not to insult anybody but I may end up quoting what I said may years ago to a friend that was playing a videogame I can't remember, but he was miserably failing at it. I said to him "So, you can't visualize something 3d based on what you can see on a flat screen?".

Edited by Inquisitor
hi-PI000000101119.jpg

hi-PI000000101120.jpg

hi-PI000000101122.jpg

F119-PW-100 Engine nozzle set for Academy 1/48 F-22A

Wolfpack In Lucky Models

So now back to the original post. If the Academy kit nozzle is flat and the Wolfpak set is faceted, then how does the Crossdelta set work with BOTH?

joe.

As far as I can tell from the instructions, the interior of the Resin piece will be flat to attach the flat piece of etch to it.

And of the 2 sets CrossDelta and Wolfpack which one should I get?

The Cross Delta photo etch is included in the Wolf Pack set.

And to think I tried to fill in that seam!

???? Are you talking about the interior or exterior of the nozzel ????

Curt

Guess it's up to me to tell about those products.

1) Crossdelta's product is for Academy's 1/48 F-22A kit, featuring both of inner AND outer sides of the nozzle,

and the 'inner' sides are flat.

2) The metal transfer included in Wolfpack's products doesn't have the part for OUTER sides.

This is because his resin part is featuring the 'correct' outer nozzle, in OPEN CONDITION ONLY.

It shows more detail that could be seen from both sides when the nozzles are 'opened'.

My suggestion: buy them both if you want to open the nozzles, Wolfpack's product can be a good choice,

and to close them, my product will be good - note that my product is also good for open condition too.

Guess it's up to me to tell about those products.

1) Crossdelta's product is for Academy's 1/48 F-22A kit, featuring both of inner AND outer sides of the nozzle,

and the 'inner' sides are flat.

2) The metal transfer included in Wolfpack's products doesn't have the part for OUTER sides.

This is because his resin part is featuring the 'correct' outer nozzle, in OPEN CONDITION ONLY.

It shows more detail that could be seen from both sides when the nozzles are 'opened'.

My suggestion: buy them both if you want to open the nozzles, Wolfpack's product can be a good choice,

and to close them, my product will be good - note that my product is also good for open condition too.

I'm glad we cleared that up............

Now the question will be, can your set be stretched over some attempt to make the inner surfaces faceted....

thanks for commenting on your set.

joe.

So now back to the original post. If the Academy kit nozzle is flat and the Wolfpak set is faceted, then how does the Crossdelta set work with BOTH?

joe.

I dought that the Wp nozzle is faceted, it is just the kit part slightly modified, and cast.

I'm glad we cleared that up............

Now the question will be, can your set be stretched over some attempt to make the inner surfaces faceted....

thanks for commenting on your set.

joe.

Yea.....................

Not having the Wp parts, but I do have the C/D parts, the only addition to the photo etch that comes in the Wp set that is included in the C/D set is the outer sureface of the nozzle, this piece is to be bent over the existing kit nozzel exterior.

In the Wp set it is replaced with the resin, it looks like the resin in the Wp set is the kit part that has been slightly modified by removing the plastic from the side of the nozzle, and the inside is left flat,(as is the kit part),so that the etched piece can be attached, which as stated is flat.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/michae...66_34_of_85.jpg

There is no way to "strectch" the existing etch to add facets, it will have to be stamped or recreated in resin, which at this time no one makes an accurate exhaust nozzle interior.

Curt

Edited by Netz