Info on this H-21 Shawnee?

I have an Italeri H-21C in my stash, I'd like to do it like the one in this photo.

I can not link directly but it is HM5, the 5th photo down.

http://www.cloud9photography.us/sub-hm-001.html

This is the only H-21 photo I've seen with this scheme. I've seen others with a similar scheme and many with red bands around the fuselage, but none with the red top and the rescue markings. If some one had similar photos showing some of the markings better or even could identify the unit that it was with that would be a big help as there is a large circular marking at the rear I am assuming is the unit emblem.

Also when set up for rescue work would it have the full length troop seating in place, be left with open floor space or a combination of the two? The kit comes with canvas seats for each side for a total of 18, plus the crew.

I know the Italeri "H-21 gunship" boxing of this kit, comes with markings for this version (plus 2 French units ). Maybe someone who has not used these may trade or give you them. I have this version but am planning on building it as it's so much more colourful than plain old OD. Good luck. Sorry, I don't have any more pics.

Rich

I didn't know any version of the kit came with those decals, that would make things easier. In that case I'll do this one in one of the schemes I have lots of photos for and try to pick up the gunship version later.

Thanks

Edited by Aaronw
I have an Italeri H-21C in my stash, I'd like to do it like the one in this photo.

I can not link directly but it is HM5, the 5th photo down.

http://www.cloud9photography.us/sub-hm-001.html

This is the only H-21 photo I've seen with this scheme. I've seen others with a similar scheme and many with red bands around the fuselage, but none with the red top and the rescue markings. If some one had similar photos showing some of the markings better or even could identify the unit that it was with that would be a big help as there is a large circular marking at the rear I am assuming is the unit emblem.

Also when set up for rescue work would it have the full length troop seating in place, be left with open floor space or a combination of the two? The kit comes with canvas seats for each side for a total of 18, plus the crew.

Drop me an email at magdecals@hawaii.rr.com. I have a picture similar to yours and I have done some research and I have a drawing I can share with you. Whirlybird did a decal sheet for a similar aircraft but whoever printed it forgot to print the carrier. When I put the U S Air Force title in water it separated into individual letters.

Gary

That airplane is likely from either Ladd AFB, Elmendorf AFB, or Thule AB. I know for certain the ones based at Ladd and Elmendorf had that scheme, but as I'm at work, I can't check the photos in "Top Cover for America" to see if it matches an Alaska based bird.

J

I have one built - will try and take some pics for you.

The red is NOT insignia red though - it's earlier than that and I used something a bit brighter (can't remember what though!) after discussing with Dana Bell...

The red is NOT insignia red though - it's earlier than that and I used something a bit brighter (can't remember what though!) after discussing with Dana Bell...

It's not? Everything I've ever seen from Dana, and everything I've ever discussed with him (known him for many years) is that "Arctic red" was nothing *but* Insignia Red. All USAF Tech Orders from the 1950s that I've ever seen clearly call for Insignia Red for high visibility markings until (and in some cases in conjunction with) the fluorescent markings of the late 1950s and early 1960s.

If you've found other info, I'd love to know what color it called for! There's so much out there that's undiscovered...

J

Edited by Jennings