I've had it with Humbrol

Like it says.

I just masked and painted a nice RLM71/02 scheme for a Bf110. Put on the RLM71 (Humbrol 30) only to discover that this tinlet is a totally different colour. Instead of being the usual medium green colour, this one is a very dark bottle green, more like bronze green than anything else.

I should probably have used Hu116, but I've been happy with my "Old" tinlets of Hu30 for RLM71, this new one is just not the same colour AT ALL.

I'm fed up with the "Humbrol Lottery" that the brand has become, I have no idea, when I buy a tinlet, what colour is actually going to be inside it.

I'm rather annoyed.

So I am going over to WEM paints I think, I know they are gloss finish, but thats nothing a satincoat/matt coat won't resolve.

I'll just have to modify my brushpainting methods to suit the new paints.

Dagnamit

Yes, new quality control sucks big style.

Even if airfix change it there are loads in the system which are crap. Please let airfix/hornby know you are changing.

WEM are good as are xtracolour (made by the same people), or you could try xtracrylix they brush well.

Matt PM me if you need any acrylic advise as I have recently changed to them from enamal so can propbably answer some of your questions.

Julien

ps where me drifter! :monkeydance:

PM me your address and your drifter will be with you directly :monkeydance:

I might have a look at going to acrylics, are xtracrylics soluble in water? makes brush cleaning easier!

I guess it might be worth slapping a coat of enamel down as a primer for the acrylic as it sticks better to the styrene?

I´ve suffered from the lapses humbrol´s quality control on more than one occasion so I totally agree with you there....

Only thing is that when you´ve used Humbrol for more than 20 years you end up having lots of small tins.....that makes it hard to quit using them becuase one have all the colors!

I too am trying to move to acrylic paints....limited success there tho :thumbsup:

Only thing is that when you´ve used Humbrol for more than 20 years you end up having lots of small tins.....that makes it hard to quit using them becuase one have all the colors!

Definately, I have about 150 humbrol tins in various states, some mixed into other colours with little labels on them, some half dried out, some never opened. They are now consigned to the spares draw to be used for detail painting and priming.

So all modelling is on hold until I sort out what I am going to do about paint :thumbsup:

I think I will go for WEM enamels as I think I might get a better finish brushpainting them than I would acrylics.

Its about time for a modelling break anyway, so time to move the completed models to another shelf, clear out the mess and come back to it again when I'm all enthusiastic again :thumbsup:

Hi Matt,

WEM is a good choice for enamels, much bigger range than even the old Humbrol Authentics.

If you want to go 'Green' with acrylics you could do worse than try Vallejo, but also get yourself a bottle of inhibitor,

these paints dry like crazy!

On the subject of Humbrol, i am lead to believe that thay are still 'outsourced' and still coming from the far east.

Proving Q.C. is a pig over more than a couple of hundred miles.

Happy painting!

Paul

PM me your address and your drifter will be with you directly :worship:

I might have a look at going to acrylics, are xtracrylics soluble in water? makes brush cleaning easier!

I guess it might be worth slapping a coat of enamel down as a primer for the acrylic as it sticks better to the styrene?

Xtracrylix can be thinned with ordinary tap water . I use it all the time . Also try lifecolor , these to are acrylic and thinned with water , look out for the "special" box sets , especially for german a/c .. they also make box sets for armour

The only problems I've had with Humbrol have been with Hu30 and Hu106. Everything else has been fine.

WEM has not been the answer though. I find some of their colours are way off and I find brush painting difficult with them. I really only use my WEM paints as a final thined top coat over a humbrol coat of the nearest match, e.g. WEM AII Green over Hu105.

Tony

Personally I think RLM71 is more olive than Hu30. Never liked that colour for RLM71. I use Hu163. It has quite a low contrast with Hu91 (RLM 70).

But I think too much was made of Hu30, which was kind of Humbrol's flagship colour. They call it out for British and German aircraft. I use Hu116 for RAF Dark Green, which works well with Hu29 (RAF Dark Earth) and Hu27 (RAF Ocean Gray).

The only thing I use Hu30 for now id Finnish aircraft.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

I posted yesterday on Humbrol paints as well, if we get many people complaining than perhaps Humbrol is going to get better paint than we buy today. Even my shopkeeper is thinking to get rid of the humbrol paints and by getting Humbrol to improve their paint at least much better than now, than it will safe airfix as well. It is also under Hornby label and they invested to keep airfix alive and same goes for humbrol. If the sales drop than they have to blame themselves not us a users!! :worship:

Edited by Eric2020

One tip if your buying any Humbrol paints !! Look under the bottom of the tin, if its got a BAR CODE its a new batch !!, stay well clear of any tinlets which have the bar code under neath.

Every tin i have brought which has a bar code has been crap eg'... Too thick / Won't mix / Horrible smell / Wrong colour / reacts with other enamels.

ian.

Even my shopkeeper is thinking to get rid of the humbrol paints

I hope he doesn't, since the usual default alternative is Revell, which in my experience is rubbish. I rely on Humbrol and funnily enough I've not had a bad tin yet, though as it's a lottery I suppose that will have to end eventually. I'd happily win the real lottery and lose this one instead, you know, if anyone up there is listening...