Flare/Chaff on an F-16

I'm doing the F-16CJ kit, and i was wondering where the dispensers go.... according to the kit destructions there is a decoy type thing on station 2. The only problem with this i that i'm not using station 2, so it's not going to have any chuff'n'fluff fitted.

Also did F-16 in Iraq '07 have an AN/ALQ-184 ecm pod on the center station, or a different type, or nothing?

Any hints/tips?

Cheers

Mat

Edited by Hurricane363

Mat,

The CJ carries the dispenser in 4 locations under the rear fuse (look for the rectangular holes beside the arresting hook).

The type of jamming pod depends on the unit; most CONUS and Pacific based units have the ALQ-184, European units use the ALQ-131.

By 2007, carriage of pods during OIF missions was very limited due to the reduction of threat.

BTW, no need for kit destruction or decay.

HTH

B/R

I'm doing the F-16CJ kit, and i was wondering where the dispensers go.... according to the kit destructions there is a decoy type thing on station 2. The only problem with this i that i'm not using station 2, so it's not going to have any chuff'n'fluff fitted.

Also did F-16 in Iraq '07 have an AN/ALQ-184 ecm pod on the center station, or a different type, or nothing?

Any hints/tips?

Cheers

Mat

The decoy thing on Station 2 is probably the AN/ALE-50 Towed Decoy, which goes between the missile pylon on Station 2 or 8 or, rarely, both. I haven't seen the 1/48 kit, but I had to add an AM one from Shull24 on my 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ because my plane was from Operation Southern Watch, where they needed a radar decoy against the SAM threat. The decoy is towed a mile or so behind the airplane, and gives off a bigger radar signature than the F-16 itself.

You are right to leave it off for your build. They aren't used much now because there's no threat from radar-guided SAMs, but they were carriedin Kosovo and other places.

TOM