Yup, It just past midnight....

Happy New Year to all!

I will attempt a C-2 Greyhound COD.

Had the Falcon vacform conversion and the old Fujimi E-2C kit for ages... best to get going before the Hasegawa E-2C hits the shelves :thumbsup:.

Cheers,

Giles

I hesitated to join this GB, because I have not complete a single model in the last 22 years...

I will try my best to do as much as possible.

Never build an airliner in my life, but I signed up the Airliner GB to build the airliner I spend a few days/nights a year on.

Never flown in a COD (been in a C-130), and, never ever build a vacform kit before.

Some of the builds here are inspiring... So, here is my first baby step.

IMG_4373.jpg

fuselage pieces cut from the vacformed plastic sheet I bought almost 20 years ago.

Giles

Hi Giles

Welcome to the Group build.

don't worry i only have finished a few models that i have started, alot of them are still unfinished. this is one reason i am going to finish some.

Looking forward to seeing this one.

:thumbsup:

Brendon

I look forward to seeing it as you go...the fat kids are getting some love!

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I had wanted to build the Greyhound since around 1988 :bandhead2: .

Completely "forgotten" about modeling when I started working in the 90's... even if I had wanted, there wouldn't be enough time for it.

I only got back to the hobby after giving away most of my unbuilt kits for my kids' charity raffle in junior school last year. I have some remaining non-mainstream stuff that no one wants. Seems a shame to ignore them for another 20 years, so I might as well build them!

I know this is a long shot. Does anyone have photos of the interior of a Greyhound?

Giles

Try these...

aIMG_2313.jpg

Thanks Craig!

These, particularly the one above, are mind boggling :) .

I have a few pictures of the innards, but none as clear as that.

I love the blue seat cushions :lol: .

Now, the question is to build or not to build.... :P

Giles

Hi Ricardo,

I tried to upload a scanned copy of the instructions from my Falcon Vacuform Conversion, but photobucket wouldn't allow me.

PM me your e-mail addy if you want a copy.

You can find more details of the various kit at their website linky.

I got mine from Hannants when I was still living in London (about 20 eyars ago :))

Their website is linky

Hope that helps.

cheers,

Giles

Last of the series - another interior shot to tempt you with...

aIMG_2314.jpg

Urgh...

Those mesmerising blue cushions... they... they... look so irresistable. :worship:

Craig, you are a navy guy right?

I have seen some interior shots with slightly different configuration (e.g. a large (fuel?) tank in front of the row of seats, also forward facing seats with rearward facing seats like seats on a train). May be you have pictures of jet engines or ordnance in the cargo hold?? I read there is a cage system for transport of heavy cargo...

Thanks in advance.

Giles

Craig, you are a navy guy right?
No, I have not served.
I have seen some interior shots with slightly different configuration (e.g. a large (fuel?) tank in front of the row of seats, also forward facing seats with rearward facing seats like seats on a train). May be you have pictures of jet engines or ordnance in the cargo hold?? I read there is a cage system for transport of heavy cargo...
This is the sum total of my interior images, unfortunately, product of what we call a "one-time-good-deal". The C-2 has really been overlooked - ignored, even. Perhaps Spongebob could add some advice...?
No, I have not served.

This is the sum total of my interior images, unfortunately, product of what we call a "one-time-good-deal". The C-2 has really been overlooked - ignored, even. Perhaps Spongebob could add some advice...?

A very lucky break indeed!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Pinging all squids... any of you have had a peek inside a Greyhound?

Giles

The COD is uber-configurable. The pics shown show a standard 50-something pax configuration, but they will reconfigure it based on what they're hauling. There is an auxiliary tank that can be installed - adds enough range to island hop around the Pacific but they are very uncommon, with the exception of maybe VRC-30 Det 5 over in Japan.

The cargo cage - if you look in the pics, down the center between the seats you'll see four horizontal, metal bars. That's where the cage is except the bars would be repositioned or more added. It allows them to toss bags into the aircraft and not have to worry about the cat/trap dislodging them and creating a missile hazard (I've seen a helmet bag go from the E-2 cockpit through 3 doors and past 3 NFO's to the aft pressure bulkhead on a cat shot...and dent it.)

Sorry, no pics... I hate flying in them and you're not allowed any carry on luggage anyway (guy got killed years ago because a Admiral's Aide tried to hold a briefcase during the cat shot...he couldn't).

Spongebob

The COD is uber-configurable. The pics shown show a standard 50-something pax configuration, but they will reconfigure it based on what they're hauling. There is an auxiliary tank that can be installed - adds enough range to island hop around the Pacific but they are very uncommon, with the exception of maybe VRC-30 Det 5 over in Japan.

The cargo cage - if you look in the pics, down the center between the seats you'll see four horizontal, metal bars. That's where the cage is except the bars would be repositioned or more added. It allows them to toss bags into the aircraft and not have to worry about the cat/trap dislodging them and creating a missile hazard (I've seen a helmet bag go from the E-2 cockpit through 3 doors and past 3 NFO's to the aft pressure bulkhead on a cat shot...and dent it.)

Sorry, no pics... I hate flying in them and you're not allowed any carry on luggage anyway (guy got killed years ago because a Admiral's Aide tried to hold a briefcase during the cat shot...he couldn't).

Spongebob

Uber-configurability makes a lot of sense. Spongebob, thanks for pointing that out! It sure clears the air about conflicting arrangements/configurations seen in the very few pictures one could find.

The horizontal bars above clad in red are part of the cargo cage? I have been wondering why the wrap some (but not all) of the cross bar in red :redx:.

Thanks!

Giles

The horizontal bars above clad in red are part of the cargo cage? I have been wondering why the wrap some (but not all) of the cross bar in red

Sorry, no...the 4 on the floor all the way forward - just below helmet on the center console. The ones you are looking at are the wing carry-through members. The fuel tank is in between them...red so you don't hit your head walking by. Padded for when you do (we aren't the smartest folk out there).

HTH

Sponge

Sorry, no...the 4 on the floor all the way forward - just below helmet on the center console. The ones you are looking at are the wing carry-through members. The fuel tank is in between them...red so you don't hit your head walking by. Padded for when you do (we aren't the smartest folk out there).

HTH

Sponge

Ha, ha, :taunt:

I checked my only photo with the 4 bars bolted horizontally across to make up the cage. That makes sense...

The red padding probably works for someone like me...

I'd like to scratchbuild some interior... so probably this COD will not be completed before GB timeline.

Giles

:explode: Hi Spongebob,

Those red padded areas look familiar. I was once invited aboard a C-2 at Richmond for a look see and I was particularly surprised at how little head room there was inside. I am an average height bloke (5'10") and for some strange reason I expected them to have a lot more headroom than our Caribous. They did have a little more but I still had to stoop in most areas of the aircraft. Apart from that I think they are quite a good looking and useful aeroplane.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I look forward to seeing it! I'll send some email out to see if I can get some more shots for you. When in full "carrier support" mode, the cage crossbars go almost all the way to the ceiling.

HTH

Sponge

Thanks Spongebob!

I am really looking forward to an attempt on that C-2. It is an aircraft I have always wanted to build (well, for 20 years at least :lol: )

A full blown interior would be something out of my league, but I should at least try my best. You guys will just have to bribe, cajole, drag, goad... me along the way!

I just hope I wouldn't disappoint and could actually get some thing done (in gaps between traveling) during the duration of this GB.

Giles

Ops, I did it! :whistle:

I have never ever build a vacuform. Although I knew the theory, I could do with a quick tutorial and hands on practical experience. But, I can't wait... so I did what I thought is logical...:)

IMG_4837.jpg

The 20 year old donor kit (yes, it is a FUJIMI).

The vacuform COD fuselage half.

The skeletal frame (from FUJIMI E-2 fuselage) to support the vacuform "skin".

IMG_4838.jpg

I cut the skeletal framework in such a way that I could have an option to do up the interior...

We'll see where this one is heading...

Giles

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Giles, any progress? I have this conversion to do one day :(

Er... not really.

I have been busy with work related travel. Been flying a lot lately... on airliners, may be I should build an airliner instead ;) .

I hope to get some work done while on terra firma this week...

Giles

• 1 year later...