DONE! - Kinetic F-16A - New kit, new attitude.

I have the Tamiya -C Blk 25/32 kit, so I will have to just make those blisters for the tail base and try to get close. My kit budget for the quarter is done, so I have to work with what I have.

mind the tail of the F-16C is much longer at the front base than on F-16C, so you can't just convert the C tail from the Tamiya kit. Sorry.

About Sidewinder L or M will be appropiate.

I think for what he is wanting to build, the Kinetic might be the right kit. If he goes with a GP loadout, the AIM-7 pylon is not an issue. The MLU inst panel could be easily changed to reflect an earlier ADF, or just close the canopy.

I would assume by his comment "I'm not a rivet counter" he's merely going for the overall look of an ADF.

I think for what he is wanting to build, the Kinetic might be the right kit. If he goes with a GP loadout, the AIM-7 pylon is not an issue. The MLU inst panel could be easily changed to reflect an earlier ADF, or just close the canopy.

I would assume by his comment "I'm not a rivet counter" he's merely going for the overall look of an ADF.

You sure got that right! Like I mentioned earlier, I only have the Tamiya -C kit to work with. I know it's not the same overall, but if I can get reasonably close I'd be happy. Again, it's only a hobby, and we're supposed to have fun with it, so if I can't make a reasonable ADF-looking plane, then I'll save myself a lot of headache and just build it OOB and use the PRANG decals anyway. I'm sure most of us have been down this road before, but I'm on notice from the boss that there shall be no more kit purchases prior to the IPMS Nats, otherwise things get miserable for big daddy. Everything you guys have shared is a great help - I will still try to modify the kit as I can in terms of antennae, armament, and any other external features I can "fix". Keep the info coming- it's not going to waste! :pray:

You guys are a bundle of information for me! :deadhorse1: Like I said earlier, I have the Tamiya -C Blk 25/32 kit, so I will have to just make those blisters for the tail base and try to get close. My kit budget for the quarter is done, so I have to work with what I have. It's kind of nice to know I have the option of using the other ordinance. Can you guys tell me if the stuff like the ECM pod or the AAQ-28 pod would be used? And as far as Aim-9s, would the -M or the -X be appropriate for a PRANG unit? I'm just no thip to this F-16 stuff.

To add to andres comments, most if not all of the PR jets always carried TER, myself never saw a Bucanero with AAM other than Sidewinder. The following photos are not the best but shows typical PR jet configuration with TER, wingtip winders and two fuel tanks.

HTH ;)

f163.jpg

f164.jpg

f167.jpg

here you are a few of the modifications needed for the wings: remove RWR on cutting edges, sand flat bumps on wings roots (there are 4 of them) and cover the two panel on the back of the fuselage with Mr. Surfacer 500.

34j7qt4.jpg

Paolo - thanks so much for the visual cues - that is exactly what I needed to see! :huh: I had wondered about those bumps and extra panels. And nachjager - thank you for the pics! Those are next to impossible to find on the 'net. From what little I know about this stuff, I am assuming that the TERs were only for ground ordinance. Also, is there anything on the centerline? It looks like there's something there, but I'm not sure. Thanks again to everyone for your help - I am stoked to get this kit on the table!

From what little I know about this stuff, I am assuming that the TERs were only for ground ordinance.

Yup, corectamundo. Those are used to mount bombs like Mk 82's, CBU's and GBU-12 LGB's.

Most of the time the TERs mounted just two items a piece instead of the maximum possible three due to weight issues; in that case, the innermost station is left empty.

Also, is there anything on the centerline? It looks like there's something there, but I'm not sure.

Common loads for the underfuselage hardpoint are the the centreline fuel tank or an ECM pod.

HTH!,

Andre

To add to andres comments, most if not all of the PR jets always carried TER, myself never saw a Bucanero with AAM other than Sidewinder. The following photos are not the best but shows typical PR jet configuration with TER, wingtip winders and two fuel tanks.

HTH :woot.gif:

f163.jpg

f164.jpg

f167.jpg

Several points:

1. Great pics! Can you post more?

2. Please note that not all the PRANG's F-16 were ADF. The bird on your first pic did not have the slicers.

3. Is that an 131 ECM pod on the center station of the first bird.

Many thanks for your posting!

Jose

Several points:

2. Please note that not all the PRANG's F-16 were ADF. The bird on your first pic did not have the slicers.

Jose

the next question here is where to get the decals ? I been tracking an old Fujimi F-16 issue of Puerto Ricon ANG but without any sucess

Best Luck

Armando :woot.gif:

The bird on your first pic did not have the slicers.

IFF bird slicers are not enought to makle an ADF. The real difference is the tail (at least on single seaters). That photo clearly show an ADF tail so that is just an early ADF Viper still without IFF. Portugal flew several of them.

IFF bird slicers are not enought to makle an ADF. The real difference is the tail (at least on single seaters). That photo clearly show an ADF tail so that is just an early ADF Viper still without IFF. Portugal flew several of them.

Paolo:

You have an incredible wealth of info on the Viper!! Many thanks for all your comments!

Jose

the next question here is where to get the decals ? I been tracking an old Fujimi F-16 issue of Puerto Ricon ANG but without any sucess

Best Luck

Armando :lol:

The PRANG F-16 decals were made by Expert Decals, which is owned by the company that makes Bare Metal Foil. These decals have been oop for several years. This is their web site:

http://bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-One-F...ale-Decals.html

Email them with your interest. Maybe they'll do a reprint if enough people ask.

Regards,

Jose

Several points:

Jose

Regarding point #1: I will try to dig some more PRANG pics from my hard disk and post here. On point #2, although all 198th FS F-16's where ADF not all carried the IFF antennas, IIRC I saw one plane without the topside slicers but still carrying the bottom one. And, yes, that's a 131 ECM pod.

Regarding point #1: I will try to dig some more PRANG pics from my hard disk and post here. On point #2, although all 198th FS F-16's where ADF not all carried the IFF antennas, IIRC I saw one plane without the topside slicers but still carrying the bottom one. And, yes, that's a 131 ECM pod.

Thanks for the info! Your pics of the PRANG Vipers will be greatly appreciated.

Jose

ragatiger - I recently got my hands on the Experts' Choice set, and it is a great set to have. I'm sure of you poke around enough online, you'll find a set. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the input. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all of the great info here, I sold some stuff and got my hands on Italeri's F-16A which comes with all of the aforementioned parts to do the ADF. My (hopefully) last question regarding these birds - what are the definitive greys for the camo? Every kit and every diagram has different colors. Can anyone give me the skinny on the colors? Based on the pics and stuff, I am going to have the ECM pod on the centerline, two wing tanks and sidewinders. I was considering the large 50th anniversary logo for the tail, but I am probably going for the standard markings (the gold seems a little too overwhelming in that tail art). Again, thanks to all for your help.

Can anyone give me the skinny on the colors?

Looking at the photos in post #31, this is the scheme and colors you want:

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/f16a_egypt1_3.jpg

However, while they give a specific color for the radome in that profile, the radome can be many shades of grey and clearly in the earlier photo in this thread the radome is much darker than the FS36320 the profile assigns to it.

Edited by David Walker
  • 7 months later...

After a long wait, I have gotten some building done on my PRANG F-16. I picked up a BB cockpit and the Verlinden F-16 superdetail set at a couple of shows. I am priming today and will try and post pics tonight. Again, you guys are great- thanks for all of the help!

So after much fiddling with the BB cockpit and the Verlinden detail set, I've gotten everything to fit. I have the basic plane assembled, and I have painted the basic camo. I had a horrible accident with a can of primer, and had to respray ALL of the exterior of the plane. In these photos you can still see some spots of white that I will take care of in touchup:

Here is the collection of the parts I have painted, including the fuel tanks. One of the pieces of the bang seat broke during clean-up of excess resin, but I may still try to scratch a new piece for it before placing it in the cockpit.

DSCF0970.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the open nose and radar mount, still to be painted (part of my primer accident):

DSCF0971.jpg

Overall shot of the cockpit and open gun bay- can someone tell me the correct color for the cockpit? Mine is way too light:

DSCF0972.jpg

Please pass along your observations and comments. And remember - no rivet counting here - I will be happy with a presentable model when completed.

• 1 month later...

Update - after destroying the tail antennas for the third time, I have shelved this kit. I have the Kinetic kit on order and it will be in the non-anniversary markings since I had already placed them on the tail of the Italeri kit.

• 9 months later...

Hey, time to move this topic back along. I've got the Kinetic F-16 AM, and while it won't be a perfect ADF, it will do for me. Heck, I'll just be happy to finish another kit this year! I've started on the basics - sanded off the IPs for replacement with etch, and I'm looking around for a replacement seat that won't break the bank. Photos to be posted when I can show some progress.