Try This One For Size!

Nice idea but I think the TH members will expect you to scratch build an interior. Better yet, add a Saturn V section or other space vehicle part tucked away inside..... :worship:

Seriously, that would be a nice entry...good luck.

Edited by drhornii
Nice idea but I think the TH members will expect you to scratch build an interior. Better yet, add a Saturn V section or other space vehicle part tucked away inside..... :cheers:

Scratch build the interior of a 1/144? :thumbsup:

I'd need a magnifying glass stand :lol: and may be 10 years :taunt: .

Seriously, it would definitely make a very nice entry.

Giles

• 3 weeks later...
Nice idea but I think the TH members will expect you to scratch build an interior. Better yet, add a Saturn V section or other space vehicle part tucked away inside..... ;)

I found this on the internet while waiting in the departure lounge.

LoadingaSuperGuppy.jpg

I shall not succumb to drhornii's taunts...

Giles

Edited by giles
What is the big deal, a little cargo webbing, pieces of sprue....piece of cake :tease::taunt:

I was in China last week, home for the weekend... will be in Egypt for this week and the Gulf next week :angry: .

I bit the bullet... my Guppy is not at home <_< It is sitting in the transit luggage hold while I am drinking coffee and surfing... we wait for our connecting flight to Cairo...

Let's see what gets done by the time I return home...

Giles

Edited by giles

Or you could do it like they did with the real plane, get academy's C-97 kit in 1/72nd, buy a cheap P-3 orion or copy the engines, scratch build the upper fuselage, wing and tailplane surfaces and you have yourself a nice and big Superguppy. I once saw a C-97 very cheap so grabbed it with me for this idea :salute:

Or you could do it like they did with the real plane, get academy's C-97 kit in 1/72nd, buy a cheap P-3 orion or copy the engines, scratch build the upper fuselage, wing and tailplane surfaces and you have yourself a nice and big Superguppy. I once saw a C-97 very cheap so grabbed it with me for this idea ;)

Yeah, that'll be very neat indeed.

Me? I only went on this Guppy trail when I chanced upon the profile of a Super Guppy used by Airbus Industries.

It wasn't on my must build list. It is on my might be nice to build list though :D.

Giles

• 2 weeks later...
Or you could do it like they did with the real plane, get academy's C-97 kit in 1/72nd, buy a cheap P-3 orion or copy the engines, scratch build the upper fuselage, wing and tailplane surfaces and you have yourself a nice and big Superguppy. I once saw a C-97 very cheap so grabbed it with me for this idea :thumbsup:

Fiddler,

Please could I trouble you to scan the instructions of your Academy C-97.

I'd like to scratch build the undercarriage for my MINI Super Guppy in 1/300. I have pictures of the front undercarriage (courtesy of th Heller AWACS) but know next to nothing about the main undercarriage of the C-97/377...

Thanks in advance.

Giles

I"ll see what I can do.

I don't have a scanner but I'll try and photograph them for you. I'll put them ready for this evening for when I returned from work. Now I have some cleaning to do as I have my own home to run since 2 months now :thumbsup:

I also have walkaround pictures of the thing :) Been to England in Brunthingthorpe and there's one on display in the museum.

Edited by Fiddler
I"ll see what I can do.

I don't have a scanner but I'll try and photograph them for you. I'll put them ready for this evening for when I returned from work. Now I have some cleaning to do as I have my own home to run since 2 months now :worship:

I also have walkaround pictures of the thing :cheers: Been to England in Brunthingthorpe and there's one on display in the museum.

Thanks Fiddler!

Actually, if you would, please could you let me have the actual height of the main undercarriage leg (in 1/72) and the diameter of the main undercarriage wheel (in 1/72).

About the Brunthingthorpe walkabout pictures, I have send you a pm with my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance.

Giles

Hi, for the dimensions of the gear, here are the results:

All in millimeter

Wheel diameter:

nose: 12.5

main: 18.5

Gearstruts: (measured the exact vertical hight of the strut itself like they would be fitted to the airframe)

nose hight: 24.8

nose bay depth: 6.5

main hight: 21.2

main bay depth: 10.0

So actual hight from ground to plane would be struthight with wheelradius, minus the baydepth

By the way, I thought this kit looks superdetailed so it's kinda pitty they didn't do the effort for the landing gear :thumbsup:

Rest follows later, have to do some things which are slightly more urgent :lol:

Hi, for the dimensions of the gear, here are the results:

All in millimeter

Wheel diameter:

nose: 12.5

main: 18.5

Gearstruts: (measured the exact vertical hight of the strut itself like they would be fitted to the airframe)

nose hight: 24.8

nose bay depth: 6.5

main hight: 21.2

main bay depth: 10.0

So actual hight from ground to plane would be struthight with wheelradius, minus the baydepth

By the way, I thought this kit looks superdetailed so it's kinda pitty they didn't do the effort for the landing gear :D

Rest follows later, have to do some things which are slightly more urgent ;)

Thanks Fiddler!

I forgot to look at primeportal :cheers:. The allaboutguppys.com site is cool :thumbsup: that's where I found the NASA bird while waiting for my ride.

Your measurements were very helpful. Thanks!

My cross measure of the equivalent (in 1/72) for B-707 or E-3 AWACS nose gear is:

nose wheel dia: 12.0 (high pressure tyre?)

nose gear struts height: 27.5

nose bay depth: meaningless (as it is only applicable for the 707)

Anyway, just to put things into perspective...

In 1/300 scale, the dimensions of the gear will be:

nose wheel dia: 2.9

nose gear strut: 6.6

nose bay depth: 1.6

main wheel dia : 4.4

main gear strut: 5.1

main bay depth: 2.4

All in millimeter!

Giles.

What is the big deal, a little cargo webbing, pieces of sprue....piece of cake :D :pray:

I lobotomised the Guppy a week ago in Cairo, but didn't take any pictures because I did not pack my camera.

Here's one I made earlier...

IMG_4844.jpg

And, I have cut out the main undercarriage doors and blanked it with luggage tags (sponsored by Qatar Airways :wub:).

IMG_4849.jpg

Will be scavenging for suitable bits for the undercarriage...

Giles

Edited by giles