VF2SS 'Max Special'

Here is a VF2SS from Macross 2. Although the anime wasn't the best, the mecha design was very cool. Bandai made a 1/100 scale injection kit, but it wasn't as detailed as I'd liked. After a lot of hunting I finally got hold of the rare 1/72 scale resin kit which I've finally completed. Instead of the mostly white which appeared in the anime, I decided to make this Max J's blue and white striped special, although he did not appear in this version of Macross. I got my inspiration from the cover of an old B-Club magazine.

I decided to keep the gloss finish. Usually I'd do a matt coat, but it just looked 'right'. Of course this means it doesn't photograph as nice, but since I build all models for display and personal enjoyment, it's not a big deal for me. And the blue looks quite a bit darker in these pics than it does in real life, although the finish changes the colour all the time. Still, I hope you enjoy these pics of my VF2SS 'Max Special'. Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

A-1.jpg

B-1.jpg

C-1.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

Doesn't photograph as well!? Dude, that is the damn nicest Valkyrie that I have ever seen! :cheers: The VF-2SS is easily the best-looking (rigth behind the SV-51 of course ;)) VF ever designed. Awesome job on it, really! :thumbsup:

Actually, it kind of looks like a JASDF anniversary scheme. But anyway, man, :worship:

I always thought the VF-2S Space Valkyrie was ugly as sin in fighter mode without it's FAST packs, the VF-2J Icarus had a much more conventional profile in fighter mode.

Musasiya pressed these sometime in late 1990s-early 2000s I believe. These guys along with B-club, Kaiyodo, Club-M, and Yellow Submarine pretty much had the Macross resin market cornered for the longest time. "Wave" and "Studio Half-Eye" came along a little later. Musasiya was known pretty well for that VF-2SS kit (As you built yours it's just a VF-2S, if it were a 2SS, it would have the FAST Pack/Beam cannon set installed) as well as their non-transformable VF-4G Lightning Valkyrie.

Musasiya never did a VF-2J "Icarus", but B-club did a pair of non-transformable 1/100 scale versions. a Battroid and a Fighter.

(Want a REAL Macross resin challenge? Build Studio Half-Eye's VF-5000B Star Mirage or their VF-11B Thunderbolt kits... If you can properly install all the hinges/joints to make the thing transform and FIT, you are a modelling GOD.)

Edited by Skull Leader
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...