Tamiya M60A1 w/ reactive armor

Thanks!

That is perfect.....and now that I now what TC is (duh!) I can get that fixed quick enough.

So, I should be cutting the mesh at an angle, so it gets a diamond-esque pattern?

Thanks for the advice HeavyArty....very helpful stuff for my next build!

I have made most of the adjustments needed....I just need to go back over the "TCS Vision blocks" (doh!) with clear green.

The bustle rack has been painted, the lower hull has been soiled (god, that sounds wrong!), smoke launchers and end of the barrel are now black to show some depth and the antenna has been painted dark green.

Just waiting on the last bit of sludge on the lower hull to dry before I snap a couple more pics

Edited by paul.nortness

Aloha Paul, great looking Dinosaur! Looks like HvyArty is giving you some good gouge as well :whistle:

Here’s a little extra gouge for the next armor build, if you go with a 60 again…

We painted our 60’s (A1’s & A3’s) using a Wagner power sprayer, normally once a year but not always. If the vehicle needed a little touch-up we’d often go at it with a brush vs. spray can (paint came in a 5 gal. bucket & had to be thinned, no canned spray available at that time). Basically we took the tech order and drew the proper MERDEC pattern on the tank in chalk outlines (each area labeled in the applicable color). Once that was done we removed what vision blocks we could while covering all the others with GAA (a thick grease) as a mask. Then we shot color… On everything! Tracks, Wheels, vinyl mantle cover, you name it. Again everything was green, field drab, black, or sand :D Eventually we stopped using sand for some reason, not sure why. Anyway… Once complete we wiped away the GAA reinstalled the vision blocks, antennas, etc. and started on the next tank. As I’m sure you can imagine, the first tank always looked great but by the time we hit the 14th tank, it was iffy at best and only slightly matched the MERDEC painting TM. In fact we even worked “FTA†into one scheme using the black “branches†of the selected MERDEC pattern. We got found out by the Battalion CO and spent that afternoon repainting said vehicle :doh: The tanks looked good up until the first post paint job field problem, gunnery, or trip down the tank trail. After that some but not all of the paint has flaked off the rubber portion of both road wheels & tracks, the tracks normally become “terrain†colored (not rust colored), and the overall vehicle becomes dust stained (the paints were very porous & grabbed dust & dirt like you wouldn’t believe). Other stains start to build up like oil, CLP, fuel, food (yes food), etc. Within a few months of that fresh paint job the tanks started looking like tanks again… grungy! Now they were always washed post field problem, gunnery, and during Q’s. But once a tank hits the field the weathering was quite rapid & at times extreme.

Main thing to take from my ramblings & purely IMHO… Don’t worry too much about having that perfect rubber meets steel road wheel line or precisely picked out vision blocks because more often than not they weren’t that perfect even on the real deal. Don’t be afraid to experiment with weathering techniques either, go for it and have a blast. Last thing, take a look at any heavy equipment you may have working construction sites around your area, they weather a lot like tanks as well.

Again great looking 60, can’t wait until it’s complete… Makes me want to build some heavy metal as well!

HTH a little, Ahui hou :coolio:

Mark

Not one of my finer moments… Gunner (assistant TC) & loader not happy!

Stuck.jpg