For anyone with B-52 experience

Would anyone here happen to know any noticeable differences between the B-52H model cockpit and any previous models? I'm asking as a comment on a youtube video I posted piqued my interest:

buffcomments.jpg

This person who claims to be a crew chief says that the "rhino's horn" seen in the video exists on the H model, when in fact it was also on the earlier G models as well. Then again he also claims that it was taken at Barksdale when in reality it was taken at Sheppard. I don't know if I should delete the last 3 comments by this guy or remove the video completely, but I'd like to hear if anyone has some insight that might prove the aircraft in the video is not an H model.

Here are some photos of the aircraft from Sheppard(same one in the video):

Cockpit:

DSC00272-1.jpg

Rhino's horn(note the paint corrosion):

DSC00275.jpg

Engines(clearly not the current model engines!):

DSC00304.jpg

I wonder if Barksdale's flightline looks anything like that?

Video link:

To note, this jet also had the rear gun turret, featuring four gun barrels, which was removed a long time ago, but I don't have any photos of that.

But even though the engines are probably the most distinguishing factor from the outside, I would like to know if the cockpit features have changed since the conversion to the H model.

Well, let me qualify this by saying I am by no means a BUFF expert. Since the conversion of the G/H models to the EVS system beginning in 1972, I believe that the cockpits and particularly the instrument panels, are pretty similar if not identical. The main difference in the 'pit area in the H model would be the Combat Track II screen that sits in the middle of the windscreen, it is able to be folded up and out of the way when the full windscreen is needed, it was fitted sometime in the late '90's. AFAIK, this was never fitted to the G model. The guns are another issue, the .50 cal turrets on the G's were removed beginning in October 1991. Apparently, although the H model Vulcan turret and associated equipment remained (until '94 or so), the actual gunner was removed in '91. The "Rams Horn" was absolutely fitted to the G model as weel as the Hl and it covered the ALT-28 ECM Jammer antenna. HTH,

Rick

I bet you that was taken at Sheppard. I'm almost positive they are students. I remember when I went to Sheppard we all went into the B-52!!!! WOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! I guess it was cool. We acted like these guys. Young and silly. Look at the flight line. A-10 F-15 KC-135 B-52 that's quite a collection. Also note how the AGE line is right in front of the hangar. Are you telling me they can tow that A-10 out quickly in an emergency? I bet the jet noise in the back ground is a bunch of T-38's.

My take on it and I wish I had taken pics when I was in school.....

Curt