Are you after "silver" per se, or "silver" as in BMF?

Humbrol 11 is actually quite a nice silver, especially for silver dope finishes, and brushes really well

Avoid Humbrol Metalcote, the quality control isn't there and I have had a couple of bad tins which were unusable

I've had good results with spray can silver sold for decorations, decanted into a pot and brushed on

Yeah--silver as in silver, or silver as in polished/chrome metal?

If you want silver---get something from Floquil or Polly-Scale. Stainless steel and ATSF silver are very good, and the best acrylic silvers period.

For chrome-like---MM enamel chrome silver is the only real option IMHO.

Option: Tamiya's silver *marker*. It's unique and unlike any other Tamiya paint AFAIK. Just "marker up the brush" and go for it. Fairly "hot" though and stickier than most---never tried to thin it. It's about as smooth as MM chrome silver.

Edited by David Hingtgen
it's for this plane:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM---Royal...-8K2/1466529/L/

Instructions of the decals say silver, and that seems about right.

I think you might find "silver" a bit too metallic for that scheme, I think you might be better with a pale grey coat with a really thin "silver" coat over the top just for the shine.

I think you might find "silver" a bit too metallic for that scheme, I think you might be better with a pale grey coat with a really thin "silver" coat over the top just for the shine.

At first I was thinking of that too cause in dark weather it looked more grey then silver. One of the things I was worried about then is the thin coat of silver. How will it look like once mixed, will it flake? And which greypaint will the one to use?

@lock n' load: Putting foil on the model is out of the question really. It's something I haven't doen before. And frankly a want a bit of a clean build with this one.

But I'm still waiting on an answer at another place about the real colour used there. That info will help a lot.

Edited by Mad Viper

That's more like metallic grey than anything, I wouldn't use any existing silver paint for that. Rant:

Truly lazy on KLM's part. Just actually strip and polish the belly if you're going to try to replicate the old bare-metal-belly livery. We all know NG 737s can be bare metal. Truly, they can do in 1:1 what we can't in 1:72---actually polish up bare metal. But seriously, a can of Tamiya Silver would have looked more like the original paint scheme than this.

For some reason nearly every airline retro scheme uses "metallic grey" paint, instead of a really nice silver paint, to try to replicate the bare metal areas.

Try to find Games Workshop/Citadel colors.

A mix of Boltgun Metal and a Light Grey paint will do.

I think that colors are the best for brushing,even better from enamels,and without any brush strokes....

Mad Viper,

I assume that you don't have an airbrush available at this time. That is a shame, because it would provide you with many different options. That said, I don't know if you have Testor's available in the Netherlands, but they used to have a color, German Silver (if memory serves me correctly) available in their Model Master line, as a spray. It had less of a "chrome" quality to it. A word of caution though, Testor's regular silver enamels take "forever" to fully dry. Good luck with what ever you decide upon.

Sincerely,

David

David,

An airbush isn't available at the time, not in the near future either. Model Master is available but couldn't find german grey.

But after some quick search I found some other interesting options.

Vallejo Silver Grey FS36622 and Tamiya Metallic Grey XF56. But by looking at the jar it seems that the last one is a bit to dark to my taste.

And I thought this would be a simple thing :thumbsup:

Edited by Mad Viper

Agree on the XF56.

I like the idea of mixing grey with a metalcolour.

But then come the question of which grey then? Don't have all the greyshades in the collection and checking which one will the best will be a long job. And personally I don't have the time to do that.

So howbout that Vallejo silvergrey then.

Just found a coloursample for whatever thats correct on a pcscreen.

Vallejo Silver Grey

Starting to think that this colour it's a good match.