Trumpeter 1/350 USS Nimitz

As the title. Anyone out there built one?

I'm considering either buying that one or the Tamiya Enterprise and would appreciate opinions before I do.

Thanks

There's an In-Progress thread on the Nimitz here. You can also try carrierbuilders or steelnavy. They're model ship websites. I know they have galleries but I don't remember if they have forums. Google them for the exact url.

Steel Navy & Carrier Builders both have forums, however Carrier Builders seems to have died off, but there still seems to be a fair bit of good info present from the little bit of time Ive spent looking around there. Steel Navy is very active w/ some very knowledgeable people.

www.modelwarships.com

we even have a section just on carrier buildups, with thousands of detail and reference pictures. There is a forum there, and literally experts who have served, serviced and in some case had a hand in building all types of naval vessels haunt the boards there. I have never seen a dumb question, and always seen helpful friendly responses, sometimes within minutes of asking a question.

Ric

Thanks lads!

All sites mentioned will be trawled thro' assiduously I assure you :thumbsup:

Hi,

To answer your question directly, I built both. The Enterprise is a little dated but a great build. The Nimitz is an exceptional build. I would recommend the Trumpeter aircraft sets regardless of which kit you build. They are just years ahead of the Tamiya offerings. As I build mostly for myself, I didn't concern myself with questions about the kits perfectness. They both look really close to the pics I have seen of the timeframe they are set in.

You can't go wrong with either one. Nimitz is a bit higher in price as it is newer, but can be had for around 100.00 if you look around. I paid 55.00 for my Enterprise.

Hope that helps you and if you have questions, ask them and I will see if I can answer them.

Jeff

Excellent Jeff!!

There are some questions I have on the 'Nimitz' if thats ok?

1/ The flight deck----Are the tie downs REALLY as oversize as I've read on a couple of reviews?

2/ The period the boat is moulded in--'75---do you know if it would be relatively easy to update this--perhaps to around '93?

3/ Are the mouldings relatively 'clean'? I have 3 Trumpy models, all suffer from flash, injection pin marks all over the place and a generally 'rough' appearance as if they were a bit short of mould release agent at the time?!

I must admit I'm really leaning towards the Nimitz it just seems to have something the 'Big E' model lacks--can't put my finger on it tho'

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks mate.

Gordon

Excellent Jeff!!

There are some questions I have on the 'Nimitz' if thats ok?

1/ The flight deck----Are the tie downs REALLY as oversize as I've read on a couple of reviews?

2/ The period the boat is moulded in--'75---do you know if it would be relatively easy to update this--perhaps to around '93?

3/ Are the mouldings relatively 'clean'? I have 3 Trumpy models, all suffer from flash, injection pin marks all over the place and a generally 'rough' appearance as if they were a bit short of mould release agent at the time?!

I must admit I'm really leaning towards the Nimitz it just seems to have something the 'Big E' model lacks--can't put my finger on it tho'

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks mate.

Gordon

Gordon,

I am sorry I may not be much help when it comes to total accurracy issues. I thought the tie downs were within reason. I know they should scale out at about 6-8 inches but not 100% sure. I don't think we ever had any 2 together that were the same on Kennedy. I don't know how hard it would be to bring the kit up to '93. Not sure what the noticable differences are. I just built mine as is out of the box and just put the aircraft on the deck I wanted. Anyone that would see it wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I didn't notice alot of flash problems. There was a bit, but alot less than you find in other kits. For me, the biggest difference for me was that the Nimitz was newer and tooling was a whole world better.

Hope these answers helped a bit.

Jeff

Gordon,

I am sorry I may not be much help when it comes to total accurracy issues. I thought the tie downs were within reason. I know they should scale out at about 6-8 inches but not 100% sure. I don't think we ever had any 2 together that were the same on Kennedy. I don't know how hard it would be to bring the kit up to '93. Not sure what the noticable differences are. I just built mine as is out of the box and just put the aircraft on the deck I wanted. Anyone that would see it wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I didn't notice alot of flash problems. There was a bit, but alot less than you find in other kits. For me, the biggest difference for me was that the Nimitz was newer and tooling was a whole world better.

Hope these answers helped a bit.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not to bothered about detail stuff, there's plenty out there if I can just get meself away from the plastic bits long enough!

No, I was more concerned about how good a job Trumpy made of the model as against Tamiya's ageing kit of the big E.

I am leaning towards the former because it IS a newer mould with, as far as I can see, a lot of slide moulding used which gives sharper details.

The fact that you thought it was a 'whole world better' tells me all I need to know.

Thanks again, I think I'll give it a go!

All I need after that is to collect about another 70 aircraft!! :monkeydance:

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not to bothered about detail stuff, there's plenty out there if I can just get meself away from the plastic bits long enough!

No, I was more concerned about how good a job Trumpy made of the model as against Tamiya's ageing kit of the big E.

I am leaning towards the former because it IS a newer mould with, as far as I can see, a lot of slide moulding used which gives sharper details.

The fact that you thought it was a 'whole world better' tells me all I need to know.

Thanks again, I think I'll give it a go!

All I need after that is to collect about another 70 aircraft!! :cheers:

If you build it, be sure to post pics!! I have that very same kit in the stash, so ... :monkeydance:

Take Care

If you build it, be sure to post pics!! I have that very same kit in the stash, so ... :monkeydance:

Take Care

Hayyyy! That's cheatin'!!!

I ain't even got it yet you chancer!

get it out the stash and get buildin' so I'll know wots wot! :cheers:

As the title. Anyone out there built one?

I'm considering either buying that one or the Tamiya Enterprise and would appreciate opinions before I do.

Thanks

I have buit the BIG "E" twice and it is a really good kit. I am working on the Trumpy Nimitz right now and is is worlds better that the Tamiya Enterprise. Great fit, no problems (YET) hanger deck, and the greatest 1/350 aircraft that I have seen. White Ensign and Gold Medal Models make fantastic P/E sets for it and White Ensign also makes P/E cockpit interior kits for the aircraft. Small, but really do add to the overall look of the aircraft. There are also P/E sets to detail the exterior of the planes.

I have also cut up a Tamiya Enterprise to build a CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk, I retired off her in 1987.

Buy the Trumpeter kit, you will not be dissapointed with it.

Edited by riggerray

Right---let me get this right ok?

White Ensign make Cockpit Interiors for 1/350 aircraft in P/E???

WOT!!!!

Me poor ole eyes will never handle that!! :tease:

I can just imagine trying to make bang seats in 1/350! The d**n carpet monster'l eat the lot! :P

I can see it now---"I'll just fit this belt on and that'll be it fin--bugger, there it goes"! :P

Jings!! :crying2:

That's it then, the order goes in this week--one Nimitz please and spare the Relish! :P

Hey Gordon,

I have the trumpeter nimitz, great kit. Gold Medal models makes a photoetch set that includes many of the updates needed to make it a more modern version plus all of the deck edge walkways and netting. a thousand times better than the kit's molded stuff. i think the biggest challenge i'd run in to (the main excuse for not finishing it) is the extra sructures on the front side of the hull where the weapon systems mount. the newer Nimitz has one on each side and they are fairly complex shapes. they don't come with the kit. the photoetch set has updated masts of different time periods and different ships (and even has some bicycles!). i was building mine in a 2004 or so config. so i had to scratch build my main mast. the newer mast is a solid structure, not framework like the older ones. i'll have to look for the site i referenced the most. it was a photographer's site some Steelhauer (sp?) had some great photos that were a lot of help.

if there is anything else i can maybe help with, let me know.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill.

It arrived today! Wonderful model!

At 1st glance it's worth every penny and there's a LOT of plastic!!!

Not even going to think of starting it yet, way to much research to do.

I know the weapons platforms you mentioned--there's also one on the Starboard side face of the the main island and another, (with a sensor dome), on the front, port side just under the deck--it's more a platform on a bracket really.

Sooo, lots to find out, lots to buy and lots to figure out!!

Wonderful!

Oh, and I didn't actually order it. Went on to the site and the one they had was gone! Was spitting blood but, as I said, it arrived today. Turns out 'she who must be obeyed' had ordered it as a birthday present!! :wub:

Oh, and I didn't actually order it. Went on to the site and the one they had was gone! Was spitting blood but, as I said, it arrived today. Turns out 'she who must be obeyed' had ordered it as a birthday present!! :wave:
You better have something really special planned for "V" day or the BIG N will be your dinner Sunday!! :monkeydance:
You better have something really special planned for "V" day or the BIG N will be your dinner Sunday!! B)

Paul. Had a wonderful dinner today thanks and it wasn't large lumps of plastic! :lol:

Must have done summit right :D