Howdy, fellow modelers! I thought I would throw my hat in the ring for this GB. I like the Tomcat, have a fair amount of F-14 kits in my stash, but have never started one. This looks like the perfect motivation! Here's what I plan on starting with:

VF31Tomcat002122008MJIsmall.jpg

To dress the kit up a bit, I plan on using the following aftermarket goodies:

VF31Tomcat007122008MJIsmall.jpg

These are a set of Eduards masks, Steel beach Intake covers and a set of Modern Hobbies NACES bang seats. I also plan on using a set of drpeppers engine exhausts, but they have not yet arrived.

My build will start off slow as I have another build in progress (Airliners) and two other kits on my bench that I need to finish. By starting a post, I hope that I'll be motivated to add a little at a time until I can focus on this kit.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:)

• 1 month later...

Althought I was pretty much out of the pocket modeling wise since late January due to work, I am now back with (occasional) model bench time. I am still trying to make some progress in other builds, but I have made a start on my Tomcat build for this GB. As usual, I started on the pit. I used the Haegawa PE set that comes with the kit. Other than the painting required and the addition of a throttle made from 5 miniute epoxy and a pin, it is OOB. Here's how it looks so far:

VF31Tomcat008022009MJI.jpg

VF31Tomcat014022009MJIsmall.jpg

Now that I feel like I have made some progress, I hope to start building up the fuselage.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have finally cleared some of the other models off my workbench, and I am now able to spend more time on the different GBs that I have started. I've built up the main parts of the fuselage, using the build comments from Brian. With a little bit of patience, this went together a bit better than I expected! :whistle: Here is the main body after assembly, a little seam filling and a shot of Mr Surfacer primer:

VF31Tomcat029042009MJIsmall.jpg

VF31Tomcat030042009MJIsmall.jpg

I need to do a little touch up on some open pin hole seams, but not a lot is required. It looks like I can now add the rest of the major bits and pieces on the way to the overall paint step. I am thinking of leaving the rudders and underbody fins seperate as they need to be painted black and keeping them off should make masking a bit easier.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:angry:

I had mentioned when I started this thread that I was going to use drpepper's GE engine exhausts, but that they had not yet arrived. Well, his package dropped into my mailbox shortly after I started this build. In between sanding steps on the main fuselage, I removed the resin pour stubs, and shot the exhausts with Mr Surfacer 1000 as primer, then with several shades of Alclad. The resin exhausts from drpepper comes with the black composite (?) decals, so these went on next. I then dry brushed the interior with flat white to duplicate the weathering seen on Tomcats. For those unfamiliar with the drpepper exhausts, here's what you end up with:

VF31Tomcat022042009MJIsmall.jpg

All in all, I am really pleased with the way these came out. It was a LOT easier than assembling the Hasegawa GE exhausts! :thumbsup: Well done, drpepper!!

I'm back to working on the main body now........

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 8 months later...

Mike,

The cockpit is BRILLAINT..I love your neatness and deatils...

I lOVE TOMCATS, so I look fotrward to being enthralled by this build...

The exhausrs do look good and well its is a great start ! :woot.gif:

Edited by HOLMES
  • 2 months later...