ARC Pet picture thread

Here's Abby, AKA Dumbdog, Nose, Stoopid or any other nicname I can think of at the time. She's a 2 year old Basset Hound we rescued from the ABC Basset rescue a year ago. I have to say she is the best dog I've ever had. I can't imagine that someone would give her up, but I'm glad they did. She originally hails from the state of Georgia, so a rescue was made from NY, and 7 dogs were brought up from the Peachstate. The first time she saw snow was comical. She bounded out the door like always and landed in snow that was 6 inches deep. When you consider her tummy is only 5 inches off the ground it was quite a shock, and she looked up at me with me a "What the h-e-double-matchsticks is this stuff!" look on her face. I wish I had my camera. Even though she's short, she's solid at 65 pounds, and when she goes "maddog" you better not be sitting on the couch, as she doesn't care where she lands.

Abby001.jpg

My favorite picture of her.

Abby002.jpg

Doing what she does second-best after eating. One of the reasons I love the breed is their energy level... or lack of. It's basically one end of the couch to the other is considered a walk.

IMG00294-20090912-1610.jpg

Doing her Dead Dog trick. I form my hand into a "gun" and yell BANG. She rolls over and plays dead. It won her an award for Best Stupid Pet Trick at a Basset Blast I took her to.

I also have her as my avatar. You can see why I call her Nose.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking

Our little tortie cat, Trinity, dossing about until I throw her out to earn her keep mousing:

Trinity.jpg

Mrs P's Norwegian Forest cats Dandi (top) and Gus (proper name Ottar):

cats2009017.jpg

Dandi still goes to shows, but Gus is now retired as although he is pretty cute he has a couple of points that count against him. He is also not so easy to handle and is inclined to get ratty.

I'm threatening to get a Maine Coon as they are big and look real mean.

peebeep

• 2 weeks later...
He is a Bengal, which is really just a fancy American Shorthair bred for the markings, although there is a smidge of Asian Leopard Cat in them.

Wayne, I was reluctant to spend the kind of money these kittys bring from breeders but my wife really wanted one (I won't say how much, but lets just say it could have bought a bunch of Hasegawa kits).

I have to admit he is a really awesome cat, not just the looks he has a great personality. He is much more dog like than most cats I've had, he even plays fetch, a game he taught us.

b

Let me know, he was around 1K ( I paid that for my two Bengals, who are a) the most corious things ever and :woo: extremely smart, c) not shy of just about anything new and d) go along very well with kids )

Funny thing is that the female ( both neutered as they are from the same litter ) is smart and snuggles a lot, but does not do tricks. He on the other hand loves to play fetch and does seach and brings the balls when he is bored. Both can be very vocal about their wishes tho. Also he absolutely LOVES to play with water.

• 1 month later...
A tongue-in-cheek article about dogs vs. cats on New Scientist. Interesting facts there... And some of the comments are good... Well worth reading!

Dogs vs cats: The great pet showdown

Pretty cool read, I don't agree with a few of them, like the string deal etc. My dog picks up untrained behavior and even trains us on some things. Not sure how they pooled dogs tho, so that might be an overall thing.

I am not sure if they got into memory?

Would of been interesting for them to put the smell and hearing into lamen terms.

The Wife and I tried to figure, how the dog knows one of us are close to home. Using the Phone he seams to know when where about a mile from being home in our cars. So it would be interesting to find out what he is picking up on to do so.

Any of you guys leave these critters in Athens, Greece? It was almost noon...

DSC_0222_01.jpg

DSC_0223_01.jpg

DSC_0225_01.jpg

Or this kitty in Kusadasi, Turkey? She kept following us, along with three kittens!

DSC_0257.jpg

Couldn't resist taking these pics while on a recent vacation. :lol:

Edited by PlasticWeapons

I thought I'd posted a picture of this little hellraiser earlier in this thread, but apparently I didn't. I know I posted some pics in a separate thread somewhere when we first got him, though. He was going to be named "Maverick", but we decided he just didn't look like a "Maverick", and that "Buddie" fit him better. He's now 6 months old...we got him when he was about 5 weeks old (way too young to be away from mommy, but it was a rescue situation and we had no choice in the matter). Anyway, this little guy who was 1.5 lb. little ball of fur when he came to us has grown into a 6-month-old, 7.5 lb. monster mutt in what seems like such a short time.

Here's Buddie the night he came into our lives:

000_1438.jpg

And here he is with his two MUCH older adoptive "sisters", (who have pics earlier in this thread somewhere) Ebie (left) and poor blind little Sisie (center):

245.jpg

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Pets, to me, are like music, in that evolutionary science might explain why we originally had them, but hasn't offered a satisfying explanation for why we still do. Dogs protected the camp while we slept, so it was worth throwing scraps to them. They also acted as critical part of the hunting team. Cats may have been helpful in keeping rodent populations at bay in agricultural societies. And yet now, the resources people devote to pets, like music, seems out of proportion to our needs, unless you start to believe what seem to me to be fairly watery explanations about emotional or psychological health. This suggests to me that for some things, such as the human obsession with music and the genuine human affection for these friends of another species, rational inquiry (that is, the scientific method) cannot offer us much by way of explanation, at least not yet. It isn't miracles or paranormal activity that make me sometimes suspect that the spiritual or cosmic is at work in our world; it is rather our everyday behaviors that seemingly defy ruthless, rational calculation. :crying2:

Pets, to me, are like music, in that evolutionary science might explain why we originally had them, but hasn't offered a satisfying explanation for why we still do.

Their not just for doing work for us. If they were just for work, there would be, no need of emotional connection. To some they would be seen as just a tool.

Like your camp thought, one would have to show compassion to give a wolf food in the first place.

Having pets and even adoption is a natural part of the animal world. When it comes to these types of things, cross-species adoption, we are just better at it.

Even Loins and other animals of prey have tried cross-species adoption. Interesting to me is; What makes one prey and the other Lovable emotional, by cross-species adoption and cross-species friendship.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2787842/mothers/

Edited by Wayne S
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...