An MC-130E Combat Talon I

You might post the picture at Herkybirds.com. Perhaps someone might be able to provide more answers. The intake was probably added when it got all of the bumps on the nose and rear fuselage. So that kind of dates the picture to the last 10 years or so. "Guts to Try" might be referring to its participation in the failed but brave Iran Hostage rescue attempt. It was based at Kadena at that time and was one of the MC-130E Rivet Yank. 64-0565.

Best wishes,

Grant

Gents:

It was a MC-130E used as a systems upgrade trails aircraft. I believe for the SOFI or Mod 90 upgrade while it was stationed at Hurlbert Field. "The Guts to Try" is the motto of the 8th SOS and refers to the abortive hostage rescue attempt in 1980.

Would anyone like decals of this aircraft?

Mark

Wolfpak Decals

565 was the first fully Mod-90 Talon I. It was one of the MC-130s involved with Op Eagle Claw and was damaged, hence the Phoenix rising from the ashes.

The motto, "The Guts to Try" comes from a box of beer that the British had sent the Eagle Claw force upon their arrival back at Oman. The Brits had written that on one of the box flaps. The flap was framed and placed in our briefing room, along with several other momentos from operations. The entire quote was "To you all, from us all, for having the guts to try."

Of interest, we had an black 1/48 model of the YMC-130H Credible Sport in the briefing room as well. Shortly after it appeared I asked my Commander what it was, and he said to ask again in a few years. And about two years later, Credible Sport was released to the public.

-S

Cheers guys

And thaks you very much STORM, great "story" :)

It makes the artwork make sense adding that to it, I was considering getting a small tattoo of that artwork [still havent decided on what if anything I will get]

Mark S yes I would be interested in a sheet containing that bird with that artwork on it, it is to be my grey MC-130E model, wether I have to get the decals made up or buy a sheet for it.

Would be great to have another spec ops sheet from you. with some of the camo herc on too as well as this one

IIRC, 565 and 566 (Fulton nosed) were the only two aircraft we got that had that paint on it. It was one of the test schemes AFSOC tried, before flip flopping the colors.

Glad to be of help.

-S

Is that the same scheme as instructed in the AMT AC-130H kit Haydn?

I haven't seen that one John ! I did get the Esci release but it's so long ago I don't remember the instructions although I'm pretty sure that was a long time before the Combat Talons changed from green&black to Euro-1 and then to the two tone grey.

Haydn.