I will be building NSAWC 41 using the hasegawa f-18c kit, wolfpack wing folding kit, and FTD Adversary hornets 2 sheet. I already started the front office a few months ago but I put the breaks on when i heard about this GB. Now I will get the production line up and running again!

Edited by graves_09

A quick up date (sorry no pics yet) I got the fusaloge and intakes glued together. The intakes did not fit that well so i will need some filler around them. The other joints fit together with ease. Next step is to assemble and paint the landing gear and gear bays. Then I can start masking the wheel wells to prime. check back soon, I will post pics after I start painting.

It's ok that there arent any pics yet!

How did you find the fit of the nose with the legacy Hornet kit? I've heard it can be a bit of a bear.

NSAWC Hornets are always attractive, cant wait to see pics!

Jonathan,

I had no problems with the nose fit. the only fit problems i had was around the intakes but a little bit of white putty and Mr surfacer 500 fixed it. even there, the fit was not bad, it was just the tight corners that made sanding and filling a bit tricky.

Update: I got the fuselage primed and ready to go. I mixed 9:1 ratio of radome tan to military brown to get the light brown FS 30279. I am still not exactly sure if it is right. Brian at FTD said he would send me some misprint decals so I could make sure the color matched. For more info about getting this color right see the thread in FTD forum

paint help here. I recommend it for getting this somewhat tricky color right. I also painted the exhaust cans. I think I will try scratch building some exhaust covers since I plan to display this as a parked bird. I saw a cool article few months back where a guy built them with masking tape and dental floss. While I am waiting for the test decals to come in, I will go back to my other project F-14 "topgun" 30 adversary for the Tomcat group build.

Edited by graves_09
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
soooo what is up with this hronet did u finsh it??? how do u mesure a prt as in mixing paint and how did u mix the panit i think your mix looks great on the plane

Hey Catfan,

It is still a WIP, I was on vacation to Hawaii last week so no time for modeling (it was rough I know :jaw-dropping: ), and I am having some other issues with the decals matching the paint. After all the care I took to match the lightest tan, the darkest tan does not match as it should. I am working the Brian at FTD to resolve this problem, so this project may get pushed to the back burner. In the mean time, I will probably pick up the pace on my NSWAC splinter kitty (found in the F-14 GB) and finish detailing the landing gear and other parts.

As for measuring paint, I used a syringe to draw in and measure the volumes I used.

Edited by graves_09

Quick update, while I am waiting for Brian to print the decal insert, I have been detailing the landing gear and I made some exhaust covers for the engines. All the pics I found for this bird had black covers which unfortunately provide little contrast to the mostly black exhaust cans but what can you do? I made the covers using 3M painters tape and CA glue. I got the idea from Rhinolover from this thread. Thanks for sharing :bandhead2:

NSAWChornetupdate003.jpg

NSAWChornetupdate005.jpg

NSAWChornetupdate006.jpg

NSAWChornetupdate009.jpg

NSAWChornetupdate011.jpg

• 1 month later...

@ Charlie Cheetah: Yes, MM international orange.

@Rhinolover: thanks again for posting the idea for the exhaust covers

Here are some more updates. FTD delivered on the inserts to correct the 30140 color miss print. Here is the model after decaling and first gloss coat with future.

NSAWC41update003.jpg

NSAWC41update004.jpg

Opps, looks like the camera auto focused on the wrong thing. Go Gophers!

NSAWC41update005.jpg

NSAWC41update010.jpg

NSAWC41update011.jpg

i also added decal walkways using the kit decals and the stencils provided by FTD. I used a knife to scratch the lines into the kit decals which where solid black. It looks ok from a distance but up close the lines aren't that sharp. I would have painted them on but I couldn't find a good way to lay the mask against the 90 degree edge.

NSAWC41update008.jpg

NSAWC41update009.jpg

Thanks for looking I hope it didn't make you too dizzy. Sorry for the blurry images, my camera isn't too good at closeups.

Edited by graves_09

And my favorite decal:

NSAWC41update006.jpg

NSAWC41update007.jpg

I realized as I was placing the decal that it wasn't centered under the formation light like it should be but I wasn't about to go back in repaint the camo. The effect is still really cool IMO.

Another gloss coat, weathering with promodeler wash, flat coat and final assembly. The end is near!

Edited by graves_09

Looking great! Glad the insert worked out well.

Don't worry too much about matching up the reverse camo decals. I've seen plenty of the real jets where the paint for the NAVY or stencil doesn't match to the paint demarcation line of the actual camo on the jet. I used to think everything had to be precise but the more I look at the real thing, the more rough it really is. Remember, it's a guy with some tape, a mask (maybe) and a can of paint doing much of these markings.

Can't wait to see this one done. I'm thinking the 02 B in the same camo is calling my name...

-brian

Can't wait to see this one done. I'm thinking the 02 B in the same camo is calling my name...

-brian

@ brian, I think that would be sweet too! Are those decals slated for a future release?...

No pictures, but I am 98% done with this one. Most of the final assembly is completed. I have to flat coat and a few minor parts to glue on (pilot tubes, HUD etc) RBF tags to attach. I would have finished it this weekend but I was working on installing gutters all day (the joys of owning a home) Hopefully by tomorrow night!

@catfan: email fightertown decals.

Last night I almost finished. I still have to add the pilot tubes, glue on the canopy and add a few small pieces from the wing fold. For now, here is a preview:

NSAWC41almost004.jpg

NSAWC41almost005.jpg

NSAWC41almost006.jpg

NSAWC41almost007.jpg

NSAWC41almost010.jpg

NSAWC41almost011.jpg

More pics:

NSAWC41almost013.jpg

NSAWC41almost015.jpg

NSAWC41almost016.jpg

NSAWC41almost018.jpg

NSAWC41almost019.jpg

NSAWC41almost020.jpg

To the eye, the flat coating does not look frosted but the camera shows otherwise. I had this problem before with the Polly S Flat Acrylic but I thought I had it licked by using Tamiya thinner to dilute it 1:1 and applying thin coats. I also shook the bottle for about 10 min with BBs inside to help break up any clumps. I read the frosting is caused by the silica particles in the paint clumping together and shaking is the key. Anyone have any suggestions for next time? I would really appreciate comments or advice on what your guys use for flat coating. I have also heard MM dullcoat is good but it yellows over time. This is the second project this has happened to me on and I really don't want to make it a third. :D Other than that, I am really happy with the results. I will post more pics when I have this one finalized.