F-22 Paint job

OK fellas, notwithstanding the outstanding advice of MARK S article on painting the raptor, I still have an issue Id like to bring up for you guys to chew on.

When Ive seen the raptor outside under the sun, the effect to my eye is a pearlized effect and not so much a metallic effect. yet I always hear it described as metallic.

Im thinking this is more than semantics because in trying to emulate the effect, if you paint your model with a thinned silver final coat, the effect will be a full time simulation, as compared to if you used a superfine pearl additive in a clear flat coat, then you would get the real effect.... that is to say it would change depending on light and angle.

to test this, I added aluminum powder to a clear and sprayed on a piece of plywood. nice effect, much like MARK S. but I noticed the effect was full time. Im about to buy some pearl powder, which is mica based and repeat the test. my expectation is that the effect will be light and angle based as is normal for pearl and is normal for the raptor.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

A "pearl additive" would probably give a rainbow effect, which is not what you want. Depending on the way the light hits it, the F-22 either looks matte gray or silver.

Regards,

Murph

A "pearl additive" would probably give a rainbow effect, which is not what you want. Depending on the way the light hits it, the F-22 either looks matte gray or silver.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks Murph. what Ive seen is that the powders come in various colors, so to use a silver powder might prevent that oyster shell rainbow effect. Ill share those results when I get the powder, but I was thinking that this might be something of interest to those who dont want to wait on a "raptor" color from the paint companies.