1/72 B-52G question ..

I have the 1/72 Monogram kit. I was thinking of getting the Airwaves nose update set and the wing tanks to make it into a B-52G from Desert Storm. Can anyone tell me what other kind of changes would be necessary? Or should I just get the Italeri boxing?

Edited by Benner

LOADS of changes besides the nose. You need different engines (not the H turbofans, but the F/G type J57s), the ECM tail extension, and about a zillion antennas.

Don't bother with the AMT/Italeri boxing if you want something vaguely resembling a B-52. Nothing they did does that (except it has nice landing gear).

J

Are you talking about this Airwaves set?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=AES72040

You get the EVS nose, -G engines, and upper part of the tail turret, but you are still a long ways off from a DS B-52G. As Jennings said, there are a ton of antennas and lumps and bumps all over the airframe to add, plus as also noted, the set lacks the Phase VI tail extension. Also, you'll have to shorten the tail, add new ejection hatches for the all 4 of the guys in the back (top and bottom), new canopy, and modify the wing spoilers. Getting the Airwaves conversion and wing tanks only gives you a start with some of the big stuff.

Here is an idea of some of the stuff (you would need both sets) needed to to really convert the Monogram B-52D kit to a late -G, and it's been said that there are still a few things missing, but you are way closer than using the Airwaves set alone.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/..._cec72060.shtml

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/..._cec72062.shtml

Edited by Dave Williams

Ultimately, the best thing would have been to have the Cutting Edge conversions sets for the Monogram kit. Unfortunately, CE is now defunct and if you can find a B-52 set on eBay, you better be prepared to hand over a couple of limbs, your first born child and the deed to your home.

looks like I'm better off just buying the Italeri G. ... wonder if I can kitbash them together.

thanks for the info everyone.

Like I said, give the AMT/Italeri kit a miss if you want B-52 shaped things. Aside from the landing gear (which I robbed and have in safe keeping) there is nothing else about the kit worth having in my estimation. One of the worst 1/72 bomber kits ever made. I literally took the gear out and trashed the rest of it, it was that bad. If you want an accurate B-52G, start with the Monogram kit and use the Airwaves sets and some modeling skill to make your (once in a lifetime, so why not splurge?) masterpiece.

J

Like I said, give the AMT/Italeri kit a miss if you want B-52 shaped things. Aside from the landing gear (which I robbed and have in safe keeping) there is nothing else about the kit worth having in my estimation. One of the worst 1/72 bomber kits ever made. I literally took the gear out and trashed the rest of it, it was that bad. If you want an accurate B-52G, start with the Monogram kit and use the Airwaves sets and some modeling skill to make your (once in a lifetime, so why not splurge?) masterpiece.

J

well, I might take the G parts like the antennas, and the airwaves parts for use on the mono kit.

well, I might take the G parts like the antennas, and the airwaves parts for use on the mono kit.

Unfortunately, the AMT/ERTL kits is missing a lot of antennas and other stuff. There are a few of the larger lumps and bumps, but they are molded into the fuselage instead of being stick-on, as well as being generally crude shapes. I'm not sure that you will get enough of a harvest from your expensive Italeri -G kit to make it worthwhile.

Gotta agree with Dave W on this the CE set was the best start to turn the Monogram D into a G, but there is a lot of work to do even after getting one of those sets [be prepaired to sell body parts for one of those sets though, last one I saw was well into £200 this time last year when I stopped watching the auction]

Myself I would go with the airwaves nose set [to get to correct nose profile shape] on an AMT/Italeri G model, but even then you will end up with a SALT II ALCM bird, unless you swap out the forward fusalage parts from an AMT/Italeri H model kit.

The correct engines can be got from BUFF Master Designs [super Bug Models] but there are many here who would tell you to stay away from them because of a reputation for not delivering on time.

To build a G buy a G, because the work involved in turning the monogram D into a later bird is gargantuant even it you get the CE set there is still a lot of scratch building needed [the expert advisors advising CE on the conversion clearly didnt know as much as they would like to think they know about the G/H models because some rather blatant things were missed]

You can buy the superbug stuff directly from great models, he has wisely decided to stop selling the stuff directly.

I wouldn't bother...I ordered some of his stuff from Great Models, and was disappointed. I had heard rumors of improved parts, but it is very poor quality...at least all the sets I ordered were. It would be easier to scratch new pieces than try to fix/clean-up those sets. But I digress... :)

Myself I would go with the airwaves nose set [to get to correct nose profile shape] on an AMT/Italeri G model, but even then you will end up with a SALT II ALCM bird, unless you swap out the forward fusalage parts from an AMT/Italeri H model kit.

I don't know much about the failings of the AMT kit, but it's that bad that you'd recommend changing the nose with the Airwaves one? uh oh ..

would the in kit pylons (in the AMT kit) be good enough for me using a dumb bomb load?

I don't know much about the failings of the AMT kit, but it's that bad that you'd recommend changing the nose with the Airwaves one? uh oh ..

would the in kit pylons (in the AMT kit) be good enough for me using a dumb bomb load?

Oi, I don't think the pylons in the AMT/Italeri kit are right for a bomb carrying G. You need to get the HSAB or heavy stores adaptor beam, which is really only available as an after market addition.
Oi, I don't think the pylons in the AMT/Italeri kit are right for a bomb carrying G. You need to get the HSAB or heavy stores adaptor beam, which is really only available as an after market addition.

who makes that ?

who makes that ?
I had a set in 1/72 from Golden Dragon Productions, which became Super Bug Models and then Buff Master Design or some such. It was not very good, I think I sold them on eBay. Not sure if they are still part of the current line for Buff Master or whatever they're called now.

What you need are the AGM-28 pylons from an AMT early G model (not the one re-boxed by Italeri currently) and the HSAB beam itself. See this picture. I am not sure who makes it currently, but it doesn't look that hard to do.

No, the kit as is has ALCM pylons, the only stores I know to have been capable were ALCMs and Tomahawks

As it has the SALT II straklets it will need the old Hound Dog pylons/I-Beam [get from a Monogram D or AMT early G] and two MERs to carry stores on [stores included the entire inventory at the time it was retired, as long as it was capable of fitting [eg no Mk83/84]

Edited by ElectroSoldier

You cant fit the stub pylon/HSAB to a G model with straklets.

She wasnt capable of carrying them

I had a set in 1/72 from Golden Dragon Productions, which became Super Bug Models and then Buff Master Design or some such. It was not very good, I think I sold them on eBay. Not sure if they are still part of the current line for Buff Master or whatever they're called now.

What you need are the AGM-28 pylons from an AMT early G model (not the one re-boxed by Italeri currently) and the HSAB beam itself. See this picture. I am not sure who makes it currently, but it doesn't look that hard to do.

The monogram kit already provides that pylon arrangment.

Its one of its saving graces.

In addition I will also say there is a difference between an I-Beam and the HSAB.

The HSAB was used with the Stub pylon [fitted to none SALT II modified G models and H models]

The I-Beam was used with the Hound dog pylon

Edited by ElectroSoldier