Howard Hughes' Lockheed L-14 Super Electra?

What are the 1/72 scale options for building this legendary aviator's 'around the world' flight Super Electra? I once mistakenly bought a Special Hobby Electra because I thought I could use it.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/june/f..._lockheed12.htm

Later I realised this Electra was smaller than the one used by Mr.Hughes.

From this wiki entry,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_14_Super_Electra

it seems the Japanese Tachikawa Type LO "Thelma" was a licensed built version of the Lockheed L-14 Super Electra. If that is the case, I'm thinking of using this kit:

http://www.modelimex.com/detail/fe-resin-c...-type-lo-thelma

Any advice?

:blink: Perhaps this might help. The Lockheed Hudson bomber was a military development of the Lockheed 14 airliner. also coming from this branch of the family was the Lockheed C-60 Lodestar. A mate of mine once converted an Airfix Hudson kit into a Lodestar. The Ventura was also a development of this line. If you're interested in history, the aeroplane that British Prime Minister Necville Chamberlain stepped from to wave his little piece of paper and make his short "Peace in our time" speech was a Lockheed 14. You might like to compare pics of the Model 14, the Hudson, Lodestar and Ventura to see the similarities and differences.

:crying2:,

Ross.

You could civilianize any of the 1/72 Lockheed Hudson kits to do Howard Hughes' Electra. The Airfix and MPM kits have the Cyclone engines and you should replace those with straight cowled Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps. The Italeri kit (a re-boxing of the MPM kit with slight revisions) has the Twin Wasps instead of the Cyclones.

Brett Green's review

Another plus with the Italeri version is it includes the solid nose that Hughes' aircraft used ... one less thing to convert. On my embarrassingly large "to be finished" pile is a Lockheed 14 converted from an Airfix Husdon. Today, I'd go for the Italeri/MPM kits to do it (which I will as I want to do both the Cyclone and P&W engined machines). Love those Lockheed twins!

Gary

THANKS, Gentlemen! Most informative! :)

You could civilianize any of the 1/72 Lockheed Hudson kits to do Howard Hughes' Electra. The Airfix and MPM kits have the Cyclone engines and you should replace those with straight cowled Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps. The Italeri kit (a re-boxing of the MPM kit with slight revisions) has the Twin Wasps instead of the Cyclones.

Brett Green's review

Another plus with the Italeri version is it includes the solid nose that Hughes' aircraft used ... one less thing to convert. On my embarrassingly large "to be finished" pile is a Lockheed 14 converted from an Airfix Husdon. Today, I'd go for the Italeri/MPM kits to do it (which I will as I want to do both the Cyclone and P&W engined machines). Love those Lockheed twins!

Gary

Gary, you're a lifesaver! I've never really shown an interest in the MPM or Italeri kit but now I definitely want the Italeri one (plus it's more readily available in my LHS). Thanks very much for this info. Just one query. You mentioned that you want to do both the Cyclone and P&W engined machines. Did Hughes' aircraft use both? If so, which one did he use for the final record breaking flight? Also, any pictures of this aircraft? Did a long search but I found only one and it looks like I'm going to have to rely on film stills from a documentary DVD I have about Howard Hughes.

Just to confirm: I can straight-up use the Italeri kit with the Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps + solid nose right from the box?

EDIT: Just found some more interesting pictures but none show the top, bottom or the whole fuselage (insignas, logos, etc)

http://www.lakelandgov.net/library/speccol...ghes_pics1.html

I take it the entire aircraft was NMF?

Edited by JackMan
THANKS, Gentlemen! Most informative! :jaw-dropping:

You mentioned that you want to do both the Cyclone and P&W engined machines. Did Hughes' aircraft use both? If so, which one did he use for the final record breaking flight? Also, any pictures of this aircraft? Did a long search but I found only one and it looks like I'm going to have to rely on film stills from a documentary DVD I have about Howard Hughes.

Just to confirm: I can straight-up use the Italeri kit with the Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasps + solid nose right from the box?

I take it the entire aircraft was NMF?

I may has misled you a bit as I want to do a couple of Lockheed 14s, but 2 Canadian aircraft (TCA and Canadian Pacific Airlines) rather than Howard's airplane. These airlines operated both P&W and Wright Cyclone powered machines. I believe the Hughes' airpane was only P&W. I have uploaded a few photos from my references for you here:

L14 pics

I'll leave them there for a few weeks so you can have a look. BTW your nose shot is much more clear. It looks like you can use the Italeri parts right from the box except you may want to add the landing lights in the nose (the kit is totally solid). While I am certainly no expert, it looks like to a/c was natural metal overall.

Gary :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't bought your MPM kit to start the Hughes Electra yet, have a look at this:

Classic Plane Electra

Classic Planes out of Germany have a boxed the MPM kit with Howard Hughes decals. They are pretty much impossible to get direct, but like this one, occasionally turn up on Ebay. Aviation Megastore in Holland also carries their line, but this one isn't listed yet. It might be worth tracking down unless you have the decals covered already .

Gary :cheers:

• 9 months later...

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I'm doing a model of Howard Hughes' around-the-world flyer (NX18973) and I'm looking for some details of the "1939 New York World's Fair" logo, as well as about the aircraft in general.

I had previously found the link referred to in this thread that includes a photo of the nose of this machine, but unfortunately this picture does not clearly show the details of the logo. As best I can determine, the logo had a white sphere and spire incorporated into it, and was in blue, orange and white (and possibly black). This scrap should give a better idea of the elements of the logo:

http://www.virtualwings.org/LOGO.JPG

I'm also interested in the antennas mounted on this aircraft. There was a vertical mast on the upper fuselage just forward of the tailplane, but I can't quite make out where the wire going forward from this mast was anchored. I'm also trying to locate the DF loop (if one was mounted.)

One comment I wanted to make is that the nose of Hughes' aircraft wasn't completely solid. There was a perispex cover over two spotlights in the nose, arranged over-and-under with the larger of the two on top.

Any help would be greatly appreciated........

Paul

• 8 months later...