I did this up a number of years ago, and updated it this afternoon. It doesn't get into specifics about engines (other than as corresponds to a given MDS suffix), and it doesn't - and couldn't - address the myriad configurations seen on test and recce birds. But I believe this family tree shows every MDS ever officially assigned to a member of the C-135 family. You'll probably see a couple in print that were never official (like RC-135R). I've also not included outdated designations such as "C-135B-II" for the RC-135E, since it was never designated thus except on paper before the airplane was modified.

So, without further ado, here ya go! Reading down from the top along the center line are variants built by Boeing and delivered as such to the USAF and French Air Force. The branches off to the side should be read separately. In other words, lateral branches do not represent continuing modifications, only mods from the main branch down the middle. Modifications from those read downward.

I'm completely open to learning of any mistakes, so feel free!

J

C-135FamilyTree.jpg

Edited by Jennings

Thanks Jennings!

Now if I could only figure out which combination of Heller/Airfix/AMT/Italeri KC/RC/EC/NKC-135 and E-3B/D/F would yield me the most accurate of any specific member of said family....... :cheers:

As requested, here's a first crack at the 707 family tree. If anything, this is more confusing in some ways than the C-135 family. The number of one-offs and oddballs is staggering. The Israeli ones in particular are troublesome. I've seen pics of IDFAF 707-420s (Rolls-Royce Conway powered) as tankers and IIRC as "RC-707s", but I can't find much hard data. I also seem to recall seeing an IDF 707-120/120B (short body airplane), but again, I can't find much on it.

This one is definitely a work in progress, so if you have any hard data you can share, please feel free!

J

707FamilyTree.jpg

Now if I could only figure out which combination of Heller/Airfix/AMT/Italeri KC/RC/EC/NKC-135 and E-3B/D/F would yield me the most accurate of any specific member of said family....... :)

First off, there is never any need to combine any Heller/Airfix E-3 Sentry parts with any AMT/Heller/Italeri C-135 parts. Think of them as P-51s and P-47s. They do kind of the same sorts of things, but are totally different airplanes. You wouldn't put a Mustang Malcom hood on a P-47, nor would you put Mustang exhausts on a P-47. Same deal here. Two completely different animals.

If you have questions about a specific variant you're interested in doing, just ask away.. I'll do anything I can to clear it up, or will help you find someone who can.

J

IMHO, you've got to include the 720. Something like "720 to 720B, leads to 707-120B". Modeling-wise, a 707-120B is more like a stretched 720B than a modified -120, based on just how many 720 parts were added on. (kind of like an A300-600R is half A310 parts---practically a stretched A310 rather than an A300)

Plus, I *always* differentiate between -320B and -320BAdv. (and when necessary, between early and late -320BAdv)

PS---you've got VC-137B twice. The bottom one (derived from the -320B) should be VC-137C.

707-120: VC-137A

707-120B: VC-137B

707-320B: SAM 26000 as built (VC-137)

707-320BAdv: SAM 26000 later, and SAM 27000 as built (VC-137)

SAM 26000 is AFAIK the only 707-320B converted to 707-320BAdv standard.

PPS---personally, I'd split the tree left/right, to have the 720/-120 etc on one side, and the -320/420 on the other. The -320 and its ilk did not "descend" from the others at all really---it is the second-oldest of all variants.

Edited by David Hingtgen
As requested, here's a first crack at the 707 family tree. If anything, this is more confusing in some ways than the C-135 family. The number of one-offs and oddballs is staggering. The Israeli ones in particular are troublesome. I've seen pics of IDFAF 707-420s (Rolls-Royce Conway powered) as tankers and IIRC as "RC-707s", but I can't find much hard data. I also seem to recall seeing an IDF 707-120/120B (short body airplane), but again, I can't find much on it.

This one is definitely a work in progress, so if you have any hard data you can share, please feel free!

J

707FamilyTree.jpg

Yes. Under "E-6A" you can add E-6B, the "Looking Glass" version of the TACAMO bird.

Yes. Under "E-6A" you can add E-6B, the "Looking Glass" version of the TACAMO bird.

Never mind, already there!! I'm guess that has got to be it for this airframe. When I first went to E-6s, I thought they were refurbished -135s of some varient, but soon learned they were in fact built as E-6As and under the skin resembled little of the -135/E-3 family. There is a photo out there of the original -80 parked next to an E-6...both ends of the spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone knows what parts contain the NKC-135 kit?

I mean if it contains basic KC parts,or they were taken out?

Isaac

The kit has the large horizontal stabilizers, the boomers station and part of the boom. It doesn't include the wings and the refueling tube extension for the boom.

You could make the wings for the boom from sheet styrene and the fuel tube extension could be made from scrap sprue.

I imagine you could make a KC-135A from the NKC-135 kit.

• 3 weeks later...

These two diagram are most helpful for the novices like me. From what I am reading, to make the JSTARS I need to get the Heller/Airfix 707/E-3D as a starting point rather than the EC-135 kit that I have bought.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

It's okay. The big blade antennas for the RC are completely inappropriate for PE, since the real things are very hefty. The ones in the AMT RC-135 kit are very nice, and there is zero need for replacement. Anything on the inside of the cockpit will be virtually invisible on a finished model, so I wouldn't bother.

J

IMHO, you've got to include the 720. Something like "720 to 720B, leads to 707-120B". Modeling-wise, a 707-120B is more like a stretched 720B than a modified -120, based on just how many 720 parts were added on. (kind of like an A300-600R is half A310 parts---practically a stretched A310 rather than an A300)

Not at all. The 720 is only a cousin to the 707 (much like the KC-135 is). It's a totally separate design, not an offshoot of something, unless you want to go back to the Dash-80. The 720 had lighter structure, different alloys, and smaller wheels and tires (for starters). The 707-120 and -120B were often the exact same airframe modified with JT3Ds. Some were built as -120Bs, but most were converted when the JT3D became available.

J

• 3 weeks later...

The USAF purchased a large number of retired 707s in the early 1980s. They were used for engines, pylons, an horizontal stabilizers in the KC-135E tanker re-engining program. The remains of a few of them are still languishing in the scrap yards near Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson, Arizona.

J

The RTs are former RC/EC-135s that have been converted back to full up KC-135s. Looking closely at one, you can see many of the patches and sheeting that covers the holes and antenna from the prior mission.

The last eight are:

58-0011 (ex EC)

58-0018 (ex EC)

58-0124 (ex RC)

58-0126 (ex Recce/KC)

60-0356 (ex RC)

60-0357 (ex RC)

60-0362 (ex RC)

61-0293 (ex EC)

-Storm

The RTs are former RC/EC-135s that have been converted back to full up KC-135s. Looking closely at one, you can see many of the patches and sheeting that covers the holes and antenna from the prior mission.

The last eight are:

58-0011 (ex EC)

58-0018 (ex EC)

58-0124 (ex RC)

58-0126 (ex Recce/KC)

60-0356 (ex RC)

60-0357 (ex RC)

60-0362 (ex RC)

61-0293 (ex EC)

-Storm

Cheers for that STORM.

I know what they were, I was wondering where they fall in the tree, because they come from different models [EC's and RC's]

Edited by ElectroSoldier