Thanks for posting this tree Jennings!!! :) :worship: I bought an NKC-135 for very cheap and build it some day. I wonder which version of the 135 was having an sun like motiv on the side of the fuselage?? Can either be left or right.

I found NKC-135 from AMT

and paint it grey over white as I like (understatement) those colours.

I wonder which version of the 135 was having an sun like motif on the side of the fuselage?? Can either be left or right.

There have been several a/c that were painted like that at various times.

J

Cut 20 inches out of the front halfl and it will be "closer" to being a KC-135 model.

Don't forget to sand the sewer lids off the bottom of the wing.

Long ago I think there was a papaer magazine artilce by the great Alwyn Lloyd of the Boeing company on what needs to be cut where on the Revel kit to make it somewhat more accurate.

Edited by majortomski
So can the Revell 1/144th scale kit be used for anything?

Absolutely it can. It's a very accurate 707-120/120B out of the box. It can be chopped into a fairly good KC-135 with some work as well.

J

Absolutely it can. It's a very accurate 707-120/120B out of the box. It can be chopped into a fairly good KC-135 with some work as well.

J

I'll hang onto the E3 boxing then, just in case the rumoured RAF RC-135 Rivet Joints actually turn up. And source some CFM56s

20 inches Tom? The fuselage is only about 10 long as it is.... :crying2::banana::woot.gif::whistle:

It may be a moot point. There is at least one ongoing project to (at long, long last) bring us an accurate 1/144 KC-135, including one with CFM engines.

J

Jennings,

Do you mind if I ask you a question in your area of expertise? I have the Italeri 1/72 scale KC-135R. I also have the Heller 1/72 E-3 Sentry that I'm using as a base for the PACAF/CC bird at Hickam AFB Hawaii. Please look at the picture below and tell me if the size of the airframes is anywhere close to accurate. I know it's not a very good photo, but the Heller E-3 is a lot larger than the KC-135R, I was wondering if the scale might be off on one or the other. Or, Is there really that much difference in the length and size of the airframes?

Kc-135EKC-135R.jpg

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul

Paul,

The KC-135 and the 707 are two different airframes, despite most people's thoughts. The fuselage length and wing span/chord are just a couple of the most obvious.

Your two models are accurate.

Hope it helps.

-JS

Paul,

The KC-135 and the 707 are two different airframes, despite most people's thoughts. The fuselage length and wing span/chord are just a couple of the most obvious.

Your two models are accurate.

Hope it helps.

-JS

Thanks Storm,

It helps a lot to verify the very obvious differences in the airframes from the experts.

Thanks,

Paul

That's true - partially. They are definitely two different airplanes. They're more like first cousins than brothers. The wing of the C-135 series and the 707-120 are externally identical. The Revell kit is a -120, so the wing can be used on a 135.

J

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 7 years later...