WWII Carrier War GB

Greetings all! The Birth of Carrier War GB has been approved by the ARC mods and will take place April 1, 2009 through September 30, 2009. Your mods will be myself, thom and Patrick Nevin. Rules will be pretty simple: Plane has to have taken off or landed from a carrier at some time during WWII. Please can be any kit, any scale, with any aftermarket, scratchbuilding, even entirely scratchbuilt. As long as the plane is less than half done, it is eligible, but the spirit of the GB is to build together, so the less complete the better. If there are prize donations we will do a raffle drawing at the end of the GB with each person who completes at least one build during the GB period being entered into the drawing. Well, that about covers the basics. Any questions? comments? thought on what you will build?

Edited by jrallman

Hoo boy! Half the stash is WW II USN! However, I've been oogling 3 Hobby Boss 1/48 F4F-3s and a Sword FM-2 that are in there and if time (and opportunity) permits I'll tackle all four. I can even do the FM-2 in Atlantic colors just to cover both fronts :rofl:

Ken

It has to be WWII as those pre-war planes, while carrier based, did not participate in carrier warfare. this GB focusses on the first time that carrier based planes and actual fighting were finally combined. that being said, I may do a Dolittle Raider, just to be a little different. Or maybe and Atlantic FAA Tarpon

mbittner wrote:

Does it have to be WW2? I would like to build a very early F4F-3 as done on the Starfighter sheet...

jrallman wrote:

It has to be WWII as those pre-war planes, while carrier based, did not participate in carrier warfare. this GB focusses on the first time that carrier based planes and actual fighting were finally combined.

But, I thought the time period was 1 Sep 39 -> VJ-day (see original thread). So US "pre-war" aircraft would be eligible if they were carrier-based from 1 Sep 39 on ? What about Neutrality patrols & etc ?

Just looking for clarification ...

Edited by jRatz

It may be just the way I read "Birth of Carrier War GB", but this title strongly implies the early years of carrier aviation and not the WWII years.

If you don't wish to include Yellow Wing or earlier era aircraft, perhaps a new title would be appropriate.

Not that this is any importance to me as the subject doesn't have any appeal. Just sayin'.

I dunno-it's Birth of (the?) Carrier War (Warfare?), which must imply wartime. But I do see a gray area here. That -3 in pre-war Yellow Wings just might've participated in the early raids and/or at Coral Sea later...

I love it when these "themed" GBs get mired in definitions... <_<

Ken

Would an aircraft count if it was intended for use on a carrier but wasn't actually in service on carriers before the end of the war. I'm specifically thinking F7F Tigercat but I'm sure there are others in a similar situation, in service but not flying off carriers operationally.

Sorry, I forgot that we had the issue of different countries starting WWII at different times during the Inter-War GB., During WWII means that the country that the plane is flying for was involved in combat. The focus of this GB is not on the start of carrier aviation, but the start of carrier warfare. The cool yellow wings planes etc were just recently covered in the Inter-War GB. If you want to do one of those again, we can put it back in the que for a tier 2 build again, but this build is WWII only. As the rule states, the plane must have taken off from or landed on a carrier during WWII, and I will now clarify that to mean when the country that the plane is flying for entered WWII. Yellow wings are not part of this GB. Those P-47s are in, F7F is out. Don't try to interpret the implications of the title too much, it was just something snappy that fit and sounded better than Aircraft taking off or landing from a Carrier sometime during that country's military involvement in the second world war. That just seemed like a bit of a mouthful. So, are the inclusion criteria clear now? Any other questions I can field?

Wow, ANOTHER cool group build. I won't have any entries as I have too much on my plate as it is.

Remember the "Enterprise" group build is coming up in October for anyone whose build might not fit into the WW2 category.

Enterprise will be any carrier, or ship (even fictional where no one has gone before) or aircraft or shuttlecraft that flew off anything named Enterprise in the past (and future) 400 years or so.

Sorry, I forgot that we had the issue of different countries starting WWII at different times during the Inter-War GB., During WWII means that the country that the plane is flying for was involved in combat. The focus of this GB is not on the start of carrier aviation, but the start of carrier warfare. The cool yellow wings planes etc were just recently covered in the Inter-War GB. If you want to do one of those again, we can put it back in the que for a tier 2 build again, but this build is WWII only. As the rule states, the plane must have taken off from or landed on a carrier during WWII, and I will now clarify that to mean when the country that the plane is flying for entered WWII. Yellow wings are not part of this GB. Those P-47s are in, F7F is out. Don't try to interpret the implications of the title too much, it was just something snappy that fit and sounded better than Aircraft taking off or landing from a Carrier sometime during that country's military involvement in the second world war. That just seemed like a bit of a mouthful. So, are the inclusion criteria clear now? Any other questions I can field?

So that means i can't build a swordfish??

OK, so if I can come up with a set of marking from this:

Thunderbolts Launching From Carrier in WWII

Is a P-47D in?

This would not be my only build, plan on at least one US or Japanese Navy WWII aircraft in 1/72 from me.

God Bless,

Ken

Aircraft carriers are all about projecting power. The ability to ferry aircraft anywhere in the world is an enormous advantage. Your P-47s, RAF deployments to Malta, and numerous other instances where planes were moved quickly to a theatre of operations while avoiding transits through denied areas were an important demonstration of the operational flexibility provided by aircraft carriers. I should think that these operations should be represented. Just my opinion...BB :coolio:

Aircraft carriers are all about projecting power. The ability to ferry aircraft anywhere in the world is an enormous advantage. Your P-47s, RAF deployments to Malta, and numerous other instances where planes were moved quickly to a theatre of operations while avoiding transits through denied areas were an important demonstration of the operational flexibility provided by aircraft carriers. I should think that these operations should be represented. Just my opinion...BB :cheers:

They are certainly eligible, so pick one that you like and join the GB!

The name is just a name, it doesnt define the scope of the GB, thats what the rules are for. This GB is for planes that took off from or landed on a carrier during WWII. The reason that no earlier time period is used is twofold. One, this is a tier 1 GB focussed on WWII exclusively. Two, while planes took off and landed on carriers before WWII, and a few planes even took off an landed on ships in WWI (though not really carriers by todays standards, see not below) actual Carrier Warfare did not exist until WWII. WWII was the first time that naval battles, especially in the Pacific, shifted from large capital ships being the dominant and most important part of a naval armada to carriers being the dominant and most important ships. So, this GB is for planes that took off or landed on a carrier during WWII. If Birth of Carrier War doesnt cut it for you, what would? Personally, it doesnt matter to be because the GB name doesnt have any weight with the rule and even if it did, WWII was the birth of carrier war. before that, naval warfare was completely different.

As a quick note on WWI carriers, none were carriers as we define them today. The HMS Argus was the first ship to be converted to have a full length flat deck completed in 1918. The first ship laid down as a purpose built carrier was the HMS Hermes, launched in 1919. The first purpose built carrier to be commissioned was the Japanese Hōshō which was commissioned in 1921. Any ships prior to these would not be considered carriers as we know them.

Edited by jrallman