Agressors F-14A NSAWC - F-15DJ in 1/32

Ill slowly build this on the side. I have test fitted some parts and most areas of the fuselage make a revell 1/48 tomcat look like paradise.

It will be mostly out of the box might have a few scratch bits here and there. I have the decals from the fightertown decals adversary bad cats. not sure which one to make but im steering towards making that flanker blue one NSAWC 10 because its a bitsa, and i like bitsas especially on jets. I like the desert one but it would ruin the shape of the tomcat too much i think and color matching to the decals would be more difficult.

Edited by benjo

i solved the tamiya decal problem by sticking the decals to plastic card and cut them out to add some 3d to it all, no perfect but a quick fix.

it will be canopy closed anyway.

f14ansc10.jpg

benny

Edited by benjo
i solved the tamiya decal problem by sticking the decals to plastic card and cut them out to add some 3d to it all, to perfect but a quick fix.

it will be canopy closed anyway.

f14ansc10.jpg

benny

Great tip Benny.

Looking forward to see more

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

• 2 weeks later...

OKay, building this bug tomcat is anything but paradise! but it should look like paradise after i put a whole tube of filler on it! I have been using the new Tamiya Light curing putty, but it has been bad weather here all week and havnt had any sunlight and modelmaking at the same time.

So i have been building this 1/32 Revell F-15 Strike eagle kit. THe kit should look really good its going together VERY WELL unlike the tamiya tomcat.

But, What am i going to make. I was going to make an F-15DJ agressor, Blue wings n tails or green wings n tails. But i looked deeper into the exhausts (i know not much about F-15s) and my kit has the wrong exhausts. It seems not many two seaters use the petals on the exhausts. and i got the petal one... well as far as i can see, none of the Japanese ones do anyway. A shame, since these exhausts would look pretty good painted up. I was kind of hoping they were omitted SOMETIMES, but it seems theyre never fitted. An F-15 nuts out there who know about this phenomenon??? Tomcats never ran with the petals omitted.

An F-15 Active may be on the cards, as that was an F-15D by the looks of it. The exhuasts on that will be a daunting task, i just want to make sure my 1/32 F-15 eagle is special as i am not likely to make any more of em.

Benny

Hi, Benny.

The petals have been left off most F-15's since the late 1970's.

The Israeli F-15I is an exception in being a modern F-15 with the petals fitted.

I'm not sure about the South Korean and Singaporean latest models.

Anyway, for these three export models, you'd practically have to make Strike Eagle out of it.

Cheers, Stefan.

AH well, I am carrying on with the F-15DJ wrong exhausts or not. One day if i can get some ill break em off and change em, in the meantime i have decided to get over it ive wanted to make a japanese F-15 for ages!

Anyway, heres the progress so far.

f14a132019.jpg

Benny

AH well, I am carrying on with the F-15DJ wrong exhausts or not. One day if i can get some ill break em off and change em, in the meantime i have decided to get over it ive wanted to make a japanese F-15 for ages!

Hi, Benny.

Good choice. Apart from the fact that I'm all for building what the builder likes, 1/32 aftermarket decals for a 1970's USAF F-15B/D are not exactly in generous supply.

Cheers, Stefan.

The styrene sheet in between the wings and the fuselage fairing is that as the wings move back and forth, the whole area above the wings pivots up and down ever so slightly to cater for the changing thickness of the wings as they move right? furthermore, there are kind of tile like sections at the border of this fuselage fairing that look like theyre spring loaded to 'seal' the fairing to the wings. As the wing sweeps back, the WHITE area is kind of a scraper which must be there to make sure that the tiles just slide over the wing trailing edge instead of jamming as they will always be naturally pushing down. this makes the gap between the fuselage anf the wing kind of like a perfect 'seal' together with the inflatable bag area which would be underneath the wings and is usually resembled by a slightly different colored area.... WHew i said it! just another part of the tomcat that not many people think about... so comlicated, they were a special machine even by today's standards.

I havnt seen any model of an F-14 replicate this so i always add it myself as its an easy upgrade. If you like F-14s, its easy to do, you just put a peice of styrene in there, trace around the fairing with a black marker and cut along the line. make sure the marker is thick so when you follow the line you cut it so enough of the styrene can just poke through. .... cool eh?

And, i cant agree with you more on that one mate, i like a modeller who just makes what they like, I wish i could be more like that. and im trying to be! if i try my best it may even turn out convicing enough for people not to worry about it.

Benny

Edited by benjo
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, ive had some inspiration to carry on with this!

Those are awesome decals and will be using more. I think that i will be building the desert camo one next.

I just want to put the topgun label on an F-14 and didnt get the chance with this one.

I have more pics. I have started the wash, touchups, detail painting. Its getting there.. the end is forseeable!

nsawc10003.jpg

nsawc10001.jpg

nsawc10002.jpg

The most difficult part of this one is that this jet wasnt very shabby and in the refereces seemed to always look good. i had to redo some of the splinter scheme as i made it too shabby in places. One of the hardest things is RE-MASKING the splinter scheme, its 10X harder than making it in the first place.

Benny

The splinter looks great :salute: , but may I ask why you painted the exhaust cans blue/gray? I have never seen this on a real jet before, was this something new or is it just your artistic license? Either way it is your build do as you please, I was just curious about the rational.

The splinter looks great :( , but may I ask why you painted the exhaust cans blue/gray? I have never seen this on a real jet before, was this something new or is it just your artistic license? Either way it is your build do as you please, I was just curious about the rational.

Ah, thats because they werent painted yet!

they still need a lot more work but heres the progress.

nsawc10008.jpg

Benny