Academy updating thier 48th Eagles

I also see a data-link pod. Wonder what it is for.

The Data Link Pod is the AN/AWW-13 and used for "man-in-the-loop" control of the AGM-84E,H, & K SLAM-ER. This pod is also used on the F/A-18 Legacy Hornets (not on Supers yet - right Joe?) and the S-3 Viking. I hope they do correct the airframe issues as I'd like to get one of these to rob the pod and missiles and maybe build the Eagle as I only have the Revell kit right now.

The Data Link Pod is the AN/AWW-13 and used for "man-in-the-loop" control of the AGM-84E,H, & K SLAM-ER. This pod is also used on the F/A-18 Legacy Hornets (not on Supers yet - right Joe?) and the S-3 Viking. I hope they do correct the airframe issues as I'd like to get one of these to rob the pod and missiles and maybe build the Eagle as I only have the Revell kit right now.

P-3s too

Hmm...I wonder if the Slam-Eagle parts could be cross-kitted to the Revell Beagle to make an accurate Slam-Eagle?

Just a thought...

Gonna be a pretty expensive conversion though, even with the weapons and decals. And the Acad "E" doesn't come with the single-seat 'pit either. Though, you can add the 'down' intakes to the Revell kit. But you still have alot of decent plastic leftover.

Why would it and why would anyone think it would? Its an E. That says it all.

Just saying, if people buy the Acad F-15K to add the bits to a Revell Eagle it's an expensive and wasteful conversion, and the Acad F-15 is decent, and the lack of the single-seat pit like the C/D release would hamper the usability if the leftover base kit.

I wouldn't complain per se if they continued to release a "D" in "E" clothing. Frankly I buy the Academy "E" for "D"s and "Bs" with extras: JASDF aggressor birds and even an Air Superiority blue bird. What I'll complain about is if with these new boxings they crank the price up and phase out the older, cheaper kits. I suppose the new weapons are some consolation,, but then we'll have (another) overpriced not-really-an-E to compete with Revell's excellent yes-it's-really-an-E, and our supply of cheap "Ds" will dry up! Now that's progress. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fishwelding
I wouldn't complain per se if they continued to release a "D" in "E" clothing. Frankly I buy the Academy "E" for "D"s and "Bs" with extras: JASDF aggressor birds and even an Air Superiority blue bird. What I'll complain about is if with these new boxings they crank the price up and phase out the older, cheaper kits. I suppose the new weapons are some consolation,, but then we'll have (another) overpriced not-really-an-E to compete with Revell's excellent yes-it's-really-an-E, and our supply of cheap "Ds" will dry up! Now that's progress. :rolleyes:

Well, Academy still sells two grades of their 1:48 F-16s and F-14s, and currently they have C/D and E F-15s kits. I think the C/D will stick around wile the E gets replaced.

If its just the old tooling with extra K specific bits, you could take the new stuff to make the ultimate 'K', and build the remaining Academy kit as a D (which is what its best for). The difficulty would be if they modified some of the existing tooling which takes it away from being the semi-accurate D model kit that it already is, to somewhere closer to a K, but still not close enough to be better than the Revell with K bits added :cheers:

I think I need a lie down :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
On those pics the upper fuselage was certainly not re-tooled - it looks just like it was in Academy old F-15E kit...

Even so!!!!! B)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [rocking in my office chair like a crazy person yelling the following while slobbering al over my mouse] YAAAAWHEEEE!! B)

Lucky for me I have enough Academy F15D/E's to build four D's

Can never have enough Eagles :coolio:

On the K deal, how much is, visually different on them, other then the Pods? If the Market is there, I am surprised Resin is not out there yet.

Can never have enough Eagles :coolio:

On the K deal, how much is, visually different on them, other then the Pods? If the Market is there, I am surprised Resin is not out there yet.

Wolfpack Designs did release a F-15K conversion for the Revell kit. It has been discontinued already though.

Mark

To say buying the Academy F-15K kit to use the parts to add to the Revell kit would be more expensive would only apply to certain people. If you live in the U.S. or somewhere where your hobby stores carry Wolfpack or other AM sets or you can order them from Sprue Brothers for a good price and shipping because you are in the same country as the supplier, then I agree buying the F-15K to add to the Revell kit would be expensive and better off to buy the Wolfpack set. But, for others like myself who live in Canada and no stores carry Wolkpack sets for me to order online through Sprue Brothers or someone else who are based outside of Canada with the price/tax/shipping etc it would cheaper for me to just buy the Academy F-15K from my local hobby store and add the applicable parts to my already owned Revell F-15E kit. Buying the Academy kit would be like me buying an AM set but the bonus part is I will also get weapons with Academy kit to add to my Revell kit so it is a way better bang for my buck!