Academy updating thier 48th Eagles

No, I view the whole "courtship" thing as a complete and willing surrender of one's dignity and common sense for mere reproduction and 'emotional gratification'. From what I've observed from my compatriots in HS and college, it just isn't worth the time, effort, and especially, monetary resources.

CaptJ2.jpg

Sorry, I digress.

AWE-Concept-Art-5-web.jpg

Anyway, this seriously looks like the second-best 1:48 kit Academy has out right now. (Must I ask what #1 is?) Now if they'd just adjust the molding on thier Bombcat and stick in some F-110s...;)

But seriously, what'll be in the USAF bird? If Academy went to the trouble to tool weapons for the Slam-Eagle, maybe they'll do such things as the GBU-15, 28,and 39 for this kit (in Over-G one could put SDB's on the Strike Eagle on four-bomb pallets, for sixteen altogether). It'd be really nice to see those. If, for the USAF kit we see a warmed-over original Beagle I'm going to...buy a Slam-Eagle and carve off the Tiger-Eye.

All in all...when the heck are we going to see this kit!!??

I would like to see them put that much effort into it as well, but I think you'll see more of what we see here. JDAMS, AIM-9X, AIM-120, with added GBU-12s, maybe the overly done GBU-24, and maybe some updated CBUs. Other than that, not holding my breath. They've pulled the stops on the F-15K because its one for the hometown team. Academy is based in Korea, its only natural for them to jump on the bandwagon like Hasegawa already did with the F2 and the Japanese weapons sets.

As for the Academy F-14 ... the nose of the thing needs to go on a serious diet. Don't expect too much on that front! It would be easier for them to start from scratch.

Edited by Fuji

What Academy REALLY needs to do is release the Strike Eagle with all these new weapons, PLUS the "with weapons" sprues from the F-15E "with weapons" kit. That had a dozen nice Mk.82's, a dozen Rockeyes, Paveway I GBU-12's (pretty much useless,) and an ASAT missile (completely useless.) I'd buy that kit just for the bombs. OR, release a stinkin' weapons set! Academy has some nice weapon molds (especially in their new kits,) and they'd be really welcome to the modeling community.

CaptJ2.jpg

I certainly hope not. Lemme check...nope, no eunuch.

I would like to see them put that much effort into it as well, but I think you'll see more of what we see here. JDAMS, AIM-9X, AIM-120, with added GBU-12s, maybe the overly done GBU-24, and maybe some updated CBUs. Other than that, not holding my breath. They've pulled the stops on the F-15K because its one for the hometown team. Academy is based in Korea, its only natural for them to jump on the bandwagon like Hasegawa already did with the F2 and the Japanese weapons sets.

As for the Academy F-14 ... the nose of the thing needs to go on a serious diet. Don't expect too much on that front! It would be easier for them to start from scratch.

I know Academy's in Korea, and even if it's a bit biased a production decision, it's still an awesome looking kit. Even if the weapons loadout for the re-done F-15 isn't as impressive as hoped it'll still be excellent.

And the F-14 nose thing doesn't bother me. It's kinda like the Kinetic nose issue, I almost think it looks better.

i've got a new wordplay for academy : "agdmoney" -a good value for money kit, what you pay is what you get, and it isn't too bad either and is a budgetable affordable price that won't have the wife/mother/interior minister for finance nagging away.

i read on wikipedia that the saudis signed a deal for 72 GE f-110 engines, so does that mean GE strike eagles are now found in the f-15 k, sg and the S version? (i've googled f-15S but they show pw nozzles) its just good if i can use this academy kit and spray it in another colour other than dark gunship grey (yawns)

Edited by Tomcat RIO
The build up looked that way to me as well at first, but look closer at where the speed break ends, close to the beginning of the nacelles. Also, the upper fuselage sprue picture shoes that it still has the exaggerated and overdefined nacelles.

z111.jpg

Net Photo

i read on wikipedia that the saudis signed a deal for 72 GE f-110 engines, so does that mean GE strike eagles are now found in the f-15 k, sg and the S version? (i've googled f-15S but they show pw nozzles) its just good if i can use this academy kit and spray it in another colour other than dark gunship grey (yawns)

The Saudis F-15S indeed has (were delivered with) P&W engines, just like the USAF Es. The ROKAF F-15K Slam Eagle was the first production strike eagle variant to use the GE engine, then followed by Singapore..Hadn't heard about a Saudi GE engine deal. I can't imagine that going from P&Ws to GEs is exactly a 'drop-in' fix. That is going to be some conversion if they are in fact upgrading their -S models to be GE powered. If that is the case, how ironic is it that South Korea's follow-on order of Slam Eagles are going to switch away from GE engines and over to P&Ws. (According to the Boeing site). Boeing threw in an extra aircraft in order for the ROKAF to take the deal. Seems like a step backward to me, and will make modeling Slam Eagles just that much more tricky from an accuracy standpoint. And then there's the whole feathered/unfeathered bit with the P&Ws. My guess is that they'll use the -229s with the CF feathers, much like the Israeli Ra'am F-15Is. Sheesh. These birds are getting to be more and more like F-16 blocks & variants...

Uuuuhhhhh! Uuuuuhhh! [rocking back and forth n my office chair agonizing over a decision] It's on ebay now and I can buy it right now but I want to wait until the LHS gets it...but I want that glorious Eagle now! [whhhhhiiiinnnnne!]

B)

So anyway, it's being distributed in S.Korea now, how long until we see it stateside in the LHS? Additionally, what'ya'll think the sticker will be? I'm guessing $30-$40.

Uuuuhhhhh! Uuuuuhhh! [rocking back and forth n my office chair agonizing over a decision] It's on ebay now and I can buy it right now but I want to wait until the LHS gets it...but I want that glorious Eagle now! [whhhhhiiiinnnnne!]

<_<

Vexed.jpg

Keith, the sprue shots with the fuselage look that way to me as well - the same - but a bit hard to tell in photos

And see, I had to drag out an Academy kit for comparison, but you've probably built enough Academy kits and have been around enough Eagles that you did it all by memory.

The addition of the GPS dome clearly indicates that some sort of change was made to that sprue. Hopefully, they changed something with the nacelles that you and I could not notice in photos.

:huh:

So anyway, it's being distributed in S.Korea now, how long until we see it stateside in the LHS? Additionally, what'ya'll think the sticker will be? I'm guessing $30-$40.

I'd guess probably closer to $50-$60. If I get one, it will be a parts donor. The built up pics I've seen online still show it have the fubared upper engine bulges.

I'd get one for $30 off of ebay. That way it is basically a decal & parts donor to a Revell kit already in my stash. Maybe I'll use the Franken-Eagle kit parts as a paint test bed.

If you're not a stickler for every little detail, and not giving it to anyone or building on commission; its a keeper. From a distance (stand-off) and not too up close and personal....and I'm gonna get one IF it's not a mortgage payment. I can overlook some minor mistakes....as long as it goes together good and you don't end up spending days correcting physical flaws like filling gaps and doing alignment.

I'd get one for $30 off of ebay. That way it is basically a decal & parts donor to a Revell kit already in my stash. Maybe I'll use the Franken-Eagle kit parts as a paint test bed.

Has anyone tried to see if the GE engines from either the Hasegawa/Tamiya/Revell F-16s, Hasegawa/RM Tomcat, or an aftermarket set from Shull24 or Dr P would fit the Revell F-15E kit? It would be robbing the spares box, and you wouldn't get the extra ordinance the Academy kit provides, but it is an alternative.

Don't know if I'll ever build a F-15K, but I have the Wolfpack decals just in case. Link

And see, I had to drag out an Academy kit for comparison, but you've probably built enough Academy kits and have been around enough Eagles that you did it all by memory.

The addition of the GPS dome clearly indicates that some sort of change was made to that sprue. Hopefully, they changed something with the nacelles that you and I could not notice in photos.

actually, I didn't even notice the GPS dome on the shot of the sprues! I did a more thorough look this time, and note how the tail hook extension is still there (but not on the built model) and the 2 fuselage booms are still pointed, but have the round antennae on the built kit. So, if they built the shown model with the sprue examples, those mods require some cutting. Not a big deal, but I do wonder about all the changes to the upper fuselage. I was really trying to look and see if they did their built up with the Revell F-15E kit

Yep, dual mode JDAM. The sensors are pretty cool. They had them cut open and displayed at the AFA Symposium last year.

I visited the factory where the seeker heads are manufactured - lots of ladies sliding chips into machined aluminium cones . Cool . Laser JDAM .

actually, I didn't even notice the GPS dome on the shot of the sprues! I did a more thorough look this time, and note how the tail hook extension is still there (but not on the built model) and the 2 fuselage booms are still pointed, but have the round antennae on the built kit. So, if they built the shown model with the sprue examples, those mods require some cutting. Not a big deal, but I do wonder about all the changes to the upper fuselage. I was really trying to look and see if they did their built up with the Revell F-15E kit

Note that they've got a replacement tail hook and stingers on the new sprues. (sprue J, towards the middle) So yeah, a bit of cutting, though nothing serious. They did add the GPS dome, but the bulges look the same. Here's a shot of the Revell kit for comparison: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/may/fi...e_parts1-lg.jpg

And no, the build on MMZ isn't the Revell kit. Compare the top-down shot with the Revell sprue - still has the funky, blimp-shaped engine bulges, still lacking the vents between said bulges, a bunch of panel line inaccuracies, etc. etc. :) Shame.

Depending on the price, it will still be worth snagging as a conversion set for the Revell kit, but I can't really see why anyone in North America would buy the Academy E over the (readily available, and cheap, and accurate, and detailed) Revell kit. Actually, I can't help but wonder if Academy would get better sales if they just boxed up the two new sprues, instead of flogging their old Eagle along with it.