Academy updating thier 48th Eagles

Actually, I can't help but wonder if Academy would get better sales if they just boxed up the two new sprues, instead of flogging their old Eagle along with it.

I'd do that in a heart beat!

Depending on the price, it will still be worth snagging as a conversion set for the Revell kit, but I can't really see why anyone in North America would buy the Academy E over the (readily available, and cheap, and accurate, and detailed) Revell kit. Actually, I can't help but wonder if Academy would get better sales if they just boxed up the two new sprues, instead of flogging their old Eagle along with it.

Yeah looks like updated the D and chucked the spurs in with it. Even with the dome the the vents etc are still a D model.

EDIT; what is with all these companies having the intake air dump doors semi open :)

Edited by Wayne S
Note that they've got a replacement tail hook and stingers on the new sprues. (sprue J, towards the middle) So yeah, a bit of cutting, though nothing serious. They did add the GPS dome, but the bulges look the same. Here's a shot of the Revell kit for comparison: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/may/fi...e_parts1-lg.jpg

And no, the build on MMZ isn't the Revell kit. Compare the top-down shot with the Revell sprue - still has the funky, blimp-shaped engine bulges, still lacking the vents between said bulges, a bunch of panel line inaccuracies, etc. etc. :) Shame.

Depending on the price, it will still be worth snagging as a conversion set for the Revell kit, but I can't really see why anyone in North America would buy the Academy E over the (readily available, and cheap, and accurate, and detailed) Revell kit. Actually, I can't help but wonder if Academy would get better sales if they just boxed up the two new sprues, instead of flogging their old Eagle along with it.

Thanks Mike, adding the GPS bulge was probably a fairly quick and easy change for them to the mold. I agree on just the new sprues

Yep. When you think of how the tooling breaks down, it's basically just drilling a small hole in the steel for the upper fuselage. No big deal. Fixing the shape would mean "adding" metal to the tooling, which more or less can't be done.

Whether you like it or not,

Academy seems to be releasing a new F-15E kit in the second quarter of 2009. Below is the description of the product:

- Various accessories and ordnances including AN/AAQ-33 Sniper XR, GBU-12

- Photo-etched parts and a detailed decal printed by Cartograf will be included

I am still hoping that they retool the upper fuselage of their old kit.

Academy seems to be releasing a new F-15E kit in the second quarter of 2009. Below is the description of the product:

So they're making a 1:48 F-15E 'Loony Tunes' release? :thumbsup:

GBU-12? Sniper XR? :salute:

I love it when I'm right :thumbsup:

Okey dokey I'll bite....

Is this a revised version of the original 1990 vintage Strike Eagle - like the SLAM Eagle but with USAF oriented weaponry and doo-dads? Not a 100% new tool.

It'll be nice if they have the CFT missile pylons - still looking for them to finish off my stupid Tunis Raid F-15D Baz build.

Matt

(they're the ones for Sparrows - I think the Hasegawa has them but I really don't want to spend $70+ for a quartet of tiny plastic parts - might as well buy resin ones! :salute:!)

Okey dokey I'll bite....

Is this a revised version of the original 1990 vintage Strike Eagle - like the SLAM Eagle but with USAF oriented weaponry and doo-dads? Not a 100% new tool.

It'll be nice if they have the CFT missile pylons - still looking for them to finish off my stupid Tunis Raid F-15D Baz build.

Matt

(they're the ones for Sparrows - I think the Hasegawa has them but I really don't want to spend $70+ for a quartet of tiny plastic parts - might as well buy resin ones! :salute:!)

Yea, this is my take on it Matt. I'll bet you its the same as the SLAM Eagle but with an extra sprue with the GBU-12s and SNIPER XR. Something I found interesting is that the SLAM-ERs and the AAW-13 are on different sprues. The way these sprues are laid out, there's a lot of stuff t that is needed for the F-15E included on the same trees as them including all A-A weaponry, the GBU-38s, LAU-128s and of course the redone rack system.

Now, as far as I know, the all variants of the E use the same rack system as the bombs to carry an air-to air missile on the cheeks. This is the way it looks to me on all the pix I have seen. The racks you are mentioning are only available as far as I know on the Hasegawa E. I have one and am doing the same as you, an IDF/AF Baz.

Does anyone know if the F-15D from Academy has the CFTs and the correct missile pylons for the Sparrows? What about the Hasegawa Ds?

I received my F-15K today in the mail and thought I'd break out the camera and take some shots for you guys.

One of the main reasons I got this kit is for the SLAM-ER system. I have to say the AWW-13 pod is very well done.

JRN_0807.jpg

The detailing is very accurate

JRN_0808.jpg

it even has the cooling blades that fit atop the pod

JRN_0809.jpg

The AGM-84K SLAM-ER is very well done and blows the resin one from Legend out of the water. The LAUs look great as well and I wish I could just get a couple of sets of these for my Revell and Hasegawa Eagles.

JRN_0817.jpg

The engine part of the SLAM-ER is very well detailed though there is a part there that seems to be a short shot at the base. Its meant to be that way to accept the control fins though there is a small amount of flash there. Both pieces have this "Flaw" though its an easy fix and its the only flash I have seen on the kit. There are however two ver small ejector pin marks on the edge of the engine.

JRN_0818.jpg

You can see here the back end of the AIM-9X as well as the nose plugs and the IR/Laser seeker nose for the GBU-38s.

JRN_0820.jpg

The GBU-38s are done in seven parts. Two bomb halves, another part for the nose as well as the plug or Laser/IR nose, fins and I think its the GPS antenna on the rear part of the bomb

JRN_0823.jpg

Here's the other part for the nose assembly for the GBU-38

JRN_0824.jpg

Speaking of JDAM - You also get the nice 2000lb version which can also use a nose plug or the dual role nose.

JRN_0821.jpg

Engines look pretty good, though I will admit I am no expert

JRN_0825.jpg

The AIMs look really nice and seem less chunky than some of the online review pix I have seen of the ones included in the F-22 kit

JRN_0819.jpg

You do have to do a little cutting and pasting per say to get the new tail pieces right. These are the new parts and there are also some domes for the very end of them for the ECM / RHAW gear housed there.

JRN_0810.jpg

A close up of the GPS done shows no surface detailing but that's not really a surprise - at least its there.

JRN_0815.jpg

I am not sure if the bottom of the fuselage has received any attention - but here's a pic just in case

JRN_0816.jpg

The much debated and maligned upper fuselage does seem like they have attempted to make the nacelles less defined. I'd say the change is noticeable, but just barely, from what I remember, but by no means a "retooling" of the upper fuselage.

JRN_0814.jpg

There will be some minor clean up here and there as can be seen in the back side of the Dorsal Brake and front nose gear door

JRN_0829.jpg

There are three tanks included of two types. one of the top and two of the bottom. - Could someone please explain the differences to a layman? I know the bottom one is the newer version, but I'd still like to know the whats and whys as to the differences

JRN_0828.jpg

And lastly, God help us, the decal sheet - enough stencils and weapons decals that Macross Kid may go into a coma from dehydration!

JRN_0831.jpg

That's it, tear it apart, praise it, whatever. Just don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Fuji
And lastly, God help us, the decal sheet - enough stencils and weapons decals that Macross Kid may go into a coma from dehydration!

That's it, tear it apart, praise it, whatever. Just don't shoot the messenger.

:thumbsup: Oh wow, thank you sooo very much sir for that1

Kidding!

:rofl:!

Thanks, this thing looks freaking awesome! The engines on the SLAM'ER's really impress me.

I think the lower fuselage has been tweaked in that the main gear bays - though not open have the option to do the differing doors between the Strike Eagles and the fighter Eagles (bulged versus not).

I have always like the look of a SLAM-ER - now to figure a US plane to hang one from, I have plenty of SLAMs now from my HB Hornets.

Fuji, any pics of the pylons and CFTs?

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
:P Oh wow, thank you sooo very much sir for that1

I just knew you'd be the first one to post! You make yourself a target, expect people to take pop shots! :deadhorse1:

I think the lower fuselage has been tweaked in that the main gear bays - though not open have the option to do the differing doors between the Strike Eagles and the fighter Eagles (bulged versus not).

I have always like the look of a SLAM-ER - now to figure a US plane to hang one from, I have plenty of SLAMs now from my HB Hornets.

Fuji, any pics of the pylons and CFTs?

Matt

Matt

All SLAMs have been converted to SLAM-ERs so your time period window on those versions of the AGM-84 is limited. Right now the only thing you can use the ER version on US Navy wise is Legacy Hornets. They have not been cleared for the Supers, though that is a matter of time. While they were around, the S-3 was capable of using the SLAM-ER if the airframe was part of the Maverick Plus upgrade. There is however a lack of markings for those jets. Last time I talked to Bob, he said he was going to pull some of the refs I had given him on the Viking so I am not giving up hope yet.

More pix? OK - Lucky for you I hadn't put away the lighting set up.

CFTs - Note the guidelines

JRN_0833.jpg

The keel racks - as I call them do to their similarity to a ship's keel - and the LANTIRN pod

JRN_0835.jpg

The CFT Pylon Racks

JRN_0836.jpg

A close up of one them

JRN_0836-b.jpg

I think this is called the Tiger Eye Pylon for the LANTIRN

JRN_0838.jpg

Clear parts

JRN_0840.jpg

So what it looks like is what I thought. They retooled the F-15D and gave new parts for the E/K.

Wander if the CFTs are right, or if they are the same as all other kits. Hopefully they will re box the C and D so we get the Flare/chaff etc.

Still as usual the Vents behind the intakes are open instead of closed like other kits as well <_<

Upon closer examination, I noticed on the decal placement sheet that they omitted the AWW-13 data link pod (though its in the assembly instructions) included in the kit, but included on the sheet and the decals for the AN/AXQ-14 pod which is not in the kit. So, does this mean the release of the F-15E will have this pod or is it a case of SNAFU at Academy? I hope its a case of putting the wrong pod in the the wrong instruction sheets (I'm telling you guys, most of the manufacturers know nothing about their subjects) and that the pod will be included in the 15E kit. The problem being, there are no decals for the AWW-13 pod on the sheet. Luckily, I do have good shots of these markings when I did several S-3 walk arounds so maybe we can get Bob to include them if he does the S-3s I sent him references for.

JRN_0843.jpg

Man that's a monster of a decal sheet. They got the markings for their standard line jets in there so I'll have to canx our pending release on that guy, not worth the effort since you can build any of the jets we have refs on just using the kit decal sheet.

K, it's official, gotta order me one. Thanks for all the great pics Fuji. I haven't forgotten about that file I need to send you either. Sorry for the wait.

Man that's a monster of a decal sheet. They got the markings for their standard line jets in there so I'll have to canx our pending release on that guy, not worth the effort since you can build any of the jets we have refs on just using the kit decal sheet.

K, it's official, gotta order me one. Thanks for all the great pics Fuji. I haven't forgotten about that file I need to send you either. Sorry for the wait.

Aren't some folks a bit ooky about Acad's decals though? :lol: I personally love them to death (aircraft marking too fuji/wakko/ect) for the way they behave, but I heard people say they don't like the quality.

Aren't some folks a bit ooky about Acad's decals though? :lol: I personally love them to death (aircraft marking too fuji/wakko/ect) for the way they behave, but I heard people say they don't like the quality.

Decals in the F-15K kit were printed by Cartograf, so there is nothing to complain about them really.

Pawel