Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Simply unbelievable. All has already been said, but let me tell you that your model completely cheated my eyes and it was a hard task to realize it was indeed a scale Viper.

My sincere congratulations mate

Hi Bob, you're welcome and thanks again.

Hello Robert, cheers my friend. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible (although I'm toying with the idea of trying to scratch-build an Amerex Halon extinguisher first.......)

Thanks for the additional pictures, Guy! No, by "problems" I only meant the hollow area underneath the etch. It looks like you've added some extra material in this area (especially the rear of the pod) to address this, right?

Great work!

Jake

Ah,....I see what you mean Jake. Yes, that area is horrible but using your Viper guide I cobbled together a solution of sorts.

The images in p118 give superb views of the pod so I started by cutting out a suitable wall of plasticard to block off the rear of the opening.

This had two angled holes cut into it and thin plasticard strips glued in place.

I used two pack putty to shape the lower edge of the opening and then the final paintwork picked out the detail nicely.

The last element at the rear end was a diagonal bridge of rectangular plastic stock from the top of the opening to the tip of the pod.

tn_ECMpoddetails.jpg

I probably had the most difficult time at the front opening. The angled splitters formed from a single piece of etched metal within the opening are n't correct. In the end, I left it as it was although comparson with pictures of the real item will reveal the discrepancies. I used two pack putty again to smooth and fill in the rear of each opening a little, blending the putty back from the front lip to close each of the three holes down somewhat. This is a feature of the full sized article so together, the modifications to both front and rear openings help to let less light through the hollow core of the pod. HTH

Hi Azor, thanks for stopping by. Thank you for your kind words. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the photos.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Edited by geedubelyer

You know, Guy, it's great that you're as talented as you are, and make such great updates for us to enjoy. However, the fact that you make little diagrams for us to understand your methods is even better. You certainly don't have to take the time to do that, and I, for one, am very appreciative.

Along with your pilot/oxygen tube tricks from your F-15E, I'm going to shamelessly steal your methods when I deal with my ALQ-131 pods. Yours looks fantastic.

Thanks so much!

Jake

Hi Jeff, thanks for the kind words. By coincidence, that shot was my favourite too.

Ken, Viperbite, Panos, Alexander, Qian and T many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. As you know, it can take a while to photograph, edit and upload the images so getting such great feedback makes it all worthwhile ^_^

Hi Kai, I hope the sketch helps. Part of the reason I did n't add the pod until later was it took a while to get motivated and decide how to do it.

Hi Jake, I was n't aware of any issues with the Flightpath pod :thumbsup: . Here are a couple of pics. I apologise for the quality but they are the best I could manage with a compact autofocus camera now that the pod is tucked away under the bird.

I hope these give you an idea or two of how to tackle yours. If I make another one I'll score the fold lines first to help with getting a crisp crease and neat, straight fold to the brass.

Hello Bob, nice to see you.

I use a poster sized photo as a backdrop. I had my local Staples store enlarge an image for me. The paper is glossy so reflections are a problem. I've found that by tilting the poster toward the model I can cut down on the unwanted reflections. Here's a quick sketch to show my set up...

I raise the model base up a little so that I can get lower with the camera for better perspective. (A secondary benefit is avoiding the white margin at the bottom of the poster.) I also take care to leave a gap between the backdrop and the edge of the model base board. By taking this precaution it is easier to avoid unwanted shadows creeping onto the backdrop at the wrong angle and spoiling the illusion. HTH

Many thanks to everyone who has stopped by. Your kind and generous words are always very much appreciated.

Cheers,

:worship:

Guy, that pod is incredible! And thanks for the sketch of your photo layout - did you draw that freehand? Nice work regardless

Edited by Ken Middleton

Along with your pilot/oxygen tube tricks from your F-15E, I'm going to shamelessly steal your methods when I deal with my ALQ-131 pods. Yours looks fantastic.

Thanks so much!

Jake

Thanks Jake you're welcome, happy to help. I'll keep an eye out for it in your next magazine article :worship: ;)

....... And thanks for the sketch of your photo layout - did you draw that freehand? Nice work regardless
Hi Ken, thanks for stopping by, glad you like it. The sketches are knocked out on the Bamboo fun drawing tablet by Wacom. I'm not in the Chukw league by a long chalk but I have alot of fun messing about with the tablet :D

(It was easier to do the drawing than set the equipment up and take a pic of it anyway.)

Thanks again you guys. :)

:cheers: