Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Amazing job there Guy. It truely is a work of art, as is all of the models you've shown us here. I not only enjoy reading the build threads to see how your masterpieces are done, but enjoy the detail that you put into explaining how you do everything. Makes your techniques easier to "borrow" on my projects! :worship: Now if I could only borrow some of your talent too...

Aaron

• 1 month later...

:jaw-dropping:

Somehow I missed this work of art when first posted... I really must visit the CC forum more often!

Simply e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t work all around, Guy!

Very realistic finish on an expertly built model, and great photography too.

I look forward to seeing a Tomcat from you sometime soon! :bandhead2:

Cheers,

Anders

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Many thanks for the kind comments. I'm thrilled that you like my efforts and appreciate your comments a great deal.

As a distraction from the F-14 intakes I endeavoured to finish this one up finally. This last batch of piccies show the addition of the AN/ALQ-131 ECM pod which has been sitting on the bench taunting me all this time and the gun gas purge door which I forgot the first time round...... :P

Although quite similar to the original photos I hope you enjoy these as much as the first batch.

tn_FinishedF-16022.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16023.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16011.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16021a.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16025.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16027a.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16033.jpg

tn_FinishedF-16031.jpg

Thanks for looking. At last she's finally finished!

Cheers,

:cheers:

Guy,

The ALQ is just...well, the icing on the cake. I know the Flightpath is not the most accurate item, but I am really thankful they made it. Even without markings. Hopefully someone will step up one day.

Would appreciate if you tell a bit about what you modified and what you did to the pylon. When I made the Academy Viper, I guestimated the measurements and cut the kit pylon to size, but the sway braces didn't seem in the right location.

Great work and inspiration (made me pull out mine after 2 years).

Kai

Hi HOLMES, i'm glad YOU like it...

Is that the Flightpath ALQ-131 with a scratch-built pylon?

Jake

Hi Jake, thanks for the kind words. Yes, this is the Flightpath offering with a scratch-built pylon from Evergreen stock and decals from the spares box.

Guy,

Would appreciate if you tell a bit about what you modified and what you did to the pylon. When I made the Academy Viper, I guestimated the measurements and cut the kit pylon to size, but the sway braces didn't seem in the right location.

Kai

Hi Kai, I know what you mean. I eyed up the Tamiya kit pylon and came to the same conclusion. Also, the kit pylon would put the pod on the floor as it's too deep.

In the end I made a pylon from rectangular section plastic stock. I used the kit pylon as a guide for the mounting points and lined the front tip of my scratch pylon with the front of the kit pylon. This was then lined up with the front lip of the intake mouth on the pod. The length of the scratch pylon was dictated by the mounting points. The rear end of the pylon finishes at the rearmost mounting pin.

The sway braces were then measured off the formed etched blocks that are glued to the pod as per the Flightpath instructions. The sway braces are just plastic stock filed to a slight taper with a short length of round plastic rod at the tip to represent the bolt.

I've quickly drawn a sketch to try to show what I did. I hope this helps...

tn_ALQ-131.jpg

Thanks again guys :cheers:

:soapbox:

Absolutetly first class work there Guy!!

As the others have said, your ability to give a realistic appearence to your models is excellent, and the pic below is just a superb example of a brilliant model with equally brilliant photography, creating a pic that looks as close to the real deal as you can get! :o

tn_FinishedF-16022.jpg

Cheers,

Jeff.

:salute: Wow!!! Guy, she looks simply smashing! Being shot at so nice sunny (well, a little cloudy) weather she looks so fresh and attractive!

The palette looks very realistic at the natural light. Very nice photos as well!

The pod is awesome, commendable work on the pylon!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:P

WOW!! This Viper is really AWESOME!! :salute:

I'll be building a 1/48 Viper in the near future.. and your WIP thread and this topic had been very helpful for me if I can make my Viper look realistic.

Keep up the good work!! Always loved your models here! :)

:P

Hi Kai, I know what you mean. I eyed up the Tamiya kit pylon and came to the same conclusion. Also, the kit pylon would put the pod on the floor as it's too deep.

In the end I made a pylon from rectangular section plastic stock. I used the kit pylon as a guide for the mounting points and lined the front tip of my scratch pylon with the front of the kit pylon. This was then lined up with the front lip of the intake mouth on the pod. The length of the scratch pylon was dictated by the mounting points. The rear end of the pylon finishes at the rearmost mounting pin.

The sway braces were then measured off the formed etched blocks that are glued to the pod as per the Flightpath instructions. The sway braces are just plastic stock filed to a slight taper with a short length of round plastic rod at the tip to represent the bolt.

I've quickly drawn a sketch to try to show what I did. I hope this helps...

Thanks Guy,

Great tutorial. I figured you did it the hard way... I haven't decided yet which route to go, but the mounting blocks on top of the pod keep giving me grief. I am building the 1/48 in between; fortunately it has the pylon. Maybe that will "inspire" me some more.

Keep up the great work,

-Kai

Hi Jake, thanks for the kind words. Yes, this is the Flightpath offering with a scratch-built pylon from Evergreen stock and decals from the spares box.

Would you mind posting some close-ups of the pod, please? I'm sure you're aware of the problems with the Flightpath set, so I'd love to see how you tackled them. I've got a pair of them, but I can't figure out how to make them work.

Jake

Incredible as usual. You just cannot tell it from the real thing. Photography is also of a very imresssive level. Could you describe a little bit of how you are making these photos? Are you photographing against a real background or against a photo of a real scene? If the latter how are you avoiding glare off the surface?

Thanks, Bob

Hi Jeff, thanks for the kind words. By coincidence, that shot was my favourite too.

Ken, Viperbite, Panos, Alexander, Qian and T many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. As you know, it can take a while to photograph, edit and upload the images so getting such great feedback makes it all worthwhile :cheers:

Hi Kai, I hope the sketch helps. Part of the reason I did n't add the pod until later was it took a while to get motivated and decide how to do it.

Hi Jake, I was n't aware of any issues with the Flightpath pod :) . Here are a couple of pics. I apologise for the quality but they are the best I could manage with a compact autofocus camera now that the pod is tucked away under the bird.

tn_ALQ-131pod002.jpg

tn_ALQ-131pod003.jpg

tn_ALQ-131pod004.jpg

tn_ALQ-131pod001.jpg

tn_ALQ-131pod005.jpg

I hope these give you an idea or two of how to tackle yours. If I make another one I'll score the fold lines first to help with getting a crisp crease and neat, straight fold to the brass.

Hello Bob, nice to see you.

I use a poster sized photo as a backdrop. I had my local Staples store enlarge an image for me. The paper is glossy so reflections are a problem. I've found that by tilting the poster toward the model I can cut down on the unwanted reflections. Here's a quick sketch to show my set up...

tn_Photosketch.jpg

I raise the model base up a little so that I can get lower with the camera for better perspective. (A secondary benefit is avoiding the white margin at the bottom of the poster.) I also take care to leave a gap between the backdrop and the edge of the model base board. By taking this precaution it is easier to avoid unwanted shadows creeping onto the backdrop at the wrong angle and spoiling the illusion. HTH

Many thanks to everyone who has stopped by. Your kind and generous words are always very much appreciated.

Cheers,

:salute:

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Guy, When I first saw those close-ups of the pod I thought for sure i was looking at the real thing. And your answer to my question on how you photograph your models was nothing short of incredible. You're an artist as well!

Is there any end to your talents???

Thanks for a great answer and for inspiring us all to do better.

Bob

Hi Jake, I was n't aware of any issues with the Flightpath pod :wave: . Here are a couple of pics. I apologise for the quality but they are the best I could manage with a compact autofocus camera now that the pod is tucked away under the bird.

Thanks for the additional pictures, Guy! No, by "problems" I only meant the hollow area underneath the etch. It looks like you've added some extra material in this area (especially the rear of the pod) to address this, right?

Great work!

Jake