1/48 Hobby Boss F-18

Title says it all. I'm in a bit of a delima here on choosing between the hasegawa F-18 kit or breaking down and buying a HB F-18 kit for less money.

I know the HB kit is pretty much a knock off of Hasegawa's F-18 kit in 1/48, but is the quality of the plastic or detail any less?

I saw the parts break down on Modeling Madness and it looks like a Hasegawa F-18.

Is it worth it to get the HB kit for $38 or should I save my pennies and keep buying Hasegawa?

TIA..

Do the search, I thought you'd be up on any Navy related model kits out there.

Buy the Hasegawa kit, the HB kit has many shape and detail problems.

Curt

To be specific the biggest bugaboos are the misshapen spine and the intakes, which are not quite as rounded as they should be. Also, despite the separate wing flaps HB only supplies flaps-up hinges, requiring alteration. Plus the HARMS look iffy.

It builds up nicely but there are some problems as mentioned...personally I like the kits, the Hasegawa may be better in terms of accuracy but in terms of fit the Hobbyboss is supposedly slightly better. For me (as someone shopping within the UK) the fact I can get the Hobbyboss Hornet for £20 yet the Hasegawa will set me back over £30 for almost all editions is a big deciding factor in favour of the Hobbyboss Hornet.

For some reason here in the US the HB kit runs $10 higher than Hasegawa.

Hb has a few areas that keeps me from buying one, 1st is the 6 scale foot long torque link on the nose gear, the grossly misshaped intakes, rivet detail that runs straight down the wing regardless of what panel/inspection port that may cross it's path, and a grossly over sized canopy that for some unknown reason the tooled after the Monogran 2 piece affair.

Curt

For some reason here in the US the HB kit runs $10 higher than Hasegawa.

Hb has a few areas that keeps me from buying one, 1st is the 6 scale foot long torque link on the nose gear, the grossly misshaped intakes, rivet detail that runs straight down the wing regardless of what panel/inspection port that may cross it's path, and a grossly over sized canopy that for some unknown reason the tooled after the Monogran 2 piece affair.

Curt

The HB F/A-18A at my local Riders has it for the same as the Hasegawa Hellenic F-16D, about $70. Still rather pricey. I can't remember if they had any legacy hornets (two Rhinos for $90 each though! :thumbsup:), but another Riders an hour away had a pair of CF-188s, either $60 or $70, so yeah, it does seem like they're more expensive (the extra shipping distance from China vs. Japan?...?)