A question regarding F-16 GSE....

I'm looking to do an F-16 from the OIF era on a kind-of diorama, what sort of GSE is required for a see off on a F-16?

also is there any RBF's that are removed just before the jet takes off (arming fuses etc). I've never worked on fast jets, only helecopters and slow props, so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

Edited by Hurricane363
I'm looking to do an F-16 from the OIF era on a kind-of diorama, what sort of GSE is required for a see off on a F-16?

also is there any RBF's that are removed just before the jet takes off (arming fuses etc). I've never worked on fast jets, only helecopters and slow props, so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

The F-16 has a JFS (Jet fuel starter) which is basically a APU so as for plug in equipment to start the jet, none is required. The one prominent thing that will be present is a fire extinguisher near by. You may see a panel open on the RH intake that the crew chief plugs (sorry, something does get plugged in) a headset in to talk to the pilot. I am sure hand signals can be used as well.

As for weapons safing, like in a special area, I do not know.

From what I understand, the EPU pin is usually the last pin pulled before launch, though from what a Crew Chief said, sometimes the EPU pin is pulled at the end of runway check. Depending on the “live†ordinance loaded (to include BDUs), some may also have pins to pull at EOR.

That’s not really true. The F-16’s JFS is exactly that: A Jet Fuel Starter, to rotate and start the engine. It is not an APU and can not run the aircraft’s systems. When the aircraft requires electrical power without the engine running, a ground power generator unit needs to be plugged into the jet.

Curt

Ok prior to engine start the nose downlock pin and tailhook pin were removed after engine start and before taxi the main landing gear pins and EPU pin were removed. Then the jet would taxi to EOR End Of Runway check were the pins for any live munition would be pulled. Now I think some bases might have done things different, but for sure the Nose pin would be removed prior to engine start seeing the proximity to the intake.