Italeri F-84F Thunderstreak 48

I will NEED one ASAP, so that I can make sure my resin sets will fit this one as well. In fact I may just re-do them to be more "modular", similar to the newer 'pit sets I have done. (fewer parts, easier to assemble)

I didn't even know they added one to their catalog. I am guessing though that considering Italeri's connection to Revell of Germany that maybe this is a rebox of a different F-84F kit rather then a unique tool (Hmmm, Kinetic perhaps?). It may take awhile before we find out though.

I didn't even know they added one to their catalog. I am guessing though that considering Italeri's connection to Revell of Germany that maybe this is a rebox of a different F-84F kit rather then a unique tool (Hmmm, Kinetic perhaps?). It may take awhile before we find out though.

RoG have reboxed Italeri kits in the past, never the other way around AFAIK. And considering that the recent 1/48th RoG Thunderstreak was a reboxed Monogram, I'd consider that even less likely.

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Cheers,

Andre

Italeri announced it as new tool, but you know, one can't be sure until it is on sale!

Will keep an eye on Italian shop...

I HOPE it is a new tool, and more accurate as well. I guess we can only wait and see.

Over on Britmodeler we have been discussing this and I am beginning to think it's the Kinetic kit. Someone spotted a new Italeri 32nd Sabre listed at Nurenburg and a mention in the last SAMI over here that Kinetic still had not gotten a European distributor makes me think it's a Kinetic rebox with Italeri handling distribution in thier own boxes.

Matt

Over on Britmodeler we have been discussing this and I am beginning to think it's the Kinetic kit. Someone spotted a new Italeri 32nd Sabre listed at Nurenburg and a mention in the last SAMI over here that Kinetic still had not gotten a European distributor makes me think it's a Kinetic rebox with Italeri handling distribution in thier own boxes.

Matt

OOOOH! NOT good!!!

Dag nabbit...we need a real NEW TOOL F-84F.

Actually, if it is just a Kinetic kit reboxed (and I am now pretty certain of that considering the Britmodeler discussion), then I would still get one as the Italians had some nice color schemes on their jets (please, let it have Getti Tonanti decals!). Besides Harold, the Kinetic may not be perfect (and actually a step back in some aspects from the Monogram kit while in others it is better), but think of all the customers you'll have for your resin bits. :blink:

Actually, if it is just a Kinetic kit reboxed (and I am now pretty certain of that considering the Britmodeler discussion), then I would still get one as the Italians had some nice color schemes on their jets (please, let it have Getti Tonanti decals!). Besides Harold, the Kinetic may not be perfect (and actually a step back in some aspects from the Monogram kit while in others it is better), but think of all the customers you'll have for your resin bits. :blink:

OOPS, I didn't think of that...LOL

Hear at Italeri stand on Nürnberg Fair, it's a Kinetic rebox, also the 1/32 F-86F Sabre, release expected at mid 2009.

Thanks.

I just wish they would at least fix the lemon sucking intake. Too bad Kinetic had the bright idea of modding the Tamiya gun tray and adding it to their Mono/Revell rip off.

If they had not done that, It would have been a fairly good (and better) copy.

Edited by Harold
Thanks.

I just wish they would at least fix the lemon sucking intake. Too bad Kinetic had the bright idea of modding the Tamiya gun tray and adding it to their Mono/Revell rip off.

If they had not done that, It would have been a fairly good (and better) copy.

I'm still going to try and graft the Monogram/RoG intake lip onto the Kinetic kit,just need a donor fuselage or two to hack up,I'll probably hit Evilbay and get one/two off there when the time comes to hop back on the F-84 bus,Phantoms have ruled the work bench the last year or so.

If it works and seeing what tweaks need to be done,I probably hand over the needed material to my friend who works wonders at making masters for resin items(remember the Medallion resin stuff for a/c?He made a few masters for Chris back in the day)and pass it along to *cough*..*Harold*..*cough*....if he wants to kick it out in his AMS line.This will be a good chance to talk to Greg and get back on some projects we had planned in resin.

I'm still going to try and graft the Monogram/RoG intake lip onto the Kinetic kit,just need a donor fuselage or two to hack up,I'll probably hit Evilbay and get one/two off there when the time comes to hop back on the F-84 bus,Phantoms have ruled the work bench the last year or so.

If it works and seeing what tweaks need to be done,I probably hand over the needed material to my friend who works wonders at making masters for resin items(remember the Medallion resin stuff for a/c?He made a few masters for Chris back in the day)and pass it along to *cough*..*Harold*..*cough*....if he wants to kick it out in his AMS line.This will be a good chance to talk to Greg and get back on some projects we had planned in resin.

Hee hee....Great minds, (and all that)

I did one from one of my Mono kits. It worked great. All you have to do (after removing the nose from the Mono lt) is spread the top of the Kinetic kit a little so that the Mono nose fits. Then the gun cover is too narrow!!. But can be fixed. So, if you wish to do a resin correction set, it would have to include a corrected gun tray panel.

I had a fuselage correction set in the works over a year ago. It would correct all the little niggles on the Mono/REV/Kin kits. BUT, it is sitting in a box. Along with several other major correction sets.

Edited by Harold
Hee hee....Great minds, (and all that)

I did one from one of my Mono kits. It worked great. All you have to do (after removing the nose from the Mono lt) is spread the top of the Kinetic kit a little so that the Mono nose fits. Then the gun cover is too narrow!!. But can be fixed. So, if you wish to do a resin correction set, it would have to include a corrected gun tray panel.

To do it right, the whole from fuselage needs replacing!!

I was thinking from maybe the windscreen forward with the corrected gun cover panel and the nose ring,at least that's what I remember from my modeling notes.Did you widen the gun cover any Harold?A small splice and plastic stock do the trick?I have wanted to do a F-84F for the longest time in our units markings but rescribing or correcting the kits has put it on the back burner it seems like forever,I'll probably dig into it after my current Phantom builds are done just for a break from the norm.

I was thinking from maybe the windscreen forward with the corrected gun cover panel and the nose ring,at least that's what I remember from my modeling notes.Did you widen the gun cover any Harold?A small splice and plastic stock do the trick?I have wanted to do a F-84F for the longest time in our units markings but rescribing or correcting the kits has put it on the back burner it seems like forever,I'll probably dig into it after my current Phantom builds are done just for a break from the norm.

Splitting it will work. I added a strip of styrene to each side of the panel. It was a pain to do, but was just fine afterwords. I think spitting it will be better, 'cause it will not need to be refined on the outer edges.

Cool,sounds doable then.I'll have to get some Mono kits and drag them into the modeling cave and start hacking!

Crap,now I'm getting hyped on doing one :wave:

I'll have to grab one of your 'pit's now for the Kinetic kit(early one I think for our birds)so I can get rolling on this when other projects are off the table.

If I can get it to look like this,I'll be real happy!

100_2273.jpg

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
Cool,sounds doable then.I'll have to get some Mono kits and drag them into the modeling cave and start hacking!

Crap,now I'm getting hyped on doing one :wub:

I'll have to grab one of your 'pit's now for the Kinetic kit(early one I think for our birds)so I can get rolling on this when other projects are off the table.

If I can get it to look like this,I'll be real happy!

100_2273.jpg

Yep, that looks like the real thing...LOL

• 5 months later...

Well, looks like I'm the last one to get the word that this Italeri 2682 F-84F is a the Kinetic kit in a purty box with really purty decals. "New tools"? HA!

I bought the kit, got it today (Tuesday, 28th). Somebody needs to make a correct resin nose for this kit. That one item would help salvage this bust-up kit.

I'm not of a mind to excuse the lack of due diligence on the part of Kinetic as they just had to rip off Monogram and Tamiya instead of doing their own research.

Were they just plain too lazy to put the time into making it right? Cost of tooling? Doesn't cost any more to do it right rather than do it incorrectly. It wasn't a good kit with Kinetic brand on it, so why did Italeri put the word out that it was "new tools" then condescend to place their brand on it? My view is it is just plain inexcusable for Italeri to conclude this was a kit worthy of their brand. Yeah, the decal sheet is great. However, the price/value intersection does not make it worth the cost to get the kit for the decals. The lemon-shaped intake is "up-front-notice" that this kit is a lemon in the Kinetic box and it is still a lemon in the Italeri box.

So how is this kit any better than Monogram/Revell? Here's the comparison:

Monogram/Revell - Reasonably decent kit especially for the era it was tooled. Aft ventral profile too slim, tail between short and long versions. Raised but minimal panel lines. Not state of the art, but builds well from-the-box.

Kinetic/Italeri - Generally, a rip-off of Mongram/Revell with the same profile and tail issues. With minor exceptions, the "rip-off" includes all the cockpit and gear. Trench-sized engraved panel lines. Some added panel lines as on "Flash" but not on "Streak." "Bonus" is added weapons bay, a rip-off of Tamiya Thunderjet kit. The BIG KILLER for this kit is the MIS-SHAPEN intake. GACK! IF the intake was not so glaringly inaccurate, one could wink at the other issues and call the kit and "improved" Monogram/Revell.

In short, it is no better, in fact, it is worse. So why buy it when the Monogram/Revell is much less out-of-pocket cost?

As my dad used to say, "Just between you and me and the gatepost ..." Don't waste your money on this kit. If you want to build a "Streak" from the box, get the Monogram/Revell. If you want to super detail a "Streak" use the Monogram/Revell and Harold's AMS resin (and there are a couple quite good PE frets available) for the build.

My opinion? Italeri deserves a reward for issuing this monstrosity, as in, reward them by declining to purchase this travesty of a kit.

Officially is the Kinetic kit. Here's the review. Huge decal sheet.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

DAMN!!! They literally CRAMMED that sheet with some good stuff. I was hoping it maybe would have some Gettin Tonanti markings on it, but it doesn't. Still, they have some really NICE looking jet markings on that sheet, everything from a very nice USAF bird to French Suez campaign markings (and Italian, German and Greek markings thrown in). I've got to get me one of THESE!