Old Hasegawa Mk 1 & Revell Mk Vb

After seeing some of the great builds on this forum I was a bit wary about joining this group build as I am just getting back into the hobby after 20 years!

But anyway here goes with Spitfire number 1. I wanted to do a pre war Mk 1 just because I like the big roundels, night\day underside, flat canopy and two blade prop. Like this one:

9_9_b2.jpg

My camera is on the blink so I have not been able to document as thoroughly as I would have liked but lets just say the kit was a pig to build. Fit was poor with lots of fillers used (never had that in my day!), I broke the aerial mast within seconds of assembling the fuselage, I had to replace it with a spare from an Airfix kit and the carpet monster eat some small parts. On the plus side the cockpit was easy as there isn't one.

MK1_Under.jpg

Behind.jpg

Front.jpg

Prodline.jpg

Anyway It has given me some form of twisted pleasure so here is where I am up to. It is basically complete, just need to touch up some of the paint and add a few exhaust and oil stains. Also need to dull it down as it is too shiny.

I will post pics when I work out how to use this camera ( I have had to borrow one from work) or get mine fixed :P

I have already started a Revell Mk Vb and am thinking of the one after that.

Edited by old_Tonto
Don't be wary. You're among friends sharing a love of modeling and we all were new at this hobby at one point.

Your Spit's not bad for a first effort. What paints did you use? Tell us more.

I used a real mixture of Xtracrylic (brown), Humbrol Acrylic (green), Tamiya (black) and rattle can for the white. It was just what I had left over from when I used to model years ago and the Xtracrylic I picked up at a model show. I used a good old fashioned paint brush as I don't have an airbrush.

The decals were mostly from the kit (very old) except for the yellow number 19 and the under wing roundels, the one on the right (black) side disintegrated but I managed to salvage it and touch it up the blue with paint.

I learned several lessons and tried some new techniques.

• Future is awesome, great for canopies, don't know how we ever got by in the old days!
    Tamiya tape, essential. Another first for me.
    I need to be more disciplined and plan the build before hand - dry fitting of parts helps a lot.
    Stir paint thoroughly and test before applying. Yes I know it's obvious :)
    I learned to use filler for gaps and to remove excess with nail varnish remover. Good tip.

I nearly gave up several times but i am glad I perciveared and when it is weathered a bit I will try to get some good photos. You can see in the background a Mk Vb that I have already started. Once again I rushed into it and made a mess of the paint job and snapped off the mast. :unsure: So I had to sand it back, obliterating the panel lines and sprayed it with a Humbrol rattle can but that is for another post. I am definately going for quantity over quality with this group build. Hopefully there will be some improvement with each completed kit.

Thanks for the encouragement. :salute:

Antenna masts, pitot tubes, and other things such-like are always the last things in my build. They are just to fragile to add before. I'm also tending these days to make these objects from brass. This makes for stronger small parts.

It looks like you are aware of learning that very important lesson of not giving up. Often it's necessary to do over something you've already done. :whistle:

Take some photos of your VB and share them with us as you progress in your build. And call out if you run into a problem.

Antenna masts, pitot tubes, and other things such-like are always the last things in my build. They are just to fragile to add before. I'm also tending these days to make these objects from brass. This makes for stronger small parts.

It looks like you are aware of learning that very important lesson of not giving up. Often it's necessary to do over something you've already done. :whistle:

Take some photos of your VB and share them with us as you progress in your build. And call out if you run into a problem.

Cheers mate, it is good to know that help is on hand. :cheers:

The Mk V is on my tempory bench at work, an essential lunchtime distraction ( and it keeps me out of the pub!). As I am on holiday for the next week it won't be touched for a while. I have a workbench at home on which I am making an MPM Mk XIX (very slowly) so I might start a Mk IX. I will keep you all posted.

...and snapped off the mast....

You are not alone with that problem :D It is common thing to add things like mast again and again... I try to glue it as late as possible, but sometimes... :blink: :blink:

... I am definately going for quantity over quality with this group build.

IMHO the quality and quantity must be balanced. I wish you do it as the best as possible.

Good colours shades on Mk I. I also like big roundels. Looking forward to see Mk V...

David :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep people updated, I have had problems with both these builds lately. I completed weathering the Mk 1 and sprayed it with Humbrol Satin varnish. I don't know what went wrong but a milky white stiple effect appeared all over and white line appeared at the wing root. The rest of the camo looks patchy too.

SS850487.jpg

SS850491.jpg

That is where I am at with this one. Any suggestions as to my next step - right it off as a bad job? :thumbsup:

I have had problems with the Mk Vb as well, you can see from this shot the lovely brown sprue colour that the kit came in. It actually showed through the primer and camo scheme! ;)

Sprue_Brown.jpg

I had to sand it back and re-spray the top grey colour. Unfortunately in doing this I lost most of the panel lines but at least I now have a smooth coat to work with.

Grey.jpg

I have at least chosen what I want to do with it. This will become a yank Spitfire, probably MD T flown by Don Gentile shortly after transfer to the USAAF.

don.jpg

Decals.jpg

So this is where I am with this kit. I will try to get the green camo on ASAP, work permitting. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a bit slow on this one. I am learning lots as the build continues.

I got the camo on, all painted free hand with a Mk1 hairy stick using Humbrol & Xtracrylics.

Camo.jpg

I decided to paint the Sky fuselage band as the kit decal didn't look the correct colour to me. After a coat of future it is ready for decals.

Vbcamoon.jpg

This is where I am at the moment. I have deliberately left the cannons and mast off as I would only snap them. :worship:

Now I know I should have done this earlier but I didn't. I decided to dry fit the canopy and it is WAY too small.

Canopy.jpg

I still don't know what I will do about this, check the spares box I suppose or have a go at using a vacform canopy.

I thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing! :)

Hello mate, are you sure the canopy is from the Revell kit? I built one some years ago, and the canopy fit pretty well..

It was an Ebay buy so I am suspicious. :P I am going to have a go with a vacform canopy.

Progress of sorts on the Mk Vb. Things have been a bit slow as I have a cold and don't feel like doing much. I have started applying the decals and tried some weathering whilst I build up the courage to have a crack at a vacform canopy. Here is the progress so far:

DecsOn1.jpg

DecsOn2.jpg

DecsOn3.jpg

You will notice that I have only decaled the port side, I had to touch up the paint work where some of the starboard decals will be located, I will apply those tomorrow. The decal sheet includes some yellow wing leading edges, I have applied one but it will need touching up with paint. I think I will paint these on in future.

The Mk 1 has been scoured back after the varnish disaster and another coat of future applied and it looks much better. I think I will ditch the Humbrol varnish and try some Testors dull coat. Pictures to follow. Wish me luck. :thumbsup:

Finally got one completed.

SS850529.jpg

SS850532.jpg

SS850533.jpg

SS850534.jpg

SS850496.jpg

This one has been a real challenge for the word go. It nearly hit the wall several times! The worst disaster was not the fault of the kit but of Humbrol varnish. I ended up having to scour the varnish off with a pan scrubber! After some touching up, another coat of future and a couple of coats of Testers Dull coat I have had enough. :wacko:

I may add some thread for an aerial between mast & tail at some point but I don't know what to use. Any suggestions?

This is my first completed kit for many years so I am proud of it even if it is of a pretty low standard. The next one should be better. :)

Edited by old_Tonto

Congrats on finishing one, OT. It's good you enjoyed the build and the finished project.

Regarding your antenna question: there's several ways to do this. Some things that can work are nylon fishing line, invisible sewing thread, and stretched sprue.

For you, I'd suggest stretching sprue. It's a modeling skill that you can use to add details that are too clunky or not provided in the kit. Take a bit of sprue and heat it over a heat source. When the plastic is gloopy, pull. Really simple. I usually just use a tea candle. For aerials, the clear sprue is good way to go.

HTH.

Another one finished (or as close as it will ever be!) Spitfire Mk Vb, 336th Fighter Squadron, USAAF September 1942, flown by Cpt. Don Gentile. Shortly after transfer from No.133 Squadron (Eagle) RAF.

SS850589.jpg

I learned a lot during this build, mostly about the correct order of doing things. I made plenty of mistakes but different ones from my previous build so that's good.

SS850590.jpg

SS850592.jpg

I should have painted dark circles on the wings to represent where the RAF roundels had been but I forgot until too late! I didn't fancy doing it as a retrograde step. Maybe I will come back to it at some future time.

SS850593.jpg

I also need to take more care with decaling. I should plan the order I apply decals in as I had an incident with one of the stars lifting off. We live and learn. ;) Overall I enjoyed the build and plan to do more US Spits.

SS850594.jpg

Here it is alongside the Mk1:

SS850586.jpg

B)

Hello,

congratulations to finished models. You have nice Spitfire family...

Best regards,

David

Thanks David,

I know they are not the best but I hope I am improving, I still have the Czech Mk IX to complete, I have a couple of weeks holiday coming up so I hope to finish it off then. In the mean time I have an Indian Airforce PR XIX on the workbench for this group build and I have nearly completed this Thai Air Force Mk XIV:

SS850609.jpg

SS850611.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

• 1 month later...

Nice work! Getting back into modeling after some time is a blast, as the new techniques and materials are incredible. You can do things now that we only dreamed of back in "the day". And the new models that are out......Like a kid in a candy store. Hard not to go on a buying spree sometimes, course the kids need to eat.