Since it's not fun only building one or two or several models at once, I've broken open the seal on Minicraft's Herc.

IMGP0001.jpg

As it's in 1/144 scale, it goes together quickly (no interior to paint, which is why airliners are so great). The fuselage is closed and the wings glued. The instructions would have you build it with the rear ramp open, but it's easily closed which is what I did.

IMGP0004.jpg

Edited by DC10Oiller

The kit decals look OK. They're well printed, nice and crisp, and in register. I can't say much about the colour without checking more closely but it looks close. I don't like the way they printed the roundel and aircraft number for the upper wings with the wing walk areas. I would prefer to paint my own walkways and have the roundel and number separate. Oddly enough, the instructions only show you how to apply the USCG markings.

That being said, I will be using the CanMilAir set as the plane I want to do is from the Symetrical markings era and in 3 tone camo.

G'day Oiler,

Are you using the kit engines or didd you go with the bra.z ones. I thought about doing up the interior of mine, but decided not to as i will be the only one looking at it and my skills aren't up too show quality.

looking forward to seeing this one.

:doh:

Brendon

As it's in 1/144 scale, it goes together quickly (no interior to paint, which is why airliners are so great). The fuselage is closed and the wings glued. The instructions would have you build it with the rear ramp open, but it's easily closed which is what I did.

IMGP0004.jpg

Hi DC10Oiler, that will be an interesting build, I'm indeed interested in ordering this kit but it's quite pricey given its relative "small" size. All the photos I've seen over the net tend to exaggerate the recessed details, do you think they look good in that scale? They look similar to that on the DC-8 kits, which I find just great. Thanks!

The wings are on and fuselage seems dealt with. The kit goes together quite nicely.

IMGP0028.jpg

Are you using the kit engines or didd you go with the bra.z ones. I thought about doing up the interior of mine, but decided not to as i will be the only one looking at it and my skills aren't up too show quality.

I'm building mine basically right out of the box except for the decals. I was unaware that Braz had engines for this kit, and knowing that sort of makes me feel a bit disconcerted. The kit is designed by Braz (the plastic even says so) so to hear that they have replacement engines makes me wonder if it isn't all a ploy to squeeze a few more bucks out of my wallet. Afterall, why didn't they get them right the first time?

Hi DC10Oiler, that will be an interesting build, I'm indeed interested in ordering this kit but it's quite pricey given its relative "small" size. All the photos I've seen over the net tend to exaggerate the recessed details, do you think they look good in that scale? They look similar to that on the DC-8 kits, which I find just great. Thanks!

Overall, the kit is nice, though you're right it doesn't come exactly cheap. The panel lines, admittedly, look a bit deep for 1/144 scale, but not overly so. Once you get some primer and paint in them they'll shallow out some. The other couple of things that struck me right off were that the cabin windows need to be drilled out (no big deal there) and the nose is somewhat pinched in shape as Brendon points out in his build. Still, it's a very nice kit with lots of potential. And it's a far cry better than the old Revell kit.

The reason why Bra.z made the resin nacelles, was they weren't happy with the way the kits were molded.

Godness, AGAIN those bloody toolmakers?!?!?! It happened with the RoG C-17 engine intakes too. The kit was delightfully designed by Ivo from Bra.Z Models but it is said that the toolmaker made permanent changes to the moulds @ last minute 1) without informing/asking permission from RoG and 2) complicating the assembly (Ivo originally designed the intake assembly "seamless" while the _bloody_ _hem sorry_ toolmaker made it a 2-3 joints affair).

And now the thingy with the MC Hercules engines...

Edited by GearDownPlease
Overall, the kit is nice, though you're right it doesn't come exactly cheap. The panel lines, admittedly, look a bit deep for 1/144 scale, but not overly so. Once you get some primer and paint in them they'll shallow out some. The other couple of things that struck me right off were that the cabin windows need to be drilled out (no big deal there) and the nose is somewhat pinched in shape as Brendon points out in his build. Still, it's a very nice kit with lots of potential. And it's a far cry better than the old Revell kit.

The flight deck glazings look also quite deeply recessed, "à la Minicraft 777 style". Okay, expensive, + the Bra.Z Models engine set but I love that fat brute so much I will order one in the coming days. Thanks for your photos!

• 2 weeks later...
Are you using the kit engines or didd you go with the bra.z ones.

OK, I get it now. The engines are way wrong. I didn't really take a good look at them before, but even my level of "I don't give a crap" can't put up those. They look like they were taken off a Lancaster. So it's out with the credit card to order new engines. The only good part about this is the break will let me work on my other builds.

IMGP0095.jpg

I was aware of the engine shape, where are you getting the replacements from? I believe Braz does a set? It is funny since Braz did the CAD drawings for the kit, perhaps the error was not picked up until after the moulds were created. Who knows?

:worship:

• 3 months later...

The engines I ordered from AHS arrived not that long ago, but I'm afraid that it won't be enough to save this build before the deadline. Other projects have come online and summer weather (what little we're getting in Calgary) is keeping me otherwise occupied. Hopefully by.... Christmas? :thumbsup: Still, I did manage to get another transport done.