Hasegawa F-14B Tomcat VF-143 Pukin Dogs 1/48

What do you get when you cross a bird with a cat and a dog? A Pukin Dogs F-14 Tomcat! Get it??? *groan... Ok, that was a horrible one.

Fightertown Decals and VF-Decals Tomcat stencils used. I'm still deciding whether to use any ordinance, if so, I'll just put in 2 GBU-12s. These are just preliminary test shots I did tonite. I was hoping to shoot the jet in natural sunlight to get the correct lighting to capture the realistic colors. But it's been pouring here in San Francisco for the past few days and few more to come.

Enjoy!

NOTE: The forward slimelight on the port side was striped off during masking. I'll have to fix that later.

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Beautiful! I have those decals and I am saving them for a time when I can do them up right! If you need a replacement for the slime light Brian at Fightertown sent me a couple of spares, let me know if you want one, or ask Brian. I did the exact same thing, in the same place on my VF-32 with my Fightertown decals. I wonder if Brian know that the front port side slime lights are defective...

Hi,

Great build! I'm also impressed by the well done weathering.

I really like how the slimelights seem to actually glow. Did you do anything extra with them or did is this normal for the FTD slimelights?

Or is it an effect caused by the (flash) photography? The ECM antennas seem to glow too.

Cheers, Stefan.

Thats a lovely model, and I was struck by the slime lights too, very effective. I considered doing the ones on my model with glow paint, but in the end, I didn't bother. Still, an idea for the future perhaps.

Lovely work, is it just F-14's that get this weathered? I've not seen it on other jets quite in the same way?

Thats a lovely model, and I was struck by the slime lights too, very effective. I considered doing the ones on my model with glow paint, but in the end, I didn't bother. Still, an idea for the future perhaps.

Lovely work, is it just F-14's that get this weathered? I've not seen it on other jets quite in the same way?

Matt-

We used a specific color for the slime lights when VF-Decals was in business, and you may have to ask Mike Pister what color he used since he did the art work for the sheet.

Also, F-14's, F-18's, EA-6B's get pretty weathered while on a ship. Salt water keeps the corrosion control guys busy which is why you see a lot of light grey spots on the panels and what not.

• 1 month later...

Yeah man, you nailed it! That looks as much like a fleet bird as any piece of plastic possibly can. Put that on a piece of scale flight deck and the only thing missing is the JP5 and hyd fluid smell and the whirr of lots of Titanium turbine blades turnin'& burnin'. <_< Bravo Zulu!

Hey man, BTW you know pronunciation on the squadron name is crucial. When I was at Oceana I was educated by a VF-143 plane captain that in the squadron vernacular the name was pronounced (PEEE-Uk'n DAAAAWGs!!! followed by several loud barks)

Edited by Expat Tomcat