HAF TF-104G 1/48

Hi..

This is my first in progress thread on this forum... This model was actually started as a part of "Gone but not forgotten" GB, but I 've failed to finish it on time, so here are the old and the rest of the progress pics...

Model is Hasegawa, 1/48th scale wit some aftermarket acc, like Aires cockpit, wheelbay, exhaust and Icarus "Hellenic Air Force Jets pt.2" decals.

Cockpit is like a dream to build,only film supplied with the PE was too thin, so instruments were barely visible, so I decided to put instruments from my spare decals...

tf-104_21.jpg

tf-104_20.jpg

tf-104_28.jpg

tf-104_27.jpg

tf-104_22.jpg

tf-104_25.jpg

tf-104_17.jpg

Exhaust is also great, no fitting needed, it's a direct replacement for kit part.

tf-104_15.jpg

tf-104_16.jpg

Edited by kiki.o

New progress shows the assembled model with first layer of paint. This paintjob is just an rough one, the finer lines and corrected camoflage will follow as soon as the paint dries, hopefully in a day or two...

tf-104_32.jpg

tf-104_33.jpg

With fuel tanks or without... Dunno yet . :woo:

tf-104_34.jpg

tf-104_35.jpg

Also, i've prepared 3 tones of each color - base color, darker and lighter one, and will try to simulate the faded color, by Honza's advice.

tf-104_30.jpg

Now follows the fun part, painting and weathering, so I hope things will go faster now and I'll have something more to share with you.

'Till then,

Kristijan.

Edited by kiki.o

Awesome paintjob...veeeeery neat man!

a thing though....

watch out that you have the fins of the wing tanks installed incorrectly...they must be reversed...ehm ehm i dunno how to explique but i did the same error in the past..

look here...

(Sorry Paolo I robbed a pic of one of your 104's LOL...)

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/f104spm_11.jpg

you see the difference in the position of the fins?

Cheers and great job again...can't wait to see more..

:pray:

Jack! Whay dont you ask??!? :D

Yes, wingtip tanks tails are inverted, check with a real one B)

34fz4zt.jpg

but that cokpit is awesome!

Would you also like to paint mine???? Have a few in the stash..... :whistle:

Edited by Paolo Maglio

LOL..

That's what happens when you don't pay attention when modeling. :doh:

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ah, nevermind, my decision is now easier - It's gonna be non-tank configuration. :nanner:

Thank you all for your kind words. Aires aftermarket parts are simply superb, the level of detail is amazing, so all you have to do is tu put some paint on, and it will look fabolous.

On the other hand, these sets are pain in the a** to install, but they are worth it.

Kristijan

Edited by kiki.o

Kristijan,

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. The cockpit and seats are wonderfully painted, as is the exhaust. Whilst the detail may be moulded on, it surely must take some skill to paint them all so realistically.

I know you said you had decided not to install the tanks, but I'd love to see how you weather them and the aircraft; I suspect you'd do a fabulous job. It can't be too difficult to correct the tanks' fins? Anyway, this thread will be a must-revisit as you continue to make headway.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thank you all :bandhead2:

I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to fix it, just takes some time.

Maybe just leave them off and use them as underwing tanks on other project, since I need to scratch tank fin for those underwing tanks anyway.

I hope weathering will turn out OK, we'll see. This is my first "heavy weathering" project, so I hope I wont over-do it. :woot.gif:

Regards,Kristijan

Hi all...

Here's some progress...

Weathering stage started, this is the part 1.

I am trying to achieve heavily weathered look with some serious paint fading. :deadhorse1:

tf-104_36.jpg

tf-104_37.jpg

tf-104_38.jpg

Some more paint shading to follow, hopefully with some filters and pigments, too.

I hope that I won't over do it. :lol:

Kristijan

Edited by kiki.o

Looking very sweet. I'm sure she will turn out extra-ordinary once the faded-camo has been blended in !!! :deadhorse1:

What decal-sheet are You using. I noticed there are markings on it for a "Tiger 104". Could it be that sheet hold the decals for the Belgium Air force

Tiger 104 "FX52"...??? And if so, would You be willing to part from them...??? Sure would be interrested !!!

In the mean-time, keep up the good work !!!

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

Thanks for the update, Kristijan. Your photos and descriptions are a great guide to weathering; if this is just the first stage, then I'm really curious to see how this will conclude..... keep it coming.

Andrew.

Thank you all for your kind words. I am really glad you like it.

Next I'll try to put some more faded paint on(lighter one of each color) and to blend it in before decaling.

Now I am messing with some detail painting(wheelbay covers, landing gear, wheels, etc...), I hope that I'll have something more to share soon. :wave:

What decal-sheet are You using. I noticed there are markings on it for a "Tiger 104". Could it be that sheet hold the decals for the Belgium Air force

Tiger 104 "FX52"...??? And if so, would You be willing to part from them...??? Sure would be interrested !!!

Spooky, I am using the Icarus Decals - "Hellenic Air Force Pt.2". That tiger camo is not the Belgium one, sorry. It is the Hellenic F-104 "Tiger", from the withdrawal ceremony in the '93. If you are still interested, let me know, I won't be doing that one(although I like showbirds, there are many more F-104s to be built before that one :))

Kristijan