What If the NF-104 went operative?

I risk of to add myself to this Group Build:

Usually I'm never able to complete a model at 100% but this time I will join to this group to have a reason to complete finally a model.

The my idea is of a F-104 with two engines, and at the beginning I was intentionate to do a BAC LIGHTNING kind of F-104:

1.jpg

But lookinhìg at the photos of the rocket assisted NF-104

NF104.JPG

the project is changed to this:

2.jpg

The idea is of an operative version of the F-104 developed from the experiments made from Nasa with the NF-104.

To add a more complexity to the conversion I choose to insert at the top of fuselage another canopy as made from Lockheed in the U-2 trainer and to the trainer's versions of the A-12 and SR-71.

Tthe my kit is based on the MONOGRAM F-104G scale 1/48 with pieces taken from the F-16 and from another F-104 from ESCI.

At today I'm at the beginning of the conversion, the model is divided in two parts, front & rear and I'm working on the two separate parts. As every parts will be ready I will join the complete fuselage.

This afternoon I made a photo of the F-104 holding together all the sections with tape and blue tack so is possible to see what I made at present.

Look here:

11.jpg

Here is a snapshot of the ROCKET PACK

(It's made with two F-16's wing tanks and with the central tank again from a F-16, the front part is taken from a pod present inside the British Phantom from REVELL )

13.jpg

This is the front part with a section added (taken from an ESCI F-104) :

3.JPG

Here are the WINGS, enlarged in every direction because the originals are too little even for the original F-104!!!!

7.jpg

This is all for now.

A more complete set of photos is available here: http://digilander.libero.it/gmarcat3/f104rocket/index.html

More news when will be possible. :wacko:

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy

I'll be watching this. A F-104 with bigger wings automatically gets me attention. can't wait to see how you do the rocket engine and the 'pits.

(this reply was posted just as the original thread was edited to include the new photos)

Looks sweet! :deadhorse1: Can't wait to see more.

Edited by sv51macross
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is looking great!

Thank You!!

yesterday I cut away the resin nose fitted initially because, when sanding the connection of the nose to the fuselage, I did some mistakes.

Click on the image for a large version.

2small.jpg

the two noses face to face: at left the new plastic nose (an underwing tank taken from the F-16) and at right the original resin nose.

3-5small.jpg

http://digilander.libero.it/gmarcat3/f104rocket/temp/3.jpg

http://digilander.libero.it/gmarcat3/f104rocket/temp/5.jpg

The original nose and the added canopy:

4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update:

One month later, after 3 hands of Mr Surfacer sprayed with the airbrush and some sessions of careful sanding, I finally feel myself ready to try the Natural Metal Finish.... And as foresee even the micon size imperfections in the surface have appeared.

However, this is the result of today's first layer of HUMBROL 11 (silver) mixed at 1 to 4 ratio with the Humbrol's Gloss Cote:

f-104-rocket-silver-small.jpg

Wow, thats 100% Gerry Anderson! Thunderbird 7 perhaps? :whistle: Nice work!

Denzil

The original plan was of to add the nose with the shape of the SR-71 and ever from the Blackbird also the square shaped canopies but these details would have add more time to the building process so I left loose.

- certainly ....unique. Nice "streamlining" of the airframe

-I'm thinking more a Captin Scarlet than Thunderbirds........?

• 3 months later...

I have lost a lot of time because I tried of to use on the model the "hair spray tecnique":

The inspiration was given to me by this photo of an early Usaf Phantom in Vietnam with the SEA paint heavily weathered:

phantom-vernice-scrostata.jpg

Since that the use of the Hair Spray tecnique do not allow of to have more time between a layer and another I choose DO NOT replicate the SEA camouflage choosing a more fast SR-71//U-2 black finish heavily stressed.... BAD IDEA.

First given a layer of chrome paint from a household spray paint can found in a supermarket:

f-104rocket-cromato.jpg

then the decals

f-104rocket-cromato-decals.jpg

A hand of HAIR SPRAY covered with Gunze's flat black.

f104rocket-chiazze-1.jpg

The black paint removed at spots using a brush wet of water reveal the paint under surface:

f104rocket-chiazze-11.jpg

The result was demential... look like if the aircraft is victim of an out of atmosphere reentry (like the Shuttle. But it's not a shuttle).

As result I have stripped away all the paints and decals and opted for the more calm Israeli finish.