Karl Richter's F-105 Thunderchief

Does anybody happen to have any information about or photographs of Lt. Karl W. Richter's F-105 Thunderchief? I've always wanted to build his plane for my dad, who served with Richter in the 421st TFS at Korat Air Base, Thailand during Vietnam. I haven't been able to find any references for his plane, though.

In case you're wondering why I don't just ask my dad, it's because I want it to be a surprise!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

There was a thread on this subject a few months ago, either in Jets or in the Reference section, so you might try doing a search of these sections and try to find it. I know it had the serial number and some other info about the ac.

I read a book called When Thunder Rolled, by Ed Rasimus, a few months ago and it contained some stories about Carl and there were a few pics of him in there, and I think there may have been some pics of his plane.

Try to find that thread I mentioned above as it had as much about the ac as I've come across.

regards,

Gary F

• 5 months later...

Hi Justin,

did you come up with something allready? I know his personal mount became 59-1766 after his Mig shootdown sept. 66.

However this a/c was lost 28 feb 1967, 5 months before Richter was shot down himself, by another pilot.

The one Karl was shot down in was 62-4334, but was not his personal a/c.

I do have some photo's which shows a Thud with Karl's name on it, however it's not his, the pic was staged.

59-1766 is supposed to be called The Stinger..

I am starting the build on Karl's a/c as well..

Regards,

Sid

Hi Justin,

did you come up with something allready? I know his personal mount became 59-1766 after his Mig shootdown sept. 66.

However this a/c was lost 28 feb 1967, 5 months before Richter was shot down himself, by another pilot.

The one Karl was shot down in was 62-4334, but was not his personal a/c.

I do have some photo's which shows a Thud with Karl's name on it, however it's not his, the pic was staged.

59-1766 is supposed to be called The Stinger..

I am starting the build on Karl's a/c as well..

Regards,

Sid

All the information Sid supplied is correct----

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody happen to have any information about or photographs of Lt. Karl W. Richter's F-105 Thunderchief? I've always wanted to build his plane for my dad, who served with Richter in the 421st TFS at Korat Air Base, Thailand during Vietnam. I haven't been able to find any references for his plane, though.

In case you're wondering why I don't just ask my dad, it's because I want it to be a surprise!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

First published documentation for Richter's F-105 being 59-1766 in Theo Van Geffen's "Profile 226", page 82, published June 1971.

If anyone would like a scan of that page, please email me.

Dave McNeil AKA Karlsthud

I read a book called When Thunder Rolled, by Ed Rasimus, a few months ago and it contained some stories about Carl and there were a few pics of him in there, and I think there may have been some pics of his plane.

The plane in which Karl Ritcher was shot down was the one wearing the name of the very Ed Rasimus. Should have had a batman logo on the fuselage.

The plane in which Karl Ritcher was shot down was the one wearing the name of the very Ed Rasimus. Should have had a batman logo on the fuselage.

I have seen a photo of the art on the side of 62-4334, taken in 1967. She was call The Blue Max then. Understand it had been LTC Ken Hites F-105.

Ken was the CO of the 421st, Mid Feb to mid May 1967.

Dave