Panel Line Wash

I am looking for a good simple way to do a panel line wash (or wash in general for cockpits, wheel wells, aircraft body panel lines, weapons). Some told me to paint the jet, gloss coat or future it and then use Model Master Gloss Black (must be gloss paint to flow proper in the panel lines) and really it thin down the Gloss Black with Testors Thinner and then apply with small brush, let it run into the panel lines, wait about 30 minutes and then take cotton swabs dipped in Testors Brush Cleaner and wipe off but leave black in panel lines.

Is there other ways of doing a wash? Other kinds of paints and thinners to buy and use? Does the paint have to be gloss? Should it always be black paint or go by the color scheme?

Is there other ways of doing a wash?

Yes. You can try acrylic washes, but I would HUGELY recommend Oil washes since they're easy to mix, easy to apply, easy to wipe (the FUTURE coat is INDISPENSABLE). Acrylic washes are harder to get them ready to apply.

Other kinds of paints and thinners to buy and use?

I use my regular hardware store Thinner, with MM enamels. No complaints what-so ever.

Does the paint have to be gloss?

It is recommended, but not indispensable. I do my washes with flat paints, too, and I've gotten good results.

Should it always be black paint or go by the color scheme?

This one is a no brainer. How would a White airplane look with a black wash?... Or a Black bird, like the F-117, with a Black wash?

I would also recommend to DIP the cotton swab in thinner (or mineral spirits) and remove ALL excess solvent with a napkin or some tissue paper. You need the swab to be DAMP, NOT WET.

I did my Mexicana A319 with Dark Ghost Gray wash on the white part, and a Medium Gray wash on the bottom, gray part:

02130015.jpg

HTH!

Take Care

Or you can do it the really easy way and get yourself some Promodeller wash (available in 6 different colours)... Braush it on all over the model on top of a Klear coat......allow to dry fully......moisten some kitchen paper ad wipe it off......simple

I use artist's oil paints thinned with Mineral Spirits. I apply over a coat of Future.

The artisit's oils are very slow drying and wipe off easily, usually without even requiring thinner. I normaaly just use a soft cloth. They are also easy to mix for custom shades, and the tubes last a long time.

If you're in the States, just go to WalMart or K-Mart or another large store and buy the Apple Barrel or Delta acrylic paints. Mix them with water and a drop of liquid dish soap and you'll be able to make great washes. I bought three colors two years ago, black, white and brown, and mix them to whatever shade I wish. They are about a dollar a piece and I still haven't finished the first bottles.

Does anyone know a online site I can order Promodeller Wash and Micro Mesh Finishing Kit? I prefer a Canadian supplier but U.S. will be fine too. Searched on the net and Promodeller was was from Europe, I would prefer not to order from that far away. I live in Canada.

Does anyone know a online site I can order Promodeller Wash and Micro Mesh Finishing Kit? I prefer a Canadian supplier but U.S. will be fine too. Searched on the net and Promodeller was was from Europe, I would prefer not to order from that far away. I live in Canada.

Well, I don't know about where to get them in Canada but Promodeller wash is available from Sprue Brothers and Micro Mesh is available from Micro Mark.

HTH,

Tom

Try Sprue Brothers He has very reasonable prices and his customer service is outstanding!

God Bless,

Ken

I was recently introduced to thinning artist's oils with odorless mineral spirits directly over acrylic (Polly S in this case) and got one of the best looking washes I've ever done.

Rick in Maine

Rick,

Didn't you find it difficult to remove the wash from unwanted areas, with Polly Scale being a flat finish? I've always seen that as an issue without a gloss coat. It tends to stain the whole aircraft, making everything too dark in my experience.